HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 10:33 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
In the article, it mentioned up to 400 units.
I guess I missed that part. How large is the current complex? 400 is quite a lot. Chance of a high-rise there or is it a large lot (sorry, I'm not familiar with current senior housing complex).

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I guess I missed that part. How large is the current complex? 400 is quite a lot. Chance of a high-rise there or is it a large lot (sorry, I'm not familiar with current senior housing complex).
It’s about a 2.1 acreage site so definitely will have to be multi-story. Anyone care to estimate how many stories that would be?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
IIRC - instead of building PHX/TUC International they would tear down terminals 2 & 3 and build one 'mega terminal' in its place - and add the 4th runway. Fast forward to current times - you can see that only terminal 2 is getting removed and runway 4 is no longer being discussed.
Kinda. You are correct, no 4th runway is the plans anymore, but it's not needed really. As far as the terminals go, in the revised master plan they have plans for dramatically adding to Terminal 3 after they build a massive new terminal 2. There was a brand new master plan posted on another forum but I cannot find the link. It's really damn impressive. It would probably double capacity. But after that, the airport is maxed out land-wise.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Kinda. You are correct, no 4th runway is the plans anymore, but it's not needed really. As far as the terminals go, in the revised master plan they have plans for dramatically adding to Terminal 3 after they build a massive new terminal 2. There was a brand new master plan posted on another forum but I cannot find the link. It's really damn impressive. It would probably double capacity. But after that, the airport is maxed out land-wise.
I thought terminal 2 was simply slated to go the way of terminal 1...that is no more. Without any major airline expanding into Phoenix I don't see the need for another runway or another big terminal (unless they plan to kill Terminal 4 - which seems un-necessary). Terminal 3 was expanded with more gates than terminal 2 had to cover growth for the near term. Maybe an international terminal would be nice - if we can get more international flights to/from here. I guess as the metro grows who knows what will come with it.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post

It definitely was a hot topic for humor on late night tee vee shows.

Different circumstances though; Denver metro density is mostly along I-25 or generally a north-south direction. DIA is actually 'centrally' located and very accessible from the whole of the metro area. Sky Harbor is ideally situated for metro Phoenix (and doesn't have the operational and growth issues that Stapleton had). It would have been a total clustermess to move Sky Harbor way out towards the south (east or west). It's centrally located right where it is.

Maybe if they were to sell (enough) tickets they could add 15 more units.

Have good friend who lives in north Phoenix (near Tatum and Dynamite) and just returned from visiting friends in Arkansas who used Williams/Gateway AP. I guess she saved significant money. But since she left around 4:00 am the drive was easy as was parking etc.

I'm always curious why Denver/DIA has so many damn runways compared to Sky Harbor - seven with plans for more? Runways, at least at his point in time are expensive to build. If they don't need four no reason to build it.
Once upon a time, airport runways were to serve as backup runways in times of war - to land/stage strategic bombers, etc. (which is why places like Sky Harbor, Deer Valley Airport, Goodyear Airport, etc are all nuclear targets) I don't know if this was kept in mind when DIA was built (end of cold war era) - do they really have that many flights in/out of there to keep 7 runways busy? Or is it just because the weather/wind is so chaotic that they have a number of options to operate 3 or 4 of them in any direction at any given time?

Anyhow - a bit off topic for this thread...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I've always wondered why Sky Harbor didn't reconfigure the runways to run NE to SW back in the day? Doing so would avoided flight paths over both Downtown Phoenix and Downtown Tempe and everybody would be happy. At least that would have seemed more plausible than creating a completely new airport out in the middle of nowhere
Runways are aligned with prevailing winds. Fixed wing aircraft takeoff and land into headwinds. Phoenix winds are predominately east-west. Winds are most often from the west from early March to late September and from the east from late September to early March.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 2:38 PM

Central Station will have runways? LOL

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 3:48 PM

Quote:
I thought terminal 2 was simply slated to go the way of terminal 1...that is no more. Without any major airline expanding into Phoenix I don't see the need for another runway or another big terminal (unless they plan to kill Terminal 4 - which seems un-necessary). Terminal 3 was expanded with more gates than terminal 2 had to cover growth for the near term. Maybe an international terminal would be nice - if we can get more international flights to/from here. I guess as the metro grows who knows what will come with it.
I found it. It's really quite impressive:

https://www.skyharbor.com/docs/defau...01-30-2019.pdf

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 4:42 PM

Quote:

I thought the idea of a "west Terminal" or a new Terminal 2 was for a future International terminal way way down the line.

They are building the sky train with the ability to have a stop at this potential terminal in the future

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
Central Station will have runways? LOL
It's never too late to add a helicopter landing pad for tour flights

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I thought the idea of a "west Terminal" or a new Terminal 2 was for a future International terminal way way down the line.

They are building the sky train with the ability to have a stop at this potential terminal in the future
Unfortunately it does't look like they are planning much more international expansion, but tons of domestic.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 10:29 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
It’s about a 2.1 acreage site so definitely will have to be multi-story. Anyone care to estimate how many stories that would be?
The density is in between Proxy 333 and the Toll Brothers project on Van Buren so it's probably a similar podium and woodframe project.

Unless it were some luxury condo-style highrise with more open space and larger units, I wouldn't expect more than two levels of lobby/parking and five levels of apartments. 190ish DU/acre is definitely at the upper bounds of woodframe so if the developer exceeds the RFP we could see something big. I would hope so, as sites this big are not common.

Last edited by combusean; Apr 19, 2019 at 10:42 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 3:50 AM

Quote:

It is impressive...we should start a new Sky Harbor thread - this is some big stuff. Did you catch the 'security complex' that you'll have to go through to get to the airport they want to add? No more cut through traffic...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 12:29 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
It is impressive...we should start a new Sky Harbor thread - this is some big stuff. Did you catch the 'security complex' that you'll have to go through to get to the airport they want to add? No more cut through traffic...
Just yesterday, I was a passenger in a car driven by someone who decided to short cut through the airport on a trip back from Mesa. I told her the decision made sense, but it may not be an option in the future.

I started a new thread entitled "Metro Phoenix Aviation Thread":

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=238632

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 12:40 AM

According to Medistar's website, the main tower has been increased from 30 to 37 floors.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 12:49 AM

this looks so good

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael85225 View Post
According to Medistar's website, the main tower has been increased from 30 to 37 floors.
Great find! Guess checking Medistar's website should've been the first logical place we checked when we were trying to figure out whether this had been raised lol

So 37 floors now? What does this mean in overall height? At 30 floors, they had it pegged at 300'. Also, nice to see an one floor increase for the student housing as well. Used to be at 18 stories.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 2:55 AM

Fan tastic

So if this and Astra actually get built we will have a new top 3

1. Astra
2. Chase
3. Central Station

If Barrister and Palm court get built it will be a 3way tie for 4th place between 44 Monroe and those two

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:30 AM

/\ US Bank is 407' so those would tie for 5th place (maybe tie for 6th place because century link tower is 397').

I'd say 37 stories will definitely will be over 400 ft. What's a typical floor height for hotel and apartments?

And what does the height limit map say for this block?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 4:43 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
/\ US Bank is 407' so those would tie for 5th place (maybe tie for 6th place because century link tower is 397').

I'd say 37 stories will definitely will be over 400 ft. What's a typical floor height for hotel and apartments?

And what does the height limit map say for this block?
7 additional floors probably isn't going to add anywhere close to100 feet. In the Phoenix Development thread, I guessed 50 to 75 feet more. In the rendering above, it looks slightly shorter than 44 Monroe, so I would say someone around 365 to 370 depending on the floor plate height.

Edit: There is a 3rd rendering on Medistar's site that shows an aerial view of the skyline. It looks about halfway between Freeport and 44 Monroe. So probably right in the 350 range.

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Jan 24, 2020 at 5:55 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest