HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Those demands seem quite excessive. Two mile radius property tax freeze? I didn't realize the residents at 71st and MLK Dr in Park Manor were under threat due to the Obama Library.
This is exactly why Obama said "I know that the minute you start saying, ‘Well, we’re thinking about signing something that will determine who’s getting jobs and contracts and this and that’ … next thing I know, I’ve got 20 organizations coming out of the woodwork.”

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII View Post
This is exactly why Obama said "I know that the minute you start saying, ‘Well, we’re thinking about signing something that will determine who’s getting jobs and contracts and this and that’ … next thing I know, I’ve got 20 organizations coming out of the woodwork.”
That would put me in that radius.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 9:08 PM

I don't see how this is his library if its not going to hold physical papers for researchers.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 9:44 PM
TL;DR

^ Why are some people so hung up on this point? It’s 2018. There are no physical papers anymore, dude.

And since all the documents are digital, you don’t need to have a special place to see them. All declassified files will be made available to researchers online. Classified files will also be accessible to people with the proper security clearance, or declassified through the FOIA process and added to the normal online collection.

The Obama Presidential Center (they’re not even calling it a library since the concept is obsolete) will likely house physical objects related to the presidency, as well as serving a larger purpose to uplift the South Side community. Maybe it’s time to change the name of the thread...

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 9:44 PM
Urbane observer

...but there'll be a Chicago Public Library branch! And a test kitchen! And a gym!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 9:53 PM
TL;DR

Didn’t know about the test kitchen, although I assume it relates to Michelle’s campaigns for healthier eating. It’s not unusual for large complexes to have a full kitchen on-site to allow events and meetings to be catered. The community mission of the kitchen, if any, is probably being exaggerated.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Those demands seem quite excessive. Two mile radius property tax freeze? I didn't realize the residents at 71st and MLK Dr in Park Manor were under threat due to the Obama Library.
Meh, Im not surprised. This is all par for the course and part of how things work in this country. This is a major opportunity for this neighborhood, I expected a lot of people to jump at the chance to get a piece.

At the same time, I expect a lot of their demands to be ignored as they dont have a lot of leverage. Whatever concessions are made will be for PR only.

I understand some of the anti-gentrification arguments to an extent (yes we dont want rents to skyrocket but thats not realistic anyways), but this neighborhood needs the library way the hell more than the library (or center whatever the hell it is) needs the neighborhood and thats simply the bottom line.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 1:56 AM
Urbane observer

Steven Vance looks at the absurdity of expecting spinoff development.
Unless the zoning and land uses are drastically changed, or a housing development is demolished or modified [“visitors checking out a restaurant or an art studio across Stony Island Avenue from the center.”] is impossible.

What’s across the street is Jackson Park Terrace, an affordable housing development with 312 homes, and parking.

Review the zoning map and you’ll see that all of the land across from the center’s proposed site is tied up as a Planned Development, residential, and the Hyde Park Academy high school.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 2:48 AM
The City

^ Are you kidding me?

When there is demand, there is a way.

But there is no demand to live in that area.

Hell, rents on the north side are even low for global city standards.

The idiot patrol bitching and moaning about gentrification pushing them out of the neighborhood should only dream that their fears would come true. Nobody is going to come live there because of the Obama Center. Obama was right during his last visit--gentrification is decades away.

In the meantime, anybody who is sane will only huddle into sites in and around Hyde Park and Kenwood.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 4:15 AM
Urbane observer

^Um, that's not what the piece was about.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 2:39 PM

"Ahead of Obama center arrival, home sales are booming in small enclave of Jackson Park Highlands... "

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...223-story.html

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 3:36 PM
Urbane observer

"Ahead of Obama Center" primarily in the minds of north suburban newspaper editors who see the South Side as all one neighborhood. From the story:

Russell Pike, president of the Jackson Park Highlands homeowner's association, one of the oldest in the city, would like to see a renewed business corridor along 71st Street between Yates Boulevard and Stony Island Avenue, but he remains skeptical that either the Obama center or the golf course would be the spark the area needs.

“I’m not sure if the golf course is going to create an avenue of businesses wanting to develop in that area. I’m not even sure if the Obama Center will do it as well, since (it’s) going to be” at least a mile north, he said. “What’s going to motivate someone to come another mile south?”

Pike also said he believes the spike in home sales lies not in the proximity to the presidential center, but to area beaches and lake trails, public transit and the area’s increased diversity.

"I wouldn't say that a lot of these changes has to do with the Obama Center. I don't know how far in advance people think 'Well I'm (going to) buy a house over here because in three years there's going to be the Obama center,’ " said Pike, 67. "I think the selling point is we're very community oriented (and) the neighbors look out for each other."

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 8:18 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
"Ahead of Obama Center" primarily in the minds of north suburban newspaper editors who see the South Side as all one neighborhood. From the story:

Russell Pike, president of the Jackson Park Highlands homeowner's association, one of the oldest in the city, would like to see a renewed business corridor along 71st Street between Yates Boulevard and Stony Island Avenue, but he remains skeptical that either the Obama center or the golf course would be the spark the area needs.

“I’m not sure if the golf course is going to create an avenue of businesses wanting to develop in that area. I’m not even sure if the Obama Center will do it as well, since (it’s) going to be” at least a mile north, he said. “What’s going to motivate someone to come another mile south?”

Pike also said he believes the spike in home sales lies not in the proximity to the presidential center, but to area beaches and lake trails, public transit and the area’s increased diversity.

"I wouldn't say that a lot of these changes has to do with the Obama Center. I don't know how far in advance people think 'Well I'm (going to) buy a house over here because in three years there's going to be the Obama center,’ " said Pike, 67. "I think the selling point is we're very community oriented (and) the neighbors look out for each other."
Could be both, of course. I'll admit I know very little of the South Side with the exception of the Hyde Park area (and my knowledge is pretty limited even in that neighborhood!), but I'd say a major upcoming draw like a Presidential museum is certainly going to effect an area of at least a mile or two in radius surrounding it. I really do need to get someone who's really familiar with the South Side in general to give me a good tour of the area, since I do, for the most part, stick to the northeast quadrant (of course I live in Lakeview East, so it's understandable! Haha).

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Could be both, of course. I'll admit I know very little of the South Side with the exception of the Hyde Park area (and my knowledge is pretty limited even in that neighborhood!), but I'd say a major upcoming draw like a Presidential museum is certainly going to effect an area of at least a mile or two in radius surrounding it. I really do need to get someone who's really familiar with the South Side in general to give me a good tour of the area, since I do, for the most part, stick to the northeast quadrant (of course I live in Lakeview East, so it's understandable! Haha).

Aaron (Glowrock)
The South Side has some nice residential blocks and some of the housing stock is great. Really depends on where you are. In Woodlawn, there's a number of blocks with empty lots but others that aren't like that - some of the blocks just north of Oak Woods Cemetery aren't like that and you have some others that are pretty good like https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7791...7i13312!8i6656.

South Shore is one I like a bit. You have areas like Jackson Park Highlands with some nice old houses and even mansions (https://www.google.com/maps/place/68...!4d-87.5785497) mixed with some pretty dense stuff. You've got some highrises along 67th street across from the park (https://www.google.com/maps/place/68...!4d-87.5785497) and some blocks with some good low to mid rise density that you could make someone believe was Lakeview or Lincoln Park or Ravenswood (https://www.google.com/maps/place/68...!4d-87.5785497 or https://www.google.com/maps/place/68...!4d-87.5785497). There's also some other high rises in parts like this (https://www.google.com/maps/place/70...!4d-87.5668899).

South Shore has some excellent building stock. I think one of the most underrated parts of Chicago sometimes for this only because it's on the south side and doesn't get as much credit as it should. Woodlawn has some nice stuff but there's a lot of empty land. This maybe makes it more perfect for new construction gentrification type of stuff. The thing is that areas like Woodlawn, Bronzeville, Washington Park, etc have some great building stock but there's a bit of empty lots which doesn't make it feel as safe maybe for some people. South Shore and some larger parts of areas like Chatham don't really have this issue and even areas of Greater Grand Crossing like Park Manor (https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7620...7i13312!8i6656) don't have it either. If you blind folded some people and took them to these areas, a lot of them would honestly think they were somewhere on the north side just looking at the building stock.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 3:58 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post

Well, obviously. It’s not just the media who have a flawed understanding, it’s the community groups too. They point to the gentrification wave that followed the 606 without understanding the very different specifics around that project.

The Museum of Science and Industry has been luring wealthy Northsiders, suburbanites and tourists to Jackson Park for 80 years, I doubt it had any significant impact on real estate values in the broader Hyde Park/Woodlawn community.

The uptick in values and development in Woodlawn is being driven purely by University growth pricing middle class folks out of Hyde Park, and the existing amenities (park, lake, Green Line) that make Woodlawn a respectable choice - especially for young, middle class people of color. The notorious housing projects that once kept people away have been redeveloped.

I imagine the neighborhoods here will take a similar trajectory even if the Obama Center and the golf course were canceled tomorrow.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 3:10 AM

April plan commission

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 3:49 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
April plan commission
Not shown on the April plan commission agenda issued yesterday..are you certain?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 3:59 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Not shown on the April plan commission agenda issued yesterday..are you certain?
Probably a result of bitching from the Community Benefits Agreement shit-wagons

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
That's what i was told initially, but it seems to not be.

There is a soil testing truck on site in Jackson Park.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 1:50 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Received email that a Plan Commission hearing will be held on May 17th.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development