HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 3:59 PM

Does anyone know what the roof height of this building is supposed to be? Is it lower than the Comcast Center, or about the same?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 4:03 PM

Tower's design is ok; would prefer if they either increased the height of the second set back to reach ~1000' or do a third set back like Late1's rendering (which looks great).

Is it me, or are the external renderings not quite to scale? The height to the roof should be in the 950' range but it doesn't look that way.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 4:21 PM

Subscribed!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 5:52 PM
welcome to the madness

I think the video is creepy--especially the way they make the CC look as if it's constantly peering down on the vertical campus section. It's like it's like saying to the workers, "Your boss is watching you!"

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Does anyone know what the roof height of this building is supposed to be? Is it lower than the Comcast Center, or about the same?
I believe 996'

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 7:35 PM

That video makes me want to work there, instead of in the s-hole of a building that Penn rents from Drexel LOL.

I was out at Epic Corp this week and will be again next week. They are quickly becoming the dominant vendor in healthcare. No offshoring, no Wall Street, month-long trip for you + 1 anywhere in the world on your 5 year anniversary paid for by the company, and numerous standards for the buildings their employees are in. No more than 500 people per building, preferably <350 to have a campus-like feel, fireplaces all over the place and all of them lit when its below freezing outside, tunnels between the buildings, all sorts of themes and art, offices for all not cubes, etc. It's an inviting company to both customers and employees and it's founder is still a billionaire.

Epic is certainly seeking to draw people in. But I have to say, while all that close-nit feel can be good, if Comcast actually does do all glass walls and so on like in the video especially in that physical location - that building is going to have a really high employee energy level. Perhaps inviting both collaboration and competition if such is possible.

Cheers,
G.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 8:53 PM
Hello

In the United States, this will be the tallest building outside of New York City and Chicago

New York City
Chicago

Empire State Building 1,250 ft NY

Comcast Innovation and Technology Center 342 m (1,121 ft) Philadelphia Proposed
Wilshire Grand Center 335 m (1,100 ft) LA Construction
Transbay Tower 326 m (1,070 ft) San Fran Construction
Bank of America Plaza 317 m (1,040 ft) Atlanta Built
Empire World Towers 312 m (1,022 ft) Miami Proposed
US Bank Tower 310 m (1,018 ft) LA Built
One Bayfront Plaza 308 m (1,010 ft) Miami Approved
JPMorgan Chase Tower 305.41 m (1,002.0 ft) Houston Built
820 2nd Ave. ??? Seattle Proposed

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
I believe 996'
Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
I believe 996'
So the renderings themselves are not visually accurate...If 996' to the roof, then the new building should appear to be clearly taller than the Comcast center, especially when seen from Fairmount Park, a la the renderings.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 10:07 PM

I think it might be 996' to the top of the elevator core just below the spire.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 10:09 PM

The roof in this instance appears to be the top of the podium shaped section that the blade extends out of.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 11:40 PM

From phillyskyline.com, by way of the Development Thread:

"The 125’ blade–the functional spire topping the building’s core removed to the western side–sits atop a pedestal that itself is on top of the building’s roof, which is shorter than Comcast Center’s roof."

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslader View Post
From phillyskyline.com, by way of the Development Thread:

"The 125’ blade–the functional spire topping the building’s core removed to the western side–sits atop a pedestal that itself is on top of the building’s roof, which is shorter than Comcast Center’s roof."
Then the renderings are visually accurate, its the roof that is too short. If they end up building this as-is (which they probably will as I don't see a design change this late in the game) then the building, at least for me, is lacking. Great addition to the skyline but could have been much more...

Not sure why they didn't go 1000' to the roof w/ a 120' spire/core....

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 6:54 AM

New Comcast Tower

I am shocked and in awe at the overwhelming delight toward this new Comcast Tower with not even one expressed concern about the proposed placement of this building. I have scoured the internet for postings, comments, etc over the horrific location of the proposed tower, and yet have only come across people ecstatic about the addition of this building.

Don't get me wrong, I am overjoyed at the addition of what would be the cities new tallest structure, and bear in mind; my issue with the proposed site presumes no knowledge of location of this tower do to technical necessity and the such; however, in terms of aesthetic considerations, not only does this tower add nothing to our cities skyline, it actually subtracts from it covering at least two beautiful skyscrapers directly behind it. again, barring any knowledge of zoning issues etc. "bunching" seems to be this cities new trend when it comes to developing towers in this city.

Philly's last edition, the Comcast Tower also seemed to detract from the breadth of our skyline by in my opinion being built to close to other buildings; at least I believed its positioning could have also worked to expand our skyline; my major concern is that this type of planning ultimately has the effect of creating a great big pyramid of rectangular masses further minimizing the impact of our skyline.

What is most disturbing to me about this project more than any other in my lifetime is that this tower single handedly has the ability to transform not only our skyline as second to none except NYC and Chicago, but also signaling to the world that Philadelphia has finally embraced the necessary image of a city seriously intent on becoming a world class city.

This new tower for me is not so much about its architecture than it is about its location. This building would nearly double our skyline placed anywhere east of city hall, and in the process assuredly creating future development as an expanded midtown corridor. This along with the ongoing development of the towers being built at the Cira Centres would reshape the image of this city throughout the world.

Last edited by lwill; Jan 19, 2014 at 6:56 AM. Reason: pic

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 7:02 AM

My proposal for Comcast location

[IMG]/Users/lanierwilliams/Desktop/philly skyline/23.jpg[/IMG]

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 7:58 AM

This tower is an amazing addition to the Philly skyline. It changes the focal point of the skyline, and maybe that is why some people have some trouble with. With this building, the focal point now becomes Comcast 1 and Comcast 2.

The skyscrapers that first surpassed city hall and reshaped the skyline were all built within 4 years. I grew up here, and it's tough to imagine Liberty 1 and Liberty 2 not being dominant any more.

This is a new wave. It's reshaping things again. And that is great.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 9:41 AM

Uhmm...the way the skyscraper will look from a single vantage point was about #1000 on the list of considerations in planning and designing this. Why would Comcast want to build thison Market East when they can fill in an embarrassing surface parking lot very close to the office core? It looks amazing from lots of vantage points. In some it blocks the views of other tall buildings, and in other vantage points it doesn't. In dense [world-class] cities, lots of tall buildings tend to coexist near each other. The materials and design will instantly signal world-class have no worries.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwill View Post
I am shocked and in awe at the overwhelming delight toward this new Comcast Tower with not even one expressed concern about the proposed placement of this building. I have scoured the internet for postings, comments, etc over the horrific location of the proposed tower, and yet have only come across people ecstatic about the addition of this building.

Don't get me wrong, I am overjoyed at the addition of what would be the cities new tallest structure, and bear in mind; my issue with the proposed site presumes no knowledge of location of this tower do to technical necessity and the such; however, in terms of aesthetic considerations, not only does this tower add nothing to our cities skyline, it actually subtracts from it covering at least two beautiful skyscrapers directly behind it. again, barring any knowledge of zoning issues etc. "bunching" seems to be this cities new trend when it comes to developing towers in this city.

Philly's last edition, the Comcast Tower also seemed to detract from the breadth of our skyline by in my opinion being built to close to other buildings; at least I believed its positioning could have also worked to expand our skyline; my major concern is that this type of planning ultimately has the effect of creating a great big pyramid of rectangular masses further minimizing the impact of our skyline.

What is most disturbing to me about this project more than any other in my lifetime is that this tower single handedly has the ability to transform not only our skyline as second to none except NYC and Chicago, but also signaling to the world that Philadelphia has finally embraced the necessary image of a city seriously intent on becoming a world class city.

This new tower for me is not so much about its architecture than it is about its location. This building would nearly double our skyline placed anywhere east of city hall, and in the process assuredly creating future development as an expanded midtown corridor. This along with the ongoing development of the towers being built at the Cira Centres would reshape the image of this city throughout the world.
Thats an amusing, visionary take on zoning issues haha .. How the building will look from certain angles is definitely a consideration for designers, its called the approach. however, that element doesnt have nearly enough importance to affect the actual location; just the design. A developer will spot a tall building next to other tall buildings if they're smart. Sound urban planning involves building away form a core as slowly as possible. It wouldnt "asuredly expand the midtown corridor," there are too many historical lowrises and nimbyisms in cc east. Its naive to think that a skyscraper can or should be built in a dense city without blocking the view of something else. Actually, I'm pretty sure all of trophy towers of philly can be blocked from one certain view (maybe besides comcast). I wake up every morning with a view of the skyline and liberty one is completely blocked by comcast. Does that hurt the view? Maybe, but I actually enjoy a fresh mix of towers from any location.

I wouldn't change the location at all, if it were built east of city hall then things would just be out of place and unbalanced. I personally love the pyramid effect this planning creates, a good skyline requires an aesthetic anchor, like a core or a focal point. Philly's aesthetics are so good because despite the mid rises from river to river, we have a true, concentrated core of trophy towers that follow a sort of pyramid effect like lower manhattan. Thats why chicago's skyline isnt exactly my cup of tea, it has its tallest buildings all scattered around, which wouldve been a lot worse with the spire. Atlanta's skyline looks, sparse, to put it nicely, because they decided to "expand the corridors" I'd personally love to keep building up the mountain in philly as other infill gets built around it like the cira centers.

However, the balance isnt really an important thing if the location is lucrative enough anyway. This is being built atop a transit hub, next to the parent tower, its perfect.

Last edited by brian.odonnell20; Jan 19, 2014 at 2:00 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 1:45 PM

To consider building this elsewhere lacks fundamental knowledge. This lot is across the street from Comcast 1. It is in a prime location to attach underground to Suburban Station and a block from Subway. Functionality is most important than "balancing" a skyline. Hopefully in 30 years new buildings come along and put CITC in the rear view like it is doing to some others, in regards to different view points.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 2:24 PM

I like this a lot better than american commerce. I think the design is kindof a cross between the acc and wtc 3.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture