HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchild2 View Post
Great observations. My company was one of the first to move to Thanksgiving Point in Nov. of 2006. There were no stop signs, stop lights or traffic. Now it is a total mess. The location is great, but I can't even leave my work until 6:30 unless I want to sit in gridlocked traffic for half an hour...and that is just to leave the immediate area of Thanksgiving Point onto the freeway. My bus. partner hates the area now and is begging to move. Maybe it will improve when the freeways are expanded, but it will only be temporary, which says nothing about the fact that the overall layout of the whole area is clunky, congested and completely unfriendly to pedestrian traffic.

A few months back I saw a confused oriental guy looking at a map in the Maverick gas station. He wanted directions to get the outlet mall across the freeway, very visible and maybe 500 yards away. Realizing he would probably be killed walking there, I offered a ride, taking about ten minutes round trip. I avoid the area now at all costs.
Instead of moving you should consider joining the LTBA(Lehi Transit & Bike Association)

some of their goals followed by a timeline for implementation are listed below

Voluntary bike paths on private property-yesterday
Bike share program-tomorrow
FR linked circulator with dedicated lanes-next Wednesday

to be perfectly honest the LTBA isn't an organization you can simply join... You have to start it. It's your problem, you're smart, solve it.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 9:28 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Huge waste of that space... they should have put them in one of the office buildings and done somthing better with the space.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 9:30 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTeton View Post
Is City Creek not functioning well as a regional shopping destination? I mean, I know that malls are trending towards extinction, but I guess I expected City Creek to perform better.
City Creek doesn’t have enough diversity in shopping it’d experience.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 9:36 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post

Good!! I hope they demo the whole block including that ugly house that looks like it’s been added on to 100 times... everything on the south half of the block just north of that block also needs to go as well.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Good!! I hope they demo the whole block including that ugly house that looks like it’s been added on to 100 times... everything on the south half of the block just north of that block also needs to go as well.
I wonder if there's much of the structure of the original Deseret Mortuary house left behind all the boxy additions:

1940:

Today:

What an abomination. It's almost more insulting that they didn't just tear the original house down but kept bits and pieces of the original when they Frankensteined it into what we see today.

source:
http://signaturebookslibrary.org/see...-city-171-174/

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 8:00 AM

Yikes!! Just goes to show that sometimes "renovating" old structures can almost be worse than just tearing them down...I just have a hard time understanding what would compel anybody to do something like that? Yet it happened all the time from the 50s-80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
Wait!! It looks like in the first photo there are some 600-800ft. towers in the background! How likely are those to show up on the scene of state? Last night I was watching KUTV news and the mayor decided she wants to raise taxes to pay for infrastructure and growth? Is this a good idea? She insinuated that much of the money will go to subsidize affordable housing. As a Libertarian, I detest the idea. What are your thoughts?
The free market has no incentive to provide affordable housing.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Huge waste of that space... they should have put them in one of the office buildings and done somthing better with the space.
What would you propose?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 8:25 AM

This looks like an AWESOME project, and the tone of the article and the information we know certainly makes it sound like it's basically a done deal.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
The free market has no incentive to provide affordable housing.
Housing is affordable for at least 50% of the population so the free market certainly has created affordable housing. What would be the markets incentive to not create price points for all income levels?

Last edited by Always Sunny in SLC; Feb 3, 2018 at 4:59 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 4:10 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
Wait!! It looks like in the first photo there are some 600-800ft. towers in the background! How likely are those to show up on the scene of state?
Actually the tallest buildings in the background are about 300 ft. tall, but look much taller since they are perched on a hill.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 5:16 PM

At Denver’s Outdoor Retailer, the party gets bigger — and it would take ‘significant changes’ for Utah to win it back

https://www.sltrib.com/news/business...o-win-it-back/

"With Outdoor Retailer’s first run in Colorado generally considered a success, organizers say the massive trade show is expected to bring more than twice as much money as it did to Utah.

Emerald Expositions estimated 85,000 people and $110 million will come to Colorado this year over the course of three conventions: the winter and summer shows, previously held for 20 years in Salt Lake City, and a new fall show in November.

That far exceeds the $45 million and 51,000 visitors Utah was receiving annually from the shows when organizers severed their contract in Salt Lake City last year after public lands disputes between outdoor industry leaders and Utah’s Republican state and congressional officials."

"It’s really like a giant party,” said Jeremy Pazzaneze, product manager for Deviation Ski and Snowboard Works in Portland, Ore.

Utah, with its complicated drinking laws and conservative cultural streak, might seem an unnatural fit for that — especially compared with Denver’s robust nightlife and pot dispensaries scattered around the city. On the first night of the show, hundreds of attendees crowded into the Temple Nightclub to watch a free, private show by George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic, sponsored by Gore-Tex.

Businesses around Denver hosted parties nightly, and crowds lined up at the Tincup Whiskey booth for the show’s first whiskey samples.

“This vibe! There’s so many more people,” Shelly Smith, spokeswoman for Granite Gear, said as a crowd clamored for prizes and tin cups of beer during a conservation fundraiser at the Minnesota backpack maker’s booth at the Colorado Convention Center.

But of the dozens of show attendees interviewed by The Salt Lake Tribune, none strongly preferred Denver as a party town, and several fondly remembered concerts and events in Salt Lake City during Outdoor Retailer shows.

This is a funny article to read because it sounds a lot like a couple that broke up and the one had gone out partying and dancing and trying to tell the other one how awesome their life is now!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 8:41 PM

Well, being the first year they probably stepped it up a notch. It sounds like the city and night life more then made up for any proximity issues to events. Also being in Denver, it will probably draw more of a crowd for the fun factor of Denver vs Salt Lake.

There can’t be a better example of how we can improve our night life to attract more business too as well as residents. Feels like a punch in the gut. Fug

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 9:12 PM
Engineer

I think this exposes the real reason certain OR retailers wanted to move. They wanted a bigger sexier city. The big retailers saw the public lands dispute as an opportunity to be "outraged" and put pressure on show organizers to finally leave the state of Utah after years of threatening to do so. It gave them a reason to make the move based on principles.

(Even though in the end it hurts liberal Salt Lake much more than it hurts the conservative state of Utah, but that doesn't matter to them, because behind the scenes it wasn't about principles at all)

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
I think this exposes the real reason certain OR retailers wanted to move. They wanted a bigger sexier city. The big retailers saw the public lands dispute as an opportunity to be "outraged" and put pressure on show organizers to finally leave the state of Utah after years of threatening to do so. It gave them a reason to make the move based on principles.

(Even though in the end it hurts liberal Salt Lake much more than it hurts the conservative state of Utah, but that doesn't matter to them, because behind the scenes it wasn't about principles at all)
Sounds to me like scapegoating. Outdoor Retailer was here for a long time and their attendees were happy with it. I believe their reasons for leaving were genuine, and understandable. Their industry is passionate about the causes of environmentalism and conservation, and they needed to make a statement.
If the state government began to push resources and legislation towards censorship and media propaganda, and made Utah the poster-state for fighting freedom of expression, you can bet Sundance would be gone within a year.

Denver's more inclusive and enjoyable atmosphere is a perk to where they have landed, but it's not the reason they left.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 10:58 PM
of SLC

I'm glad Utah didn't bend over for corporate interests. The liberal hippies can cry all they want. The land grab by the feds was bad for Utah. Screw the OR. Utah is better than to have sold out. Party on.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 11:22 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Sounds to me like scapegoating. Outdoor Retailer was here for a long time and their attendees were happy with it. I believe their reasons for leaving were genuine, and understandable. Their industry is passionate about the causes of environmentalism and conservation, and they needed to make a statement.
I think there was a subset of OR that wanted out of SLC for a long time. This includes many of the bigger retail bosses (Patagonia, REI), and they were behind the big threats to leave in the past. But because most attendees were happy with SLC it was hard to make a case to go to another city.

They haven't done any good for public lands in the process of leaving. They could have done more good by staying and providing a voice here. Instead, they made an ultimatum with the state government, and then left, and now their voice is gone and SLC and its liberal allies are left in a weakened state. The huge Republican majority in the state has become more powerful in the process. If this was a principled move, it was a horrible one, imo. But it wasn't principled. It was largely the big retailers playing politics so they could get what they want, which is great for them, and in the end probably great for OR, but bad for us SLCers.

Last edited by airhero; Feb 3, 2018 at 11:57 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz View Post
I'm glad Utah didn't bend over for corporate interests. The liberal hippies can cry all they want. The land grab by the feds was bad for Utah. Screw the OR. Utah is better than to have sold out. Party on.
When you're intentionally self-destructive to stick it to the libs

Jesus Christ. Republicans, please don't mail $20,000 to my PO box tonight. I would be super triggered if you did that. I'm a fed, please don't listen to me.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 12:10 AM

These issues I find fascinating because if you agree with the actions of the Obama administration then you tend to complain that we didn't heed the threats of the OR, but if you agree with the actions of the Trump administration then you tend to say you are happy we didn't bend to corporate interests. Regardless if your position I think governments should avoid changing their policies based on the threats of any special interest group.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
Housing is affordable for at least 50% of the population so the free market certainly has created affordable housing. What would be the markets incentive to not create price points for all income levels?
"Affordable" does not mean "affordable to 50% of the population". Don't be dense.

Also your question does not answer my question.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 9:27 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

In Salt Lake housing is affordable for anyone making under 35k or anyone making over 65k. If you make 35k-65k... its going to be somewhere between borderline and no go.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West