HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 3, 2023, 1:42 PM
Show me the blueprints

^ The video is shot zoomed all the way in. That will make any mode of transport look like it's crawling. Bad video. Hopefully there will be several good quality RFW videos this first couple weeks of operation.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 3, 2023, 3:33 PM

Watching the news video again, I really liked hearing the accents, and even the news reporter is almost code switching, mentioning families riding with their keiki and the kopuna from Kapolei; I love how they throw in Hawaiian words that people from other parts of the US might not understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
I think that the telephoto compression is causing it to look much slower than it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^ The video is shot zoomed all the way in. That will make any mode of transport look like it's crawling. Bad video. Hopefully there will be several good quality RFW videos this first couple weeks of operation.
Ah OK, I didn't think of the zooming in/compression. Yeah, hopefully more videos will be posted of the ride from end-to-end; I'm already seeing plenty of videos of the new Regional Connector here in LA on Youtube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Also, you can tell that the kids have never ridden on a train of any kind before. This thing is blowing their mind.
Yes! It's kind of cute. It reminds me of when I took my sister's kids when they were very little to Hollywood from South Pasadena on the train to see "Wall-E"; it was crowded when we got on so we all had to stand, but my youngest nephew, who was two-and-a-half at the time, said "Weee!" while hanging onto the pole as the train started moving.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 3, 2023, 4:34 PM
Show me the blueprints

Trains are one of the best experiences for kids and adults alike. It's the reason i feel so sorry for so many Americans.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 4, 2023, 12:28 AM
FesterBestertester

“Skyline Schedule:

Monday - Friday:
5:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Saturday - Sunday:
8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

City Holidays:
8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.” honolulu (dot) gov

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 1:46 AM

Once they extend the system to at least the Airport they will need to extend the operating hours till at least 10 PM ...

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 6:22 PM
matt in the city

An automated system should at least run from 6am to midnight 7 days per week.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 8:42 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I've never heard of a metro system that closes at 7pm. Perhaps it happens in some small and obscure place I'm not familiar with.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 9:08 PM

I don't understand why this is a 24/7 service. It could be less frequent in off hours as needed but why not 24/7. This is automated so it isn't like it would be due to lack of staff. Maintenance could still happen during off hours.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 3:31 AM

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 6:02 PM

The only miss from HART, although it's slated to link the airport in a few years, is that it doesn't have a direct airport link right now. It would've been better if HART had an airport link first, and maybe link to the city center as opposed to what they have right now, but it's a good start, and once the system is complete by 2031, Honolulu will have a decent light rail system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyline_(Honolulu)

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 8:00 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
The only miss from HART, although it's slated to link the airport in a few years, is that it doesn't have a direct airport link right now. It would've been better if HART had an airport link first, and maybe link to the city center as opposed to what they have right now, but it's a good start, and once the system is complete by 2031, Honolulu will have a decent light rail system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyline_(Honolulu)
I will agree with you that they built the wrong half first. But, they had to place the maintenance facility and yard on the western side of Pearl Harbor, or at least said so. Hence why they built the western half first. They would probably already be at the airport and possibly the western most station in downtown if they had started building east from the maintenance facility, imho. But that is not what they built.

Sometimes planners look at things in stranger ways. It is entirely possible once the citizens saw and used the new trains, there is no way the voters would not ante up more money to get the entire line built. So they put at risk the downtown section hoping to influence the next referendum. If they postponed the western half, it may never have gotten approval later to be built..........

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation