HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 3:15 AM
Chicago

812 W Adams

March 14, 2023

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 5:15 AM

Late last year, The Neighborhood Hotel bought the landmarked former Mid-City Trust & Savings Bank building at 801 W Madison for $15M, with plans for a $20M renovation to convert it to a 80 suite apartment-style hotel.

I noticed a paper sign advertising that hotel and it's restaurant in one of the windows and the beginnings of work being done on the building earlier this year. But recently, that sign has been removed and I'm not seeing any reference to the project on their website.

I really hope that doesn't mean the hotel conversion has fallen through. That seemed like an great way to reactivate a stately landmarked building at a prominent corner.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 7:12 PM

What's happening at 151 N Michigan?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 11:56 PM
Chicago

Illinois Bell Building - 225 W Randolph

March 20, 2023

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewbs View Post
There's fencing around Brodaway Plaza mall at Broadway and Berwyn. It was bought in 2006 by Chody Real Estate (https://www.chodyre.com/properties), who seem to just do strip malls. They've been letting all the tenants go, so I guess the plan is to redevelop it into an updated version of the same? I don't see any permits, but I was wondering if anybody knew what the plan is. Sad that that stretch of Broadway is doomed to stay terrible.
Demo permit was issued yesterday. Apparently they're going to replace the 1 story building on the corner with a new 1 story commercial building and renovate all the other business spaces.

Such a lost opportunity.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 4:18 AM

I mean, looking at Chody's featured properties, there weren't exactly high hopes for this one. Unrelated fun fact: Lance Chody's wife owns Garrett's Popcorn

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 2:46 AM

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
It's been talked about here periodically over the years. Good to see some progress being made for a change... here are some of the proposals from the link.. hopefully these aren't just pipe dreams.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 8:13 AM
Small but Mighty

^^I'm only OK with this if they keep the same number of lanes. No making it bigger, like half the proposals. Renderings have the same number, so that's maybe a good sign? Would prefer a bus lane as well

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 3:05 PM

Interesting post following up on a previous article about skyscraper construction speeds

https://constructionphysics.substack...kyscrapers-the

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 6:29 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingfire View Post
If they would just cap the vehicle lanes this would be perfect. The added beachspace makes us look like Florida!
Well, we are the Miami of Canada!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 6:31 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
It's been talked about here periodically over the years. Good to see some progress being made for a change... here are some of the proposals from the link.. hopefully these aren't just pipe dreams.

I'd really love to see all these come to fruition. The best idea is to make a true land bridge over LSD connecting the park at Chicago Ave/LSD to the lakefront. Hopefully what happens in the coming decades is a demolishment of the Park District building and even the MCA to provide a long visual corridor looking to the lakefront path.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 6:32 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post

Looks fantastic, the site has even more images, all of which would enhance the lakefront so much. My only personal wish would be to keep going south, all the way from McCormick East all the way to South Works in South Chicago...although I'm fully aware of what a pipe dream that is.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 1:29 PM
Chicago

Dinner with a View | Pioneer Court - 401 North Michigan

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 1:46 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
^^I'm only OK with this if they keep the same number of lanes. No making it bigger, like half the proposals. Renderings have the same number, so that's maybe a good sign? Would prefer a bus lane as well
The new road will have full shoulders added plus a "clear zone" without any trees. That makes the "footprint" of the new road much bigger than what we have now, even without any new lanes.

Because rather than taming the speeding drivers with traffic calming and cameras, we have to kowtow to them with the road design so they don't kill themselves while driving 80mph on a 40mph road.

The "safety" data for each of the options has been published, and somehow the one that converts the left lane for buses only has the most projected crashes. So the engineers are juking the stats once again to support more space for drivers and less space for the rest of us.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
So the engineers are juking the stats once again to support more space for drivers and less space for the rest of us.
That's corruption... Disturbing. Some people are paying them for doing this, while they know it is wrong.

This is a cultural fight. As long as Americans think their cars reflect their success, you won't get over it.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The new road will have full shoulders added plus a "clear zone" without any trees. That makes the "footprint" of the new road much bigger than what we have now, even without any new lanes.

Because rather than taming the speeding drivers with traffic calming and cameras, we have to kowtow to them with the road design so they don't kill themselves while driving 80mph on a 40mph road.

The "safety" data for each of the options has been published, and somehow the one that converts the left lane for buses only has the most projected crashes. So the engineers are juking the stats once again to support more space for drivers and less space for the rest of us.
As long as they add 10% more parkland for every 1% of added road space it's not a terrible tradeoff. That seems to be what the images show. Now of course in reality they'll find a way to fund the road portion and then oops no money left for the park improvements.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 5:19 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
They capped alot of road space in those renderings...why not cap all the roadspace?
Money.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 5:25 PM

YIMBY has plans and renderings of a new development at 1225 S. Indiana.

https://chicagoyimby.com/2023/03/new...outh-loop.html

We knew this would be low-density since the PD for the NEMA towers was approved, but it would be nice to have a bit more depth for this part of the skyline on at least part of the site.

I also wish the design were a bit stronger – we're seeing nicer development of this scale at Madison + Carpenter, for example.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 9:40 PM

Quote:
^why is it closed off with no retail? in a prime spot like that?
Definitely not a prime spot for retail. There're empty storefronts all over the South Loop. No need to add more in a non-prime spot like this.

I'm pretty OK with this. Not everything has to be a tower...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development