HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Sutton in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 11:33 AM

The Sutton Tries to Fit Into Midtown East

AILEEN JACOBSON
APRIL 24, 2015

Quote:
The Sutton, a 30-story condominium rising at 959 First Avenue, already towers over the traditional walk-ups nearby, but it will also borrow from the historic flavor of the neighborhood for its design.

The building will be clad mostly in bricks rather than in glass and steel, “to be reflective of a lot of the buildings that were erected a century ago,” said David Von Spreckelsen, the president of the New York City division of Toll Brothers City Living, the owner of the Sutton, which recently started selling its 113 apartments.

In addition, many architectural details have been inspired by the surrounding area, said Adam Rolston, managing and creative director of Incorporated Architecture and Design, which designed the building’s interior and facade.

“Our biggest influences were the immediate urban fabric,” Mr. Rolston said. Those influences included the neighborhood’s “grand luxury buildings like 1 Sutton, for scale and proportion” and for details like glazed windows that offer a view of a private garden from the lobby, he said, referring to 1 Sutton Place South, a 1927 building at the corner of East 57th Street.

The site of the Sutton, which includes the addresses 953-961 First Avenue, had been a vacant lot for several years. The site originally had a row of five-story buildings with commercial space on the ground floor and apartments above — similar to many buildings that still stand on both sides of the block. Metropolitan Café, a popular hangout with a garden in back, occupied 959 First Avenue from 1982 through most of 2006. “It was casual and fun,” said Chris Karalekas, who with his brother Nikos owns Mme. Eleanor’s, a dry-cleaning store at 952 First Avenue, across from the Sutton. “They served salad and burgers and pasta.”

By 2007, however, the space had become a hole in the ground. That’s when the Alexico Group, which had bought it, broke ground for a proposed rental building, Mr. Von Spreckelsen said. But the recession intervened and, he said, “They chose not to go ahead.” At the end of 2012, he said, Toll Brothers purchased the site for $64 million in cash. His company kept the foundation that the Alexico Group had built and hired Goldstein Hill & West Architects to design its building, which provides panoramic views that include the East River.

The Sutton, where apartments are priced from $950,000 for a studio to $11.75 million for a four-bedroom triplex penthouse with its own pool, is between 52nd and 53rd Streets. (One-bedrooms start at around $1.1 million, two-bedrooms at $2.1 million and three-bedrooms at $3.3 million.)

The building, scheduled for occupancy late next year, will have amenities intended to accommodate the area’s changing demographics, which lately have been skewing younger, according to Mr. Rolston and Mr. Von Spreckelsen, including a fitness center and a children’s playroom, and open kitchens in the apartments.

Though many residents welcome the new addition, several shopkeepers and residents said that some neighbors have reservations.

“I’m all for it, but some people don’t like the new high-rises,” said Paul Enea, who with his brother Frank owns Pisacane Midtown Seafood at 940 First Avenue. “They want old-fashioned and quaint.”

Sutton Place, a pricier neighborhood east of First Avenue, contains many historic buildings, but the area to the west (also called Midtown East) has seen more new construction, including two condominiums still being completed, at 301 East 50th Street and at 305 East 51st Street, the site of a deadly construction crane disaster in 2008.

Mr. Rolston said that for his inspiration, he reached back as far as 1875, when Effingham B. Sutton began building brownstones along the East River, where the waterfront had been populated with button and cigar factories and breweries. Custom-made bath and kitchen fixtures echo that industrial past, he said.

The three penthouses — a simplex, a duplex and a triplex — that top the building use black glass and metal in homage to a modernist penthouse on Beekman Place that he admires. But all the indoor surfaces are “durable, practical, cleanable,” and suitable for today’s families, Mr. Rolston said.

He said he didn’t expect future residents to recognize the historic roots: “People may not know it, but they feel it.”

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 6:55 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Tectonic

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 5:26 AM
Bostonian

Wow! Are they hand-laying brick here? You don't see that too much anymore...

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 11:24 AM

^ I don't think so. It appears to be an awesome treatment applied to concrete. You'll like it. Experienced in Paris already.

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 12:23 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downburst View Post
Wow! Are they hand-laying brick here? You don't see that too much anymore...
Some shots of the treatment. All credit to tectonic from wired new york.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
^ I don't think so. It appears to be an awesome treatment applied to concrete. You'll like it. Experienced in Paris already.
Yeah I believe so. Its takes too much time to hand place them. Speed is key with projects nowadays. An extra couple of days of delays could mean millions lost.

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 12:39 PM

Lol ok, I'll still have a fair excuse. Those bricks are super thin and weren't noticeable on the 1st shot.
Then I was just thinking of something like this.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7024/6...c7d03b14_o.jpg

That brown façade to the left. But it's actually not the very same effect, granted.

Thx for the pictures up close anyway, it's interesting.

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Yeah I believe so. Its takes too much time to hand place them. Speed is key with projects nowadays. An extra couple of days of delays could mean millions lost.
Again, I was wrong, however. It's not the treatment I was thinking of. But they don't (or rarely) lay bricks by following older methods. I guess it's too much of a waste of time.

Whatever, the effect to this building is very nice.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 9:55 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Facts

113 units
29 stories
Built in 2016
District Community District 106
City Council District 4
Police Precinct 17
Floorplans 35

Sales Listings 34 active sales ($1,906 per ft² avg, $2,560,578 avg price)

Architect: Goldstein Hill & West
Developer: Toll Brothers City Living
Interiors: Incorporated NY
Sales and marketing: Toll Brothers City Living
Sales office tel: 212.388.9194
Sales start: April 2015
===============================
http://streeteasy.com/building/the-s...venue-new_york

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 11:31 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 10:02 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This tower is so damn nice.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 3:27 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 4:40 PM
Metal Up Your !

That looks so authentic, it's amazing. Wish we saw more of this everywhere else.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 3:55 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Video Link

Quote:
The Sutton, 959 First Avenue

This 30-story, mid-block apartment building at 959 First Avenue between 52nd and 53rd Streets was scheduled for completion in 2016 by Toll Brothers City Living.

It is known as The Sutton and was designed by Goldstein, Hill & West.
It has 90 condominium apartments.Something of “a stranger in paradise,” this large apartment tower tries to minimize and mask its size with assorted light red façade subdivisions on top of a very strong and dark base that is mirrored somewhat at its top: you’d almost think it was packin’ heat and looking for a fight, but it’s actually a post-post-modern habitat that is pretty good at twirling its visual weapons.

SIZE STARTING FROM # AVAIL
1 BED$1,705,9903
2 BEDS$2,139,9905
3 BEDS$3,659,9904
6+ BEDS$19,500,0001

Last updated Mar 29, 2016

$2,032 AVG. PRICE / FT2
==============================
http://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/midtow...t-avenue/57411

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 4:17 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This project is essentially complete btw.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive