HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post

there is no call for a direct cinci to cols train.
The high speed rail route plan from the early 80s was the same as the current plan, Cin>Day>Columbus, not Cin>Columbus.

The big difference wasn't just the higher speed between the metros, it was the big-time grade separation in the cities. They were planning a continuous viaduct, roughly 10 miles in length, above the freight railroad mainline from Cincinnati's Ivorydale Junction to a railroad yard in suburban Sharonville, OH, where an unused passenger bypass would be reactivated. The bypass still exists: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2839.../data=!3m1!1e3

This planned viaduct elevated the high speed line over all local vehicular roads and all railroad spurs, but it also allowed two-way traffic in that corridor because....

...the whole problem with using the existing double-track railroad for this purpose is that there are actually two parallel double-track railroads in the Mill Creek Valley and the freight railroads operate them like a four-track railroad. This means that each double-track railroad is almost always one-way. Northbound-only for one double-track railroad and Southbound-only for the other.

To my knowledge, they are not planning to run Amtrak north/south split between these different parallel railroads.

This morning I sat in a meeting with a window looking out at this railroad. Multiple mile-long freight trains passed within an hour, all headed northbound. How do you slot a southbound train into this mess?

Here are the parallel railroads:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1914.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 4:44 PM
Show me the blueprints

Norfolk Southern is in a whole hell of a lot of trouble with this toxic derailment. I smell an enormous future lawsuit that at least part of me hopes ends in the government nationalizing their infrastructure. That would go a long way in facilitating the passenger rail needs of cities in the eastern half of the country.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 6:24 PM

Here is a graphic from yesterday illustrating the current contemplated plan. The population dots help illustrate why Dayton has been included as opposed to paralleling I-71 between Cincinnati and Columbus.

Well now I'm reading elsewhere that they're planning to use a completely different route and railroad than the one from ten years ago, so most of my recent posting on this thread does not apply. Previously, they were going to use the Norfolk-Southern Big Four line between Sharonville, OH and Dayton, which is double-tracked and extremely busy. Now they're planning to use all or part of the CSX CH&D line (Cincinnati, Hamilton, and Dayton), which is 5-8 miles longer. It is single-tracked between Hamilton and Dayton.

The confluence of trackwork in Hamilton is a total mess, with few grade crossings. It's going to be slow-going. I'm not optimistic about that area, since freight trains often sit around for long periods of time in and near Hamilton.

With the Precision Scheduled Railroading, they often run freight trains of two miles in length or longer. I have seen them sit still for an hour, blocking every grade crossing for miles. To get around the trains, you have to backtrack many miles.

They recently added the first grade separation on the south side of the city, and it cost $25 million.

Last edited by jmecklenborg; Feb 14, 2023 at 9:52 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation