HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 5:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Marine and Cambie: Wholly Shit, what a transformation!
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 5:50 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
This one's disappointing. Most of these old-school factories and warehouses (mainly textile) have been disappearing - there aren't many left.
It is too bad. At this point as you say they're mostly gone. It is frustrating how easily they are demolished in NS.

Part of the problem is that many towns in NS have barely grown since the industrial Victorian era. For example Yarmouth NS was bigger than Kitchener in 1881 but now it is much smaller and that factory represents a lot of upkeep for a small town. They won't be filling a 200,000 square foot factory with tech startups in Yarmouth. But this does not explain all the demolition around the Halifax area. And I think realistically, stabilizing one Victorian mill exemplar per town is not really that out-there. Northern England probably has 100x as much of this and is no wealthier than NS.

I don't think people in NS value their history much and there is still a lingering "we can't have nice things here" culture. This might sound a bit controversial but I think this culture has to some degree moved on to complaining about housing affordability as the excuse du jour though the connection is tenuous (in the early 2000's the excuse was business-friendliness that required zero standards anywhere; we will go backrupt if we don't allow a tilt-up Wal-Mart downtown). The attitude is one of my least favourite NS-isms and I think it has seriously degraded the environment in the province compared to what it could have been.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 6:02 PM
Volatile Pacivist

It's ironic that the "marine railway" building that was part of the canal restoration replaced another historic factory that was demolished about 20 years ago. It was one of the world's most storied ice skate manufacturers. https://historicnovascotia.ca/items/show/38

Although afaik the canal had nothing to do with the demolition.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 6:19 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The demolished Windmill Rd building in Dartmouth was part of this complex originally:

Source

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 7:59 PM

Pointe-aux-lièvres

This geographically central part of town, flanked to the east by Limoilou and to the south by St-Roch, used to be heavily insdustrial. Factories were eventually torned down but it lay as a wasteland for a long time because it was/is very expansive to proceed with soil decontamination.

Here's what it looked like in the 1970's:

https://societehistoriquedequebec.qc.ca/juillet-2018/

1990's (the river banks hadn't been re-naturalized yet):

2019. All the vacant lots surrounding/near the tallest tower in this pic are presently under construction. The last warehouses in the center left have been expropriated and will be demolished by the city soon enough.

A new park pavillion and a new pedestrian bridge linking Pointe-aux-Lièvres and Limoilou have also been built in 2021.

https://www.facebook.com/Stephane.Gr...grapher/photos

https://cecobois.com/projets/passerelle-de-la-tortue/

Last edited by davidivivid; Feb 15, 2022 at 1:50 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 9:12 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The demolished Windmill Rd building in Dartmouth was part of this complex originally:

Source
I had no idea there was ever anything that big there!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 9:29 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I had no idea there was ever anything that big there!
The Piercey's building was originally much larger too. It was a 3 storey factory that got damaged in the explosion:

https://fairviewhistoricalsociety.ca...-worked-there/

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 9:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
This one's disappointing. Most of these old-school factories and warehouses (mainly textile) have been disappearing - there aren't many left. Randomly stumbled across this one in Yarmouth:

One of the only other remaining ones, in Windsor. 1/3 of the building is being preserved and redeveloped while the rest has been demolished by now:

Piercey's (independent hardware store in North End Halifax that got bought out by Rona) would have looked similar under all the grey paint; it was one of the only industrial buildings in that area to survive the Explosion:

Finally, what was left of a once-sprawling rope factory in Dartmouth; based on the first floor it would have been about as old as the Keith's Brewery or the oldest buildings at Dal:

On the bright side, the Shubenacadie Canal has been getting restored:

Note how long the canal was in operation By the time it was completed, it was mostly obsolete, and during that 10 years it was used to build the rail line that replaced it and led to its closure. The canal itself took substantially longer than 10 years to build - multiple waves of immigrants over several decades. The "Marine Railway" was a section of the canal that carried boats over land on rails.
That one in Windsor has been a familiar sight for me my entire life, as it's very visible from Highway 101.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That one in Windsor has been a familiar sight for me my entire life, as it's very visible from Highway 101.
I think it was actually operational as recently as the late 90s/early 2000s. I remember getting a tracksuit there in my early teens.

I'm pretty sure the old Stanfields factory in Truro still churns out t-shirts and boxer briefs but I think that's all that's left of the large-scale textile/garment industry here. Of course there are newer companies like East Coast Lifestyle but other than stuff like silkscreening and limited-run artisinal products I don't think much of the manufacturing is done locally.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 7:03 PM

[QUOTE=davidivivid;9505715]Pointe-aux-lièvres

2019. All the vacant lots surrounding/near the tallest tower in this pic are presently under construction. The last warehouses in the center left have been expropriated and will be demolished by the city soon enough.

A new park pavillion and a new pedestrian bridge linking Pointe-aux-Lièvres and Limoilou have also been built in 2021.

https://www.facebook.com/Stephane.Gr...grapher/photos

I love this park. My cousin lives in the apartment in the upper right, we went to the dog park a few times and I admired the Quebec City skyline from the grassy hill! Thanks for posting these pics!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 8:04 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's too bad. It really was a landmark.

There was another old stage coach inn around there from the 1760's that was registered and the owner tore it down in violation of the rules. Maybe they'll be fined, but either way it's gone.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It's too bad. It really was a landmark.

There was another old stage coach inn around there from the 1760's that was registered and the owner tore it down in violation of the rules. Maybe they'll be fined, but either way it's gone.
I'm not expecting much to come from the demolition of Reid House. Punishment will probably some fine that won't mean anything to the developer and a finger wag from the courts.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada