HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldurhamer View Post
Also, don’t call me a troll. I could call you a motherfucker but that would be mean to your mom so i wont. I will consider calling you a racist asshole though since it’s clear what bullshit you’re prioritizing. And ignoring the pressured hispanic neighborhoods is prefect.
When the demand for living in a particular urban neighborhood dramatically increases in a short period of time, the vacancy rate drops to an "unhealthy" level and the real estate values rise far more rapidly than normal. As a result, two things (among others) happen: The neighborhood becomes so expensive that some of the lower-income residents can no longer afford to stay, and, developers develop because the pent-up demand presents an opportunity. Subsequently, gentrification and new development tend to coincide. It then becomes easy for some people to blame the one thing on the other. That's a myopic way of thinking in my opinion.

The people who frequent this forum tend to be the kind of geeks who read up on this development stuff. They tend to believe -- and IMO rightly so -- that increasing housing supply in neighborhoods with pent-up demand, eases the pressure on the market, and that, without it, gentrification would actually be worse because the value of such limited stock would rise even faster as more and more people compete for whatever piece they can get. Now of course you don't have to agree with that, but I hope you can at least see that there is some valid reasoning behind such an opinion, and that no one here is being unsympathetic to the displacement of Latinos -- let alone racist.

You have been consistently rude and abrasive from the beginning. Now I don't know if that's your true character, or if it's just a persona you take on for the purpose of trolling (I suspect the latter), but I would appreciate it if you would either make an attempt to be civil or leave.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Any bets on the company? I'm going to go with Checkr.
Looks like Andrew Dodson, DBJ read your post and took a flier by calling up Checkr.

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n..._news_headline
Quote:
Startup worker vetting company Checkr has identified Denver on its shortlist of cities for a new office.

“Denver made our new office shortlist for two key reasons: First and foremost, the city has a strong talent pool and a dynamic economy. Second, it's an attractive destination for workers wishing to relocate for a new job,” a company spokeswoman said in an email.
The updated piece also speaks to some of their missteps including settling one law suit. Eh, nobody dependent on data is always perfect.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Oh god we are voting to overturn the camping ban?...... ugh......
Please... no camping in Denver. With that said; we need places for people to go. And it just can’t be Denver making these investments. It has to be a regional cooperative that is mutually beneficial.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 4:30 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

I got a fancy new hunting tent for Christmas. You know how much commute time I am going to save setting that sucker up in Civic Center Park? I’ll go hone (all the way to the University neighborhood) for weekends. Only thing worth stealing is the stove maybe so I’ll have to keep that hot.

I was reading the actual language of Colorado’s “make my day” law the other day. I’m actually quite curious how this would interplay with that. If I’m allowed to pitch a tent, am I allowed to defend that tent?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 1:55 PM
Landbarge Captain

Quote:
Can someone please ban this person?.........
Seriously - the "mexican villages" comment was enough. He can go somewhere else to yell his hotep comments into the ether.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 2:12 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
I was reading the actual language of Colorado’s “make my day” law the other day. I’m actually quite curious how this would interplay with that. If I’m allowed to pitch a tent, am I allowed to defend that tent?
Hey, that would be a good rational to repeal the open carry restrictions in Denver. It discriminates against homeless who have no way to legally have their firearms with them.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldurhamer View Post
What is confusing to you about mexians being displaced to you? In a city in a housing crisis you’re concerned about wasting some of the best real estate in town on a museum dedicated to the omelette. Preserving toms diner over neighborhoods is a horrible trade.

Also, don’t call me a troll. I could call you a motherfucker but that would be mean to your mom so i wont. I will consider calling you a racist asshole though since it’s clear what bullshit you’re prioritizing. And ignoring the pressured hispanic neighborhoods is prefect.
Hahaha, a museum dedicated to the omelet. Has a ring to it! Try spell check and reread your posts before hitting submit, you'll sound more intelligent even if you aren't.

Just to clarify, the most racist comment on this thread is you calling Sloans lake and Cole "Mexican villages". That's what makes you sound like an idiot. That doesn't make me a racist, just you! Have a great day, troll!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 12:16 AM

Kiewit Campus in Lone Tree.

Phase one includes two buildings with 390,000 square feet of space, and a 970 space parking garage. The first phase can accommodate 1,770 employees. A second phase will include an additional 160,000 square foot building and another parking garage. At least the "front door" of the project is the new Sky Ridge light rail station.

Internal campus green:

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 12:32 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Can someone please ban this person?.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojiferous View Post
Seriously - the "mexican villages" comment was enough. He can go somewhere else to yell his hotep comments into the ether.

Yeah I'm not having it. Please message me directly if this person keeps going. Sorry I wasn't on this the past couple days guys.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post

Phase one includes two buildings with 390,000 square feet of space, and a 970 space parking garage. The first phase can accommodate 1,770 employees. A second phase will include an additional 160,000 square foot building and another parking garage. At least the "front door" of the project is the new Sky Ridge light rail station.

Internal campus green:

I like the design. The more transit-oriented development, the better IMO.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 5:15 PM

Anyone have any stats on how much does lowrise office development impacts ridership compared to lowrise residential development with roughly equal square footage?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 7:29 PM
Never Dell

If you live on a light rail line, there's a pretty good chance you'll work along light rail too.

If you work on light rail, it's very unlikely that you live along it too.

That omits the tendency to move to where transportation is better, but I bet it holds true.

And of course it omits buses.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 5:28 AM
Robotic Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
If you live on a light rail line, there's a pretty good chance you'll work along light rail too.

That omits the tendency to move to where transportation is better, but I bet it holds true.

And of course it omits buses.
This statement is contradictory and illogical. The second half of your statement invalidates the first half. Furthermore, my wife works near a light rail station, so anytime we look for a place to live, we always try to get as close to a station as we can afford. That is logical and I see no reason it wouldn't be a normal behavior. The biggest issue becomes affordablity. They try to charge a premium to live next to freight tracks and light rail, when it should be full of affordable housing for people who can't afford a car, or couples who can't afford two cars

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
That's impressive but intended for a construction company's engineers etc and building its own building makes it understandably nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post

For an 'outpost' Lone Tree is doing a nice job of creating (suburban) density and mixed used. When the 2.3-mile SE LRT extension opens in May,
it will provide Lone Tree with three stations.

The issue especially in the suburbs is first & last mile access and in Kiewit's case many of their employees will be able to afford nice housing and cars.
It will be interesting to see if Lone Tree runs micro-transit for their light rail stations along with servicing Schwab.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 10:16 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
This statement is contradictory and illogical. The second half of your statement invalidates the first half. Furthermore, my wife works near a light rail station, so anytime we look for a place to live, we always try to get as close to a station as we can afford. That is logical and I see no reason it wouldn't be a normal behavior. The biggest issue becomes affordablity. They try to charge a premium to live next to freight tracks and light rail, when it should be full of affordable housing for people who can't afford a car, or couples who can't afford two cars
If you see it as a math problem it's more clear. That's what my point is based on, while I acknowledged that choices are a factor.

People who moved their residence to a TOD area are pretty likely to have factored transit into that decision, and also might be more likely to be in demographics (age, car ownership) that use more transit.

People who work in a TOD area might choose to live near transit often, but at a far lower rate...this strikes me as almost a given. That's doubly true if the TOD is offices and the city's transit demographics skew toward the lower incomes as Denver's does.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 6:12 PM

Top of mind?

Transit corridor or people place?
Quote:
“Most people treat it as a corridor,” said John Desmond, executive vice president of downtown environment for the Downtown Denver Partnership.

Denver’s 16th Street Mall accommodates nearly 40,000 passengers on a free RTD shuttle and between 20,000 and 40,000 pedestrians on a daily basis during the work week. But out of those 60,000 or so people, only about 1 percent are lingering — window shopping, recreating and enjoying the mall experience.
It could be a nice 'camping' place.
Quote:
The Downtown Denver Partnership hosted an event last week to promote their opposition to Initiative 300 — legislation that would overturn the urban camping ban that Denver City Council passed in 2012. At that meeting, city officials discussed the 16th Street Mall redesign project and what steps need to happen before work could commence.
What's the public perception of the 16th street mall?
Quote:
In recent years, the 16th Street Mall experience has been a top complaint about Denver among convention and meeting planners, causing the city to lose business. The problem, which started gaining more attention in 2016, is largely due to a perceived growth of panhandlers and violence. Since then, there have been a host of suggestions on how to improve conditions and make the mall a place to shop, eat and relax
So what's the plan?
Quote:
While there have been refinements to the conceptual design based on public input, a reconstruction would push the transit lanes to the center of the street, expand sidewalks and allow more room for walking and café seating. The project is estimated to cost between $90 million and $130 million, according to city officials.
What's the timeline?
Quote:
the DDP and other stakeholders are anxiously awaiting a federal environmental assessment and analysis of a plan to redesign the 16th Street Mall... The government shutdown that lasted through parts of December and January slowed that process down and the city is still awaiting a response, said Jill Jennings Golich...

Once they get an OK from the government, there will be a 30-day public review and comment period. Then, the city, RTD and the Federal Transit Authority will evaluate, reach a final decision on a project concept and select a design-build team to construct the project.
Sounds like this process will continue for awhile.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Top of mind?

Transit corridor or people place?

It could be a nice 'camping' place.

What's the public perception of the 16th street mall?

So what's the plan?

What's the timeline?

Sounds like this process will continue for awhile.
Interesting information. I sure hope the "Let's go camping initiative" fails. Otherwise, the mall is going to be one ugly mess. It would be a disaster for downtown.

I will be shocked if it passes.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 2:50 AM

Tenants starting to abandon downtown.

while wong has already made an appointment to be first in line for the first tenant at LOT Twenty-Eight. Don't let the name Little Black Church confuse you; it's destined to be a destiny of decorated fine art. If the names Steven Waters and Patrick “Fish” King ring a bell then you know.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 3:29 AM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
while wong has already made an appointment to be first in line for the first tenant at LOT Twenty-Eight. Don't let the name Little Black Church confuse you; it's destined to be a destiny of decorated fine art. If the names Steven Waters and Patrick “Fish” King ring a bell then you know.
My ink would come out of one of the shops outside Fort Bragg. Thank you very much.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 2:16 PM

Anyone know where this is going to be? Is it the recent Tom's Diner proposal?

Uptown Condos
A variety of condominium sizes including market priced attainable units and deed restricted affordable for sale units in a community setting, along with retail amenities.

In the Works
Completion:
Anticipated 2021

https://mainspringco.com/projects/uptown-condos/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West