HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 10:51 PM

Thursday Afternoon Delight and News

Drivetrain - 3299 Brighton Blvd

Photo courtesy Thomas Gounley/BusinessDen

Thomas Gounley-BusinessDen has a fun "Project Snapshot" (with additional photos) of Drivetrain by San Francisco-based Carmel Partners. With a Denver office, Carmel CEO Ron Zeff was Denver born and raised.

1775 Federal Apartments
Preleasing Now - Offering one month free rent

Image courtesy courtesy of OZ Architecture

This is Modular Construction and Mile High CRE currently has an article about Modular construction.

The name Westside Development keeps popping up

The first time I recall hearing of Westside was with respect to their purchase of Loretto Heights. They subsequently acquired Park Hill Golf Club for redevelopment.

Westside is primarily a land developer and have developed projects or acquired land for development up and down the front range. If curious you can find their portfolio HERE.

The DBJ's Crane Watch has some interesting updates on two of their Aurora projects including High Point. They explain how Westside was getting ready to sell some early development bonds when COVID hit and the bond market froze up. It has since thawed and they recently were able to sell two bond offerings for ~4.75%.

Lastly

It must be nice to have lots and lots of money.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 5:12 AM

While I was following the Dodgers vs Braves baseball game...

I decided to check out Bisnow which I do once a month or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
The biggest impact that I do see to commercial RE is on the lower end of the quality spectrum. If a company goes hybrid they are going to want their remaining space to be attractive, flexible, and central. That translates to Class A space that's located in desirable locations. This will ultimately be a boon to downtown and suburban TOD located along the commercial corridors. The north (Bellview Station) and south end (Lincoln/Lone Tree) of the Tech Center corridor are primed for further growth. It's the B and C class space that are screwed IMO as office space. I can see a good chunk of these towers downtown renovated as residential space over the next decade.
wong's instincts with respect to the future seem to be very good.

Blackstone's $275M Silicon Valley Buy A Potential 'Vote Of Confidence'
October 18, 2020 By Dean Boerner, Bisnow San Francisco Bay Area
Quote:
Blackstone has agreed to pay $275M, or $770 per SF, for two buildings leased to streaming company Roku in Hunter Storm's Coleman Highline office development, Bloomberg reports.

Image courtesy of Hunter Properties via Bisnow

NOTE: Bisnow (now) requires one to register to read their site (but no paywall).

On the negative side of the equation:
Quote:
In a survey released this month by tenant representation company Savills, more than half of tech companies reported plans to offload some of their office footprints in the coming months.
Blackstone's interest was driven by new, high quality mixed-use development with a credit tenant and nearby access to a Caltrain station.

Who else is interested in 'urban-style' development?
Quote:
Joint Venture Silicon Valley President and CEO Russell Hancock said the deal is another example of investors and corporations following the lead of Google, which plans on building a downtown mixed-use campus with over 7M SF of office.
Take a minute and scroll thru Google's planned development in downtown San Jose.

While the above two examples are more to the urban/suburban side of life I would emphasize the mixed-use aspect and access to rail transit.

What has all this got to do with Denver?
Stay tuned.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 5:52 AM

Have I mentioned (lately) my undying love affair with trains?

Photo courtesy Uncover Colorado

Yes, I still have full faith in the the future realized potential and value of Denver metro's investment in rail transit.

Downtown Denver and mixed-use

The two nearly full-block (bookends to LoDo) developments - Market Station and McGregor Square - are the epitome of nice mixed-use development. So is RiNo.

TOD - still an attraction with investors.

This would (especially) include 38th & Blake Street Station area as well as Broadway Station - and a half dozen other planned station area developments.

wong also mentioned Lone Tree and Belleview Station and I'd agree.

Denver's future looks very bright, whether in the central city or more suburban areas.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 3:22 PM

An update on a few development items:

New concept plan - 2000 Welton:
Quote:
18 Story Multi-Family Residential Building with 409 Units and 144 Parking Spaces in structured parking. 194 feet in height.
The developer is HUB Development, the group behind the......HUB project in RiNo.

New concept plan - 3650 Chestnut:
Quote:
Concept Zone Lot 1 - The proposed development consists of 4.49 acres of mixed-use development including office, residential, retail, hotel, entertainment, and open space. The development plan includes 326,000 GSF of office, three residential buildings totaling 426 units, 68,500 GSF of retail, 175 hotel keys, 1,163 underground parking spaces, and .44 acres of green space. The development will be broken into multiple phases as illustrated in the Hurley Place Concept Master Plan. Two 12 story buildings with a max. height of 150 feet.

Avalon Governor's Park (Racine's site) has entered the formal site plan review process:
Quote:
13-story, 304 unit apartment building with 290 parking spaces using the general building form. Max. height 149 feet.

A building permit application has been submitted for the redevelopment of the old Art Institute building at 12th and Lincoln into 194 residential units. (A new five story building is also proposed as part of the project, but no permit has been submitted for that yet.)

On a side note, construction has finally started on the 360 Acoma apartments in the Baker Neighborhood. It is a five story building with 171 units and below grade parking. The developer is now Lennar Multifamily Co.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 6:31 PM

Here are a bunch of images (from almost 4 years ago) of the Hurley Place Master Plan:

Here is the link to the article: https://denverite.com/2017/02/17/250...no-riverfront/

I would love to see that area between 38th and 35th and Brighton to the Platte River get fully built out. With the RiNo Art Park, the RiNo Promenade, and Number 38, that area will frankly be one of the more exciting parts of Denver if it meets its potential.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 8:54 PM

Here is a new rendering of the RiverPoint building expansion at 2300 15th Street. The building was reviewed by the Landmark Preservation Commission this week, not because it is historic, but because it slightly encroaches into the Denver Tramway Building historic parcel.

The new five story addition will add 142,000 square feet of space to the existing 54,000 square foot building, including 6,000 square feet of retail. Two floors of underground parking are also proposed. Anyway, here is the rendering:

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 9:07 PM

The Downtown Design Advisory Committee will be reviewing the final design for the Evolve Towers at next weeks meeting. The project is at Park Avenue West and Champa Street.

As a refresher, the project includes two 23-story towers over a common five-story base. 314 units are proposed. The building will be 267 feet tall including the fins extending above the roofline. Approximately 7,000 square feet of retail space is also included and 282 structured parking spaces.

Here are the latest renderings:

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 10:48 PM

I'm really hoping to see the Evolve Towers move forward although they look more like something I'd see in Miami. I feel like we aren't going to see stuff of that scale anytime soon unless we get a read out from the vaccine trials showing super high efficacy. We had more than 80,000 new cases of COVID-19 today and I'm concerned that this winter will be both a public health and economic disaster.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 11:31 PM

The brick work on the evolve towers doest show up too well in those photos. I think that building will fit in nicely with the brick core and the modern twist on top.

They are going to have to market the hell out of it's sanitary upgrades.

Imagineer moving into a new apartment complex and having the pool / sauna be shut down for a year

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 8:05 PM

https://businessden.com/2020/10/27/f...cent-property/

If this gets rejected NIMBYs will be throwing away almost 50 affordable units.

Question tho... why is there a state law that prohibits Denver or other municipalities from requiring low income units in developments outright? It’s not stopping the city from rejecting projects on that basis.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 8:22 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmc84 View Post
I think a lot of the commentary here on WFH impacts on commercial RE downtown miss the mark. The decisions going forward will not be binary (i.e. in the office 5 days per week OR WFH 5 days per week).

My company has at least 800 employees across the Denver metro (Boulder, Denver, and Tech Center area). We've all been WFH since March and our company has been very transparent about their plans post-COVID. Across the entire company we are being allowed to determine our own schedules once we return to the office - the vast majority of employees selected to work in the office 3 days per week or less.

The solution is that anyone working in-office 4 or 5 days per week will be guaranteed a desk, while anyone in the office 3 days per week or less will sit at open, non-assigned desks. This will allow us to significantly reduce the amount of square footage we need in the office. Multiply this across dozens/hundreds of companies and it's hard to see how that won't impact the demand for commercial real estate, at least in the short to medium term.
We are having the same discussions. I give it 6 months before companies realize that full-time WFH, and the routines that engenders, will not last or be the same as 3 days in-office, 2 days WFH. That's a four day weekend. People want that so they can do their damn laundry and still go to the mountains. I predict verifiable 30% loss in productivity once we transition from all-WFH to the-worst-of-both-worlds. It won't last.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
https://businessden.com/2020/10/27/f...cent-property/

If this gets rejected NIMBYs will be throwing away almost 50 affordable units.
What I want to know is why tf CdeBaca is putting the 'Globeville, Elyria-Swansea Coalition Organizing for Health and Housing Justice' in the drivers seat to call the shots for a proposed development that isn't even in their neighborhood? This is a new evolution from NIMBY to NIYBYE (not in your backyard either - I pronounce this Nye-Bye).

In a Denver Business Journal Article
the neighborhood group says they are fighting displacement of residents nearby.....but this project literally is replacing a salad factory in a different neighborhood, where it is surrounded by industrial buildings. So no displacement. No nearby residents. Oh, and not your neighborhood. Ridic!

Last edited by Robert.hampton; Oct 28, 2020 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.hampton View Post
What I want to know is why tf CdeBaca is putting the 'Globeville, Elyria-Swansea Coalition Organizing for Health and Housing Justice' in the drivers seat to call the shots for a proposed development that isn't even in their neighborhood? This is a new evolution from NIMBY to NIYBYE (not in your backyard either - I pronounce this Nye-Bye).

In a Denver Business Journal Article
the neighborhood group says they are fighting displacement of residents nearby.....but this project literally is replacing a salad factory in a different neighborhood, where it is surrounded by industrial buildings. So no displacement. No nearby residents. Oh, and not your neighborhood. Ridic!
Seriously.... The virtue signalling here is beyond nauseating. Anyone who knows this area knows the only thing being displaced is industrial space. Denver NIMBY'ism (or NyeByeeeeeee) is really over-the-top sometimes.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 4:53 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Seriously.... The virtue signalling here is beyond nauseating. Anyone who knows this area knows the only thing being displaced is industrial space. Denver NIMBY'ism (or NyeByeeeeeee) is really over-the-top sometimes.
"Sometimes" isn't nearly strong enough an adjective to describe NIMBY/NIYBYE the past year or so. People are anti-everything now. Hell, look at the medtronic thing in Louisville. "No thanks, we don't want a thousand jobs with an average salary of $186,000 - that's bad for our community".

I'm sorry, but we need entitlement reform and we need it bad - maybe the new supreme court will take it up if a developer has deep enough pockets? Property rights have completely left the conversation unfortunately. On the plus side, yay for the Carmen Court owners on Speer (and yay for Hines). I am most excited about that development because it's bringing more senior units to the centre city - wish we saw more of that (this coming from an evil millennial).

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 6:38 PM

A groundbreaking without shovels? What's with that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
On a side note, construction has finally started on the 360 Acoma apartments in the Baker Neighborhood. It is a five story building with 171 units and below grade parking. The developer is now Lennar Multifamily Co.
This project didn't ring my bell - until I googled the address. That's when I recalled the midrise next door to this site. I had obviously done the same search previously when discussed on these pages. I found the previous 'concept' rendering but I'll assume it's worthless.

This is great news, of course. Going out on a limb to suggest that Lennar received feedback as to better pricing from contractor/sub-contractors. Chances are the same people who Lennar has been working with loved the idea of more work. Plus it's always nice to work for a developer when you know the money is in the bank. I wonder if perhaps Lennar transferred some of the Golden Triangle designated money to this project?

Note:
Word on the Street is that bunt is brokering 'slightly scarred' lumber at amazing prices. Who knows, might have been the difference on this project?

Which reminds me:
Jugs of fresh apple cider have now arrived at your favorite (Kroger) store. Kroger branded cider is a $ cheaper but since I don't want my apples from the bottom of the barrel, of course I pay the extra $ for the branded variety.

Quote:
Avalon Governor's Park (Racine's site) has entered the formal site plan review process:
Also good to hear. Avalon, a really BIG REIT would have their own funding. With plan approvals the only decision might be building here as apposed to somewhere else but since they're moving forward that is a good sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
Here are a bunch of images (from almost 4 years ago) of the Hurley Place Master Plan:

Source

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 7:33 PM

Quote:
The Downtown Design Advisory Committee will be reviewing the final design for the Evolve Towers at next weeks meeting. The project is at Park Avenue West and Champa Street.

As a refresher, the project includes two 23-story towers over a common five-story base. 314 units are proposed. The building will be 267 feet tall including the fins extending above the roofline. Approximately 7,000 square feet of retail space is also included and 282 structured parking spaces.

Here are the latest renderings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
The brick work on the evolve towers doest show up too well in those photos. I think that building will fit in nicely with the brick core and the modern twist on top.

They are going to have to market the hell out of it's sanitary upgrades.

Imagineer moving into a new apartment complex and having the pool / sauna be shut down for a year
This was originally supposed to be (more) affordable condos but checking out their web site they do mention "tenants." Maybe it's an open question which way they want to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laniroj View Post
"Sometimes" isn't nearly strong enough an adjective to describe NIMBY/NIYBYE the past year or so. People are anti-everything now. Hell, look at the medtronic thing in Louisville. "No thanks, we don't want a thousand jobs with an average salary of $186,000 - that's bad for our community".
The Louisville decision was a head-scratcher. They bent over hoping to appease the nay-sayers but the opposition grew faster than they could meet demands which became unrealistic.

The Good News that they still intend to pursue another Colorado site even though they could go elsewhere without the hassle - like in Texas.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but we need entitlement reform and we need it bad - maybe the new supreme court will take it up if a developer has deep enough pockets? Property rights have completely left the conversation unfortunately. On the plus side, yay for the Carmen Court owners on Speer (and yay for Hines). I am most excited about that development because it's bringing more senior units to the centre city - wish we saw more of that (this coming from an evil millennial).
Big property rights fan here but not sure it would apply?

I caught the agreement with respect to Carmen Court. Glad to see this happen but it appears this may still take awhile.

Off the beaten path

I will be so happy, happy when this election is over. There is nothing so stupid and silly as American Politics. Still I'm fascinated by the process, the demographic breakdowns etc.

I start my day at "Axios" which is a newer site being funded by Steve Jobs wife as well as an easy-to-scroll thru start to the day. Reuters is still my favorite no-drama, credible source but these days I live at Politico because of it's excellent writing and insight.

Ofc Colorado is no-drama this year except wondering about the Gallagher Amendment? In AZ, the Trump family has been a frequent visitor but this state could very well turn blue. High probability that AZ ends up with its 2nd Dem Senator - something that hasn't happened in forever.

See you all next week.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 7:37 PM

Quote:

Ok so we're celebrating Hines because they want to demolish a beautiful, historic part of Denver's fabric and build...another generic residential building? Now I see you live in the suburbs where most things are generic, and I suppose you'll call me a NIMBY for daring to challenge market forces, but I'm just bemoaning the fact that this town could give two shits about historic architecture. Everyone is always screaming about property rights and the almighty dollar - it's a libertarian's wet dream. If the owner of the Brown Palace wanted to demolish the building, would even that cross a 'property rights' line for you? Would you have celebrated the replacement of the Aladdin Theatre with a Walgreens, back in the 1980s?

I'm no fan of CdeBaca either and her opposition to all development is blatant pandering to the anti-gentrification crowd, but it would be nice to see more people (like myself) in the center on this issue. It's so gross to see the owners at Carmen Court take 0 pride in this lovely building they call home, willing to send it to the wrecking ball if it makes them rich(er). You can be sure if I owned one of those units, I'd be fighting like hell to find a buyer who would preserve the building. I'm generally a fan of Hines' projects in Chicago, Minneapolis, etc...but this demolition will forever change my opinion of them.

Also if the mayor/city council really cared about preserving history, they'd enact overlays/policies in historic districts to prevent demolitions, instead of relying on neighbors scrambling at the 11th hour to fight property owners. The piecemeal approach to landmarking doesn't work in the long run (look at how much the city has lost and continues to lose), and it just builds resentment within the community.

Last edited by kemachs; Oct 29, 2020 at 8:04 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemachs View Post
Ok so we're celebrating Hines because they want to demolish a beautiful, historic part of Denver's fabric and build...another generic residential building? Now I see you live in the suburbs where most things are generic, and I suppose you'll call me a NIMBY for daring to challenge market forces, but I'm just bemoaning the fact that this town could give two shits about historic architecture. Everyone is always screaming about property rights and the almighty dollar - it's a libertarian's wet dream. If the owner of the Brown Palace wanted to demolish the building, would even that cross a 'property rights' line for you? Would you have celebrated the replacement of the Aladdin Theatre with a Walgreens, back in the 1980s?

I'm no fan of CdeBaca either and her opposition to all development is blatant pandering to the anti-gentrification crowd, but it would be nice to see more people (like myself) in the center on this issue. It's so gross to see the owners at Carmen Court take 0 pride in this lovely building they call home, willing to send it to the wrecking ball if it makes them rich(er). You can be sure if I owned one of those units, I'd be fighting like hell to find a buyer who would preserve the building. I'm generally a fan of Hines' projects in Chicago, Minneapolis, etc...but this demolition will forever change my opinion of them.

Also if the mayor/city council really cared about preserving history, they'd enact overlays/policies in historic districts to prevent demolitions, instead of relying on neighbors scrambling at the 11th hour to fight property owners. The piecemeal approach to landmarking doesn't work in the long run (look at how much the city has lost and continues to lose), and it just builds resentment within the community.
Please review this map to see the extent of historic protection in central Denver:

https://www.denvergov.org/maps/map/historiclandmarks

Carmen Court is not in a district.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 10:15 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemachs View Post
There's a set percentage of the community that bemoans anything that was built in this city post-1995. They moved to a single family neighborhood right outside of downtown and nothing should ever change in that neighborhood, by god. Developmental Luddites might be an appropriate term.

The neighbors of Camden Court who were so vested in preserving the building certainly can be considered Developmental Luddites. Of course their passion promptly dried up when they couldn't bend the council to their will. If they were truly passionate they would have started looking at how much funding they could raise to counter Hines' offer. But that would entail a greater risk than merely getting dirty looks while walking your lab.

It's similar to the people bemoaning the El Oasis Garden land sale. Making a webpage is one thing- raising $100K-200K with the specter of more would probably cause DUG to pause the sale to see if things how things would shake out.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Please review this map to see the extent of historic protection in central Denver:

https://www.denvergov.org/maps/map/historiclandmarks

Carmen Court is not in a district.
Thanks for posting - it's good to know these exist, but IMO there aren't nearly enough. How does the city decide which neighborhoods are worthy? Does everyone here think all historic buildings outside of these patchy zones should be scraped? Has Dana Crawford's legacy of preservationists just given up on this city?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West