HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 4:40 PM

A little progress has been made, now on plane number 3. This is the next section east along the riverfront.

Detail showing the rear of the Bristol Hotel, one of Sta Fee's poshest \/.

More recent view, the previous render portion is towards the middle/top of this image. I've now added some more churches and older buildings in front \/.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 12:22 PM
Asswipe

nice

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 2:50 PM

This city is just amazing. If I could find the time I'd be sketching a city up right now, but school is really stressful. Great inspiration anyway!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 12:47 PM
Closed account

This is amazing. Can you give a overhead shot?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 5:55 PM
Desert Dweller

This city is just incredible, all the detail, each building had it's own story & style, amazing effort

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 12:54 AM

Thanks guys for all your comments.

Expect to see a revised map soon. I may do an overhead/birds-eye perspective too.

Continuing to make progress on plane3, now on the northbank which contains the first part of the main commercial area known as Los Madres. This area will eventually contain the cities tallest buildings and relates to the original sketches on page1 showing the 3 pyramid topped towers. At the moment I have completed the current tallest and second tallest. The EON centre (left) at 100m (328ft) built in 1989 and Muhama Tower right at 98m (321ft) built in 1986 \/.

Overview of the northbank portion of Plane3. The roads above are on another palne and will be developed at some point in the future. This area will probably contain a lot of the cities main highrise buildings.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 12:53 AM

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 6:44 PM

Not much of an update I'm afraid. I've made a little headway on Plane4, which is south of Plane3 and comprises part of the historical core of Sta Fee around the cathedral and one of the main retail areas.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 12:56 PM
▓▒░

These are incredible! If I squint just a bit they look real!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 12:45 PM

Thx Evilon Doomm, yeah there's more detail in there than i can actually show or do justice too. I think it must be my obsessive compulsive disorder at work trying to detail every fricking lamppost lol.

Sta Fee Cathedral - the main spire of Sta Fee Cathedral known as St Georges tower tops out at 93m (305ft). Built between 1890 and 1902 it is the cities main place of worship and remains Sta Fee's largest church.

Heres a view of the cathedral with the neo-classical Metropolitan Library building in the foreground.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 4:34 PM

Just rendered another view showing the cathedral and rooftops of the older portion of town. This view is looking due west towards where the city began a few months back.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 6:12 PM

Very, very nice.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 12:25 AM

Its so Awesome, and then I see the ground textures and its soooo Dissapointing becuase evreything else looks so damn good.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 8:44 AM

Ground textures are a compromise. At close up they aren't great i admit, but from a distance i think i get away with it. Problem is i reach a limit with cinema4D in terms of the size of texture i can use, basically about 1000x1000pixels. I think its due to my files having so many textures i always get memory problems with textures larger than this.

As the planes are 1km square it works out at 1 metre to 1 pixel, so it looks fuzzy close up, but fine on the map (1st post). I could have gone for 500m square planes giving me more detail, but also more ground textures to make and so much more work, so yeah - bit of a compromise.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 7:44 PM

Has this city have a particular place in the world ,looks
like a mix of american/europe...will there be some asian
influences??..........really like all the lowrise with the
scattered highrise look

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 10:54 PM

Not sure of its location. Originally I was thinking of Latin America as Sta Fee kinda sounds like it has Spanish/Portuguese origins. However a lot of it is modelled on European and North American architecture so theres the conumdrum...personally I reckon it should remain somewhere vague, sort of in the ether...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 8:47 AM

Amazing work, Pingyao! Yeah, the ground textures don't look in street level shots, but this city is made for mind blowing aerials! Your cities are a huge inspiration for me.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 9:52 AM

Few new shots...First view from next to the twin bridges looking toward the Hotel Bristol and Central Sta Fee.

This view is from Northbank Pier looking back toward the Central.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 8:14 AM

WOW.

So goddamn realistic. Every scene, such a perfect proportion of old and new buildings. The last pcis looks like a token German city while this one looks like Santiago de Chile or other modern Latin American city:

I know some has to do with the SW you're using, but damn, I have to give you credit. I still remember that Sony city you began in that perfect Peninsula in Pakistan.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalextropy View Post
WOW.

So goddamn realistic. Every scene, such a perfect proportion of old and new buildings. The last pcis looks like a token German city while this one looks like Santiago de Chile or other modern Latin American city:

I know some has to do with the SW you're using, but damn, I have to give you credit. I still remember that Sony city you began in that perfect Peninsula in Pakistan.
Thanks for the enthusiastic post. Yes that was my city 2 cities ago 'Chrisheem'. Now long since buried.

An update.

A view above Centenary square. This was one of the cities first purpose built public spaces completed at the end of the 18th century when Sta Fee was little more than a collection of homesteads and churches. In 1834 the square was enclosed by a classical facade and a 33m (108ft) column erected. The square is one of the most popular people watching spots with cafes under the colonnade and classical music concerts during the summer evenings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup