HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisforreal View Post
You're disappointed by this particular rendering vs reality?
I am. The facade in the rendering has depth. Actual building looks budget engineered.

This new render looks great. Hope the product lives up to it.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
^ I don't get it either, feel like office rents could get to the mid 20s at the high end in that location, 990 spring is at low 20's I think
Yes, completely agree. 1500 Spring Garden was quoting $21 plus electric only 3-4 years ago and anyone that is familiar with philly office rents....they don't rise lol.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
I am. The facade in the rendering has depth. Actual building looks budget engineered.

This new render looks great. Hope the product lives up to it.
Lol I guess beauty's in the eye of the beholder. I love this building, especially at this location and the way it contrasts with the church.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 4:47 AM
Leges Sine Moribus Vanae

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisforreal View Post
You're disappointed by this particular rendering vs reality?
Yes.

To me it looks banal.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 7:10 PM

Why Parkway’s Doubling Down on North Broad

Quote:
Along with Eric Blumenfeld, Parkway Corporation has become one of the most important developers along the North Broad Street corridor. And like Blumenfeld, Parkway sees the street as having untapped potential as an all-day live/work/play environment. (The folks at Parkway should know: the company headquarters is at Broad and Race streets.)

What’s different about Parkway’s latest development proposal is that it seeks to combine all three of those elements into a single package at a convenient location.

“It’s my dream to build significant office space there, to get some jobs into that neighborhood,” said Parkway CEO Robert Zuritsky. “The retail and residential are a slam dunk, but [North Broad] is also an important commercial district.”

“The office space is the first driver of this project,” Zuritsky said.

That’s apparent from the design of the project as well: the office tower is the larger of the two buildings in the BLTa-designed complex.

The development consists of a 13-story, 140-foot-tall residential tower with a parapet that slopes to the west at the top to shield the rooftop terrace from the 20-story, 330-foot office tower to its east. That tower is similar in massing to the firm’s initial East Market tower, with a slender tower perched atop a four-story podium containing two levels of retail and two of office space, with an office amenity level atop the podium.

The office tower’s design, however, is a significant departure from BLTa’s usual work: an all-glass slab whose service core is attached to its western end. The slab itself is distinguished by alternating two-story bands of beveled and flat glass panels that also cover the tower’s exoskeleton of columns and diagonal bracing, both necessary in order to produce large, column-free floorplates.

The design also gives the building a great amount of flexibility that will allow it to be configured to suit a wide range of possible tenants.

That’s good for Parkway, which has not yet identified a lead office tenant. And while Zuritsky is in search of office tenants for this speculative building, he said that if none are found, it won’t sink the project: “If we can’t make it office, we’ll do residential.”
Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/business/20...GGFOX8g3doX.99

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 7:17 PM
BANNED

^very interesting. I wonder how long they are willing to wait on a tenant lease before giving up on office space.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 3:33 PM

BLT Architects posted a rendering a few days ago - but zero news all year from the developers, bummer.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcamq-0B...=bltarchitects

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 4:00 PM
Philly Pholly

Is that on the west side of Broad?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 4:37 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Is that on the west side of Broad?
Yep - NW corner of Broad and Spring Garden on what’s currently surface parking.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 3:55 AM

Maybe it's just me, but that looks to be much taller than 330'.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but that looks to be much taller than 330'.
I think you're right! The Inquirer Building is somewhere in the area of 340 feet and this building looks taller in the image. When I saw the image I wondered if it was closer to 400 feet.

Maybe the 340 feet doesn't count the letters on the top; it may only be to the roof height!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 1:11 AM
Philly Pholly

I'm not sure of how the buildings are situated on the site. I did use the heights given. This gives a little context.

N Broad Street

N Broad Street

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 2:44 PM

What's going on with the lot right across from this project?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sp...!4d-75.1613746

Isn't Blumenfeld supposed to be developing this parking lot as part of the Mural Lofts project? Is it delayed?

Last edited by jsbrook; Dec 12, 2017 at 2:55 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 2:46 PM

This building is tall for the area and it has good presence.

The building is imposing and will really bring an urban downtown feel along Spring Garden Street; it also at night will be dramatic. If one looks from City Hall north on Broad Street the Divine Lorraine Hotel stands out as well as the highrises on Temple Campus; this will dramatically add to it and give north Broad Street new dynamism. Also looking south on Broad Street into the city the Divine Lorraine Hotel and Spring Board will frame City Hall; add to the urban feel of the city; plus it has height; its taller then the Inquirer Building.
If this building is taller then the Inquirer Building it actually affects the appearance of the city. If one comes from over the Ben Franklin Bridge; you see the city and then of course if you look north you see Waterfront Square, The Inquire Building, a building at Broad and Girard; and this will fit right in.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 3:32 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Isn't Blumenfeld supposed to be developing this parking lot as part of the Mural Lofts project? Is it delayed?
This was going to be a retail component, but i don’t remember seeing any set plans or tenants. This has been in the works for ages, so i’m guessing the retail aspect has been tough to nail down. It does pair nicely with the astroturf-lined fence south of here that’s supposedly retail, too. Hopefully once there’s some more momentum we’ll see these happen quickly.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
I'm not sure of how the buildings are situated on the site. I did use the heights given. This gives a little context.

N Broad Street

N Broad Street
Man! Look at all that surface parking!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 12:18 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
This was going to be a retail component, but i don’t remember seeing any set plans or tenants. This has been in the works for ages, so i’m guessing the retail aspect has been tough to nail down. It does pair nicely with the astroturf-lined fence south of here that’s supposedly retail, too. Hopefully once there’s some more momentum we’ll see these happen quickly.
IIRC there had been plans to put in a gas-station super Wawa on the corner with Mural Lofts. Which everybody and their uncle thought was a bad idea, with good reason.

The retail component in the old state office building is supposed to be part of that project's Phase II which apparently the current owners have completely forgotten about.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 7:18 PM

From the Broad and Noble thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Revitalizing N Broad Street girds for surge of new apartments with two major projects planned
Quote:
Alterra of Philadelphia, meanwhile, is planning a midrise with as many as 500 units at the northwest corner of Broad and Spring Garden Streets.

Both projects were at least partly motivated by their locations in Census tracts designated as a “Qualified Opportunity Zone” under a provision of the 2017 tax cut bill, offering investors in projects there potentially big savings on what they owe the IRS.

Toll told neighbors it is under contract to buy the nearly one-acre site at 427 N. Broad St., which is currently used as a parking lot, from its current owner, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, after its zoning permits have been issued, association president Sarah McEneaney said.

The site was selected for its vicinity to the Rail Park, as well as for its proximity to Center City and its public transit access using the Broad Street Line subway, Piedrahita said. Its location in an opportunity zone was also “one of the many factors we considered,” he said.

Toll’s condo-development division is building a 24-story residential tower in the Jewelers Row shopping district on Sansom Street in Center City. Sundance Bay, Toll’s partner on the North Broad Stret project, is led by a team that includes two sons of former presidential candidate and current U.S. Sen. Mitt Romney.

Leo Addimando, Alterra’s managing partner, meanwhile, said he is under contract to buy his company’s planned 1.5-acre development site at Spring Garden Street from Parkway Corp., which previously proposed offices, apartments and shops at the property.
Alterra’s plan for a seven-story midrise over ground-floor retail and 275 underground parking spaces will be financed with the participation of investors seeking to take advantage of the site’s opportunity zone designation, he said.

While its current permit application for the site calls for 500 apartment units, that number may be dialed back to the “low-400s” to accommodate office space rather than dwellings on its second floor, Addimando said. The company is in talks with potential supermarket tenants to anchor the ground-floor retail space, he said.

Alterra hopes to start construction during the second half of next year, wrapping up before the end of 2021, Addimando said. That accelerated schedule will be enabled by the use of modular construction.

Addimando said he’s not concerned about competing inventory in the immediate area, since he expects renter demand to come from throughout the city, as it has for his company’s 322-unit Lincoln Square project on Broad Street in South Philadelphia.

“We look at it as an extension of Center City,” he said of the new N. Broad Street site.
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20191025.html

Last edited by mcgrath618; Oct 25, 2019 at 9:02 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 11:30 PM

Disappointing to see we're no longer getting highrises on this lot, BUT...

-It's great to finally see the massive surface lot redeveloped
-They were probably having a hard time finding office tenants with all of the other office developments proposed throughout Center City
-7-stories is still a fantastic project for the area, and is probably more realistic for the area
-All of these apartments and ground floor retail on this project, coupled with the Blumenfeld project across the street, and the new retail development on the Southwest Corner of Broad and Spring Garden all make for a SERIOUSLY improved intersection, and much more fitting for what this intersection is

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 11:30 PM

We'll close out this thread since the project is no longer a highrise

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive