HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 2:51 AM

Love all the demographics data. But I wonder if it'd be better served in it's own demographics thread. I mean, yes it's indirectly economics data. But I think this thread is for more bread and butter economics news and discussions.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 4:45 PM

^moved. . .

. . .

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
but there are LOTS of options to street park your car on a side street near an el stop out in some random neighborhood and take the el downtown.

not that i would expect many tourists driving in from iowa to be savvy enough to take advantage of it, but for those that want to avoid downtown hotel's STEEP parking costs, that option is there with just a little bit of research.
Haha, it's funny I tried that one time. I parked way out by the Harlem blue line on a side street with 2 cars parked on it. I got ticketed for leaving my car there. I was going down to Florida for Christmas and New Years to see my Dad, and parked it for 2 weeks. Apparently, there's a law that says you have to move your car after a week that I didn't know about. Although I've left my car in Lincoln Square at the same spot for a month and it was never bothered. There's alot of cops that live in those far out city neighborhoods and they were probably pissed that I parked right in front of their house, or some little old lady was bothered by it. Even though the street was practically empty as everyone has garages out there.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Even though the street was practically empty as everyone has garages out there.
You gave yourself away right here

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 1:25 AM

anybody got old pictures of Oriental Theatre 24 West Randolph Street . New office has a view of the side of it and it looks like it has old windows bricked up...wondering what it originally looked like. Not much luck finding that angle online.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
You gave yourself away right here
Yea, well I was responding to how he suggested tourist do that and park in outer neighborhoods and take the train. In those outer neighborhoods people have garages. Its funny nobody cares when I park in a busy neighborhood with limited street parking, but when I parked in an area with tons of street parking available they wanted to ticket me lol.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:22 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Yea, well I was responding to how he suggested tourist do that and park in outer neighborhoods and take the train.
i never suggested that someone park in an outer neighrborhood and ride the train downtown, i said "random neighborhood".

if you're driving in on the kennedy, exit at irving and park on some side-street and then hop on the blue line at irving.

your street-parked car is not going to be noticed by anyone in a neighborhood like irving park.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:36 PM

Quote:
i never suggested that someone park in an outer neighrborhood and ride the train downtown, i said "random neighborhood".

if you're driving in on the kennedy, exit at irving and park on some side-street and then hop on the blue line at irving.

your street-parked car is not going to be noticed by anyone in a neighborhood like irving park.
Isn't Harlem and the Kennedy also a "random neighborhood"? So your saying a random tourist would be intimately familiar with Chicago parking patterns, beyond what a resident knows. That seems pretty unlikely.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:38 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
So your saying a random tourist would be intimately familiar with Chicago parking patterns, beyond what a resident knows.
no.

in fact, i said the exact opposite.

Quote:

not that i would expect many tourists driving in from iowa to be savvy enough to take advantage of it, but for those that want to avoid downtown hotel's STEEP parking costs, that option is there with just a little bit of research.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 18, 2019 at 3:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 4:30 PM
You had me at herro...

Quote:

This is very true. I live right at Independence Park. You can exit the expressway and park right at the end of Byron (always tons of parking, no permits or zones or anything) and you're a 30 second walk up a nice little sidewalk to the Blue Line entrance.

You want it really easy just get off at Irving Park, continue down along Avondale and park anywhere you want.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 4:51 PM

This is a nice article:

A DePaul economist's analysis concludes dire perceptions about the state's economy and growth are overblown.

In the article, they mention that the Chicago metro area ranks 49th of 388 in the share of overall population that has at least a bachelor's degree.

Many of the metro areas that rank higher than the Chicago metro area are, of course, college towns. Here is a list of the metro areas: https://ssti.org/blog/useful-stats-e...area-2007-2017

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 11:20 PM

Property tax rates in northeast Illinois

I sometimes see articles saying that Illinois has the highest tax rates in the country; largely because of it's high property tax rates. But then sometimes I see studies saying that tax rates in Chicago really aren't that high; i.e., they're kind of middle-of-the-pack for large cities and definitely lower than tax rates in NYC.

This morning, the Chicago Civic Federation issued a report which, I think, explains that both of the above statements can be true. The report compares 2017 property tax rates in Chicago and 31 suburbs. And shows that rates in the suburbs are quite a bit higher than in Chicago.

2017 rates for residential properties in Chicago and 11 Cook County suburbs were

Harvey: 7.08%
Chicago Heights: 5.01%
Elgin: 3.06%
Oak Park: 2.85%
Arlington Heights: 2.47%
Schaumburg: 2.44%
Orland Park: 2.36%
Elk Grove Village: 2.33%
Evanston: 2.15%
Barrington: 2.00%
Glenview: 1.99%
Chicago: 1.74%

Rates are also shown for commercial properties, again with Chicago rates being the lowest.

Click here for the SunTimes article.

And here for the Civic Federation report.

Last edited by TR Devlin; Oct 22, 2019 at 2:52 PM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 4:05 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

We need that riverwalk extension stat.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
We need that riverwalk extension stat.
I think once the riverwalk at the 78 and the southbank riverwalk are connected to Chinatown, the extension will happen.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
I think once the riverwalk at the 78 and the southbank riverwalk are connected to Chinatown, the extension will happen.
I don't think it's necessary. The tourists obviously hit the east branch riverwalk. Let the south branch be more chill for the peeps of Chicago. That south loop residential area is becoming a really interesting area unto it's own. Keep em separated. Besides, what could you do in front of the Lyric. It's practical a vertical wall to the edge of the river. That thing would get tagged every other Monday night

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 4:50 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
I don't think it's necessary. The tourists obviously hit the east branch riverwalk. Let the south branch be more chill for the peeps of Chicago. That south loop residential area is becoming a really interesting area unto it's own. Keep em separated. Besides, what could you do in front of the Lyric. It's practical a vertical wall to the edge of the river. That thing would get tagged every other Monday night
I can think of about a dozen amazing things you could do with a beautiful limestone backdrop along the river... movie nights on the river, plays, operas, concerts, etc, along the back of the Lyric Opera, with a cool stage there, lights blasting, sound blaring, fireworks on bridges on either side to top it all off...

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
I can think of about a dozen amazing things you could do with a beautiful limestone backdrop along the river... movie nights on the river, plays, operas, concerts, etc, along the back of the Lyric Opera, with a cool stage there, lights blasting, sound blaring, fireworks on bridges on either side to top it all off...

No offense kumdog, but that's the tackiest shit I've ever heard of. The river has become a draw because of the architecture. No three-ring circus please.

Wait. Were you kidding?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
No offense kumdog, but that's the tackiest shit I've ever heard of. The river has become a draw because of the architecture. No three-ring circus please.

Wait. Were you kidding?
Even the opera itself has tossed around the idea of projecting opera on the river side wall of their building. I don't think it has to be tacky depending on how it's done.

A stage is probably not going to happen given the depth restrictions, but there as been considerations of making the Opera Building site one of the accessible accesses along the river with a dramatic architectural ramp from Washington or Madison, or both.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 2:13 PM

Honestly the idea of movie night seems pretty cool, get a projector on it like Merch Mart...

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 3:46 PM

A couple years ago, the city commissioned a bunch of architects to come up with interesting ideas for future portions of the riverwalk, including the Civic Opera area.

Definitely more of a "vision" exercise than a feasible one, but there were a lot of creative ideas:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest