HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 10:43 PM
E pluribus unum

Is the City/County Building really "art deco"? I thought it was more gothic/beaux art but I could be way off. When was it completed?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 10:58 PM

/\ It is from 1928 i believe... if it isn't "art deco" it has a shitelode of art deco elements.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 11:44 AM
I am a typical

Minnesontario Represent

First some Art Deco I have drawn for the diagrams then local stuff.

North Dakota State Capitol, Bismarck. 1934

It's the tallest building in the Dakotas.

A view from the north ©zenTourist

He isn't on the roof, that is part of the front steps. There is a road running underneath it, a bit closer to the building. ©Yuorme

It is a beautifully simple example of Art Deco. ©HPZ

United Office Building, Niagara Falls, New York. 1929

One of my favourite skyscrapers. It is undergoing renovation.

Looking up the tower ©kid_proquo

The main doors. ©fotoproze

Mayan influenced crown detail. ©TimmayK

The Medical Arts Building, Duluth. 1933

I can't find pictures of this one but you can see some pictures by James Peacock on its Emporis page. It is a very simple design, similar to North Dakota's capitol.

QWest Building St. Paul. 1937

I like the setbacks in this one, and short bulky massing.

Both images ©army.arch

The entrance. ©LearJer

1255 Phillips Square Montreal. 1949

An example of "Art Moderne", also known as "Streamline Modern" or "Mid-Century Modern", grew out of the Art Deco style in the mid 1930s and has more of a horizontal emphasis, while maintaining the sleek look of Art Deco. It is sometimes considered a sub-style of Art Deco, and sometimes considered a style in its own right.

This is just inside the front doors. The object in the bottom left corner is a brass mailbox. ©colros

It's hard to find images of this one. That's it on the right, the grey building with bands of windows and the curved (streamlined) corner. ©Steve Brandon

Close up of the windows. ©Cedric Sam

Some examples from Thunder Bay. All photos are mine. (Because I took them and no one else did so I own them. )

Not the best picture if you want to actually see the architecture but it shows the font, which is an important part of the style. The original building was built in the early 1900s, and expanded in the late 1920s, at which point it received this newer Art Deco façade. It's now an antique/seasonal/gift shop.

To build on what King of the Hill gave us:

I've never been comfortable saying that this building is "Art Deco" or "Beaux Arts" because it (if you look closely) combines the two. It is a Beaux-Arts building with an Art Deco skin. (It was built in the early 1930s, as a Bank of Montreal. The original building that stood here was Beaux-Arts, executed in brick and built in the late 1800s.)

The Royal Edward Arms, Thunder Bay, 1928.

Originally a hotel, it was designed by Dorr and Dorr of Minneapolis. The eight storey reinforced concrete structure is an art-deco style with a concrete façade and Gothic inspired details. It is notable for having more wall than windows.

Those are the original windows. The part in the bottom right corner with a smother texture is part of an addition from the 1950s or 1960s, which has a more geometric design to it. You can see a bit more of it in the left side of this pano.

You can see the difference between the crown of the original structure and the addition. Those little balconies aren't functional, they're decoration.

It is possible that the Royal Edward's Gothic influence has something to do with the Neo-Gothic Whalen Building of Port Arthur. But it might not. Who knows?

In front of the entrance to a café on the main floor during a summer street fair.

The last example is in the small town of Nipigon.

It looks really shabby with the dirt roads, poor state of maintenance and obese man going by in a motorized scooter, but the Nipigon Café is actually one of the best restaurants in the region, and an excellent example of Art Modern.

Ontario Architecture has some more examples of Art Deco and Art Moderne from around the province for anyone who is interested.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 2:16 AM

More Buffalo

Buffalo City Hall

Council Chamber

Council Chamber Ceiling

Side Entrance

Lobby

Buffalo Central Terminal (Being restored)

Inside the Buffalo Central Terminal

17 Court Street

(Photo from Buffalo Rising)

Rand Building

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 3:34 AM
Bah!

I'm still liking this thread.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 5:53 AM
Dryer lint inspector

what are they going to do with the buffalo terminal building?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 11:09 PM

Currently, the owners (Central Terminal Restoration Corporation) rent out the terminal floor for events and the money raised goes to further restore the terminal and terminal tower.

It may be the high speed rail station when high speed rail is built between Buffalo and Albany. At first it wasn't a popular thought, but it has been gaining support by locals and leaders.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 2:10 AM
Honored Member

I can definitely relate to the Mott Foundation Building in Flint=[beautiful girl] next to that architectural disaster [ugly brother]. The ugly brother reminds me of the Walter Netsch 'University Hall' at UIC, Chicago, IL...it's the 'ugly brother' of Flint's girlfriend, here's a pic:
[CENTER][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Ornamentation is the principal part of architecture, considered as a subject of fine art.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue] - [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][URL="http://www.giga-usa.com/quotes/authors/john_ruskin_a001.htm"]John Ruskin[/URL], [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][I]True and Beautiful--Sculpture[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 3:42 AM
I am a typical

Bashing another building I enjoy. It just doesn't end with you does it!

©me

Paramount hasn't operated here for more than 15 years now. It was until a few months ago a large indoor playground called Wiggles and Giggles (similar, I assume, to Chuck-e-Cheese, but with more emphasis on playing than eating) and is now the new location of the Cambrian Players, an independent theatre group. I don't think it has heritage status, the Paramount signage is just maintained for nostalgic purposes.

There is an Art Deco government building across the street from this, and an Art Moderne department store (now a call centre) beside it, but lighting conditions are really tricky because of how the streets are angled in Port Arthur.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 4:36 AM
Look at me!

that's a beautiful building!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 4:55 AM
I am a typical

Yeah, whoever owns it really takes pride in keeping it in good shape. I have to get some more pictures some time. I'm pretty sure the ticket booth is largely in tact.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 6:06 AM

Paramount Theatre

I love your photo of the theatre! It really pulls out some fantastic colours on the brickwork! We have done a lot of work inside the lobby since this photo and as soon as the warmer weather comes back around, will be moving to the outside to do some reno (The marquee is in much need of a serious make-over!) The box office area is pretty close to its original state.

Next time you pass by with a camera in hand, drop in and take a look at the stairwell leading up to the gentlemen's washrooms.. take note of the big "P" shape (which of course stands for Paramount, not what goes on in the gents room!) Also, the beautiful curves on the high lobby ceiling! Yes... if you couldn't tell, I love this place!

As for the history... The theatre has never stopped operating since it was opened over 60 years ago, although it hasn't been showing movies consistently until about 6 months ago. Wiggles 'n Giggles has operated in there for about 10 years now and a day time cafe/espresso bar will be opening in the lobby within the next week or two!

Lots going on with this place for sure. Check out the website if you feel so inclined! www.paramounttheatre.ca

Thanks again for taking such a beautiful picture!

Leon Bullock
Operations Manager
Paramount Theatre

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 1:58 AM

Albany

Alfred E. Smith Building

James T. Foley U.S. Courthouse

Arcade Building

Home Savings Bank

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 7:51 AM

Hotel Carlton - Cannes City where I live

I like this building really

In french

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hôtel_Carlton_Cannes
or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlton_Hotel,_Cannes

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 6:18 AM

Ogden, Utah was booming during the Art Deco period and got a few out of it, especially impressive for not being that large a city (83,000 currently):

Pictures by me:

City Hall / Municipal Building:

Ogden High School:

Utah State University, located in Logan also has a one of the few examples of Art Deco in Utah

Family Science building:

These are some dorms on USU's campus as well. I always wondered if they were Art Deco?

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 10:32 PM

Photos and article from the Dallas Observer's Unfair Park Blog

Fair Park's latest additions -- which is to say, sculptor David Newton's recreations of Lawrence Tenney Stevens's nine-foot-high Contralto and Countertenor statues perched at the ends of the overhauled-for-$12-million Fair Park Esplanade -- make their formal debut Sunday, during Fair Park Holiday. (And, look, I'm going to warn you now: Admission's free, but parking's $10.) But our Danny Fulgencio put on his heavy coat and headed down to Fair Park earlier this afternoon for the Esplanade's test run following its informal State Fair coming-out. The so-called "dancing water," a la the Bellagio's fountains, will be accompanied by four songs during the holidays, among 'em "The Yellow Rose of Texas" and "Jingle Bells." (What, no "Dreidel Song"?)

Crews were also installing Contralto, which, like its bookend, was created in '36 -- here's a look at the original -- but "mysteriously vanished" long ago. (Or did they?) More photos after the jump, but mind the construction.

Photo by Edward Ruiz

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 2:01 AM

Some of these buildings have other elements in them but I used Emporis as a reference back up. Taken at different times starting around 2006.

Thanks to LMich and Deco Jim for their Detroit posts earlier in the thread.

Postcard of the Guardian Building, Detroit, MI

Postcard source Guardian Building Lobby. Remaining photos 'mlne all mine... evil cackle'

Still the Guardian:

Penobscot Griswold Entrance:

Top of the Stott (this looks a lot like Deco Jim's, but he would have shot his a few feet away as his shows more daylight between the buildings.)

Water Board Building:

Zaccaro's Market:

Majestic Theater built in 1915. The Art Deco facade was erected when Woodward Ave was widened in the 1930s and the front of the theater had to be removed:

The Freep:

Town Apartments:

Industrial Building:

Neo Deco:

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 4:08 AM
E pluribus unum

Federal Building, Downtown Flagstaff. Built in 1936 originally as a US Post Office.

Source

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 1:43 PM
ZA WARUDO

The only Art Deco building in Barrow that still exists I think is the Roxy Cinema

This is from when it was still used as a cinema

And this is it as it is now.

Pics from
http://www.southlakes.addr.com/cinemas.html

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 2:19 PM
FUS RO DAH!

pretty interesting... do you people have more examples (or maybe the link to a thread) of neo-deco??

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture