HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Today, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
In Canada (not 100% sure if this is common to all Westminister parliaments or not), it is considered a violation of parliamentary tradition/custom to use political props in Parliament (so things like holding up signs, infograpics, using objects during a debate, etc.)..
Feel thankful for not having the crazy French far-left in your Parliament then. They are the French equivalent of the the right-wing extremist wing of the Republican Party in the US, except on the other side of the political spectrum since France is a much more left-wing country (alas).

Old Posted Today, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
For those who understand French, TVA and Le Journal de Montréal (same owner and sharing news resources) are doing an extended series on the state of French in Anglo-Canada.

The first two reports are online now. One is from Sudbury in Northern Ontario and the other from Southwestern Nova Scotia. Two regions I know well. Nothing I didn't know already or have factual objections to.

https://twitter.com/tvanouvelles/sta...82344525271142
How long do you estimate before French is history in those regions? 50 years seems like the upper bound to me...

Old Posted Today, 10:34 PM
Give us a kiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I doubt that economics (debatable in any event) will be the most important factor for the majority.
I mean, sure, in a vacuum it'd be ideal if the bigger themes of self-determination and social contract would prevail. But I think it will take a lot of effort from PSPP to keep the discourse from devolving into the lowly material. It's a reliable scarecrow, one that everybody knows is overplayed, yet still works.

I don't think the bleak discourse of shrinking middle class (that seems to prevail over in Angloverse) is really spilling over too much into Qc. Middle class is at an all time high here, especially for francophones. The scaremongering will be effective as ever.

Have the feds been annoying enough to overcome this? I'm not seeing it, so he'll have to work the crowd pretty hard I think. Manufacture conflicts, breed outrage, the works. Which will be interesting because PSPP is really cultivating this "above the fray" image, but I don't see him getting anywhere with a referendum without getting his hands dirty a bit.
Though he also seems smart, so maybe he can pull it off without looking too gross.

To your other point, he's being very upfront about making a referendum a firm goal of a first mandate. So assuming he stays the course, he seems to be going all or nothing on this one.

As an aside, it will be an interesting fight, since if PSPP pushes on it will force the CAQ to campaign explicitly against separation. We haven't had such a clear cut debate in recent elections, so it should be fun to watch.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada