HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 1:23 PM

La Aduana

For some years, I have been working on an imaginary city plan. I started drawing the plan in 2D but then I decided to create a 3D model. The evolution has been long, as I have not spent so many time working on it. By now, there is a detailed city plan and a few buildings, that have been placed in the model.

The city is located in a real spot besides the river Duero and consist of three islands bounded by the river itself and a canal. Other two canals divide the three islands.

The oldest part of the city is located in the northeast, occupying the smallest of the three islands. This part was built as a customs area for the freight transport through the river. The Customs building was erected and some other warehouses did too.

Shortly after this part, the city itself was founded and built, with a cathedral and other institutional buildings according to colonial cities.

Then, the industrial area and the modern city were built, from east to west. With this extension, the railway arrived.

The last built part has been the business district, located on the west island. Nevertheless, there is still a big gap between the old city centre and this part, creating an urban growing between this two poles.

I would like to show you detailed information of the city that I have, such a complete history and evolution and urban ordinances, but I will have to prepare it.

Here are some images of the city. I decided to make them conceptual, as I do not want to dedicate too much time working on it.

Here is the city plan. which shows the main ideas of the project.

This is the city transportation map.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 12:57 AM

Looks great
Are you going to add textures? Where is the cathedral? I'd like to see it.
And maybe you could check out my Remus city!

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 10:04 AM

Thanks! No, I am not thinking about adding textures, I just decided to make the renderings conceptual. The cathedral is located on the east part of the central island, in the main square. It is just a volumetry as the rest of the buildings.

Here you have a closer view of this building.

I add some new images with the streets projected on the terrain.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 7:01 PM

It does look good!

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 1:03 AM

Looks very well thought out. I bet there is a lot more in your head than we are seeing so far.
Really like the transit map.

What is the rough dimensions of the island?

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 6:04 PM

Thanks! Yes, you are right, there is much more in my head. In fact, I started the 3D model as a trial of the 2D planning. Some things are still rough, specially the terrain.

The city is not very big, as the central island has around five kilometers long per two kilometers wide. But I decided to limit it to the interior of the three islands, although there are some singuar buildings on the other bank of the river.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 8:53 PM

I add a new image of the main railway branch.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 9:03 PM

This is additional information superimposed to the aerial view.

This is the transit map.

This is a map including the main facilities of the city.

In yellow, railway stations.
In pink, health services.
In dark red, administrative buildings.
In light red, fair area.
In light green, parks.
In medium green, markets.
In dark green, university.
In orange, sport facilities.
In blue, tramways and trains depots.

A view of the university.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 6:30 PM

I like the effort you've put into this, it looks very well thought out. The transit system looks well planned and the city's layout and street grid looks realistic and is reflecting the city's history.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 1:56 PM

The amount of realism is just fantastic, and so is the amount of thought behind it. I could really imagine this being the model of a real city, which is not that easy to make up. I think it's perfectly fine to not use textures at this stage, as this conceptual look also has its appeals. I also particularly like those dynamic railroads with their flyovers and realistic radiuses.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 2:04 PM

Thanks to everybody!

I am planning an extension for the city in order to double its capacity. But I wanted to create a controlled expansion, according to some natural limits. I decided not to urbanize areas over the elevation of 660 meters over sea level. This contour line is exactly where the valley turns into mountain. The only areas over this elevation will be located in the three central islands, so that they can acquire a main postiion in the valley. For containing the east and west sides of the city along the valley, two existing forests are used.

Here it is a map showing the main new avenues and railroads. In a dotted line you can see the limits of the city.

This extension also includes an expansion of the transportation networlk. Some new lines have been planned, but as part of the old ones. In this way, these new lines are just branches or loops that serve the new areas. This deccission is made in order to maintain the needed changes for reaching the final destination in only one, so as lines just join and separate to make transfers easier.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup