HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 3:49 PM

According to Anne Poirier-Basque, executive director of Downtown Moncton Inc., there were 22,000 people working downtown before the Covid-19 virus. There are now only 7000. She says that cannot sustain our bars, our cafes, our retailers.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 4:51 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
According to Anne Poirier-Basque, executive director of Downtown Moncton Inc., there were 22,000 people working downtown before the Covid-19 virus. There are now only 7000. She says that cannot sustain our bars, our cafes, our retailers.
Standard CBDs are designed for influxes of 9-5 workers. Without them it's impossible for local direct residents to support those businesses, especially when most of those 9-5 workers live in far-flung suburbs and have no way to support those businesses during non-working hours.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Standard CBDs are designed for influxes of 9-5 workers. Without them it's impossible for local direct residents to support those businesses, especially when most of those 9-5 workers live in far-flung suburbs and have no way to support those businesses during non-working hours.
I have to say I was a bit surprised at the extent of the numbers of people no longer work downtown. It's close to 70%. And you just know that a lot of them will enjoy working from home and may not return to their downtown offices.

It makes me wonder if Fusion Commercial Properties will change their business plan. They purchased the Higgins Block property with the intention of converting the upper two floors to office space. It's 8800 sq. ft. per floor. Will they change it to residential instead?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:48 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Starbucks signage has been removed from their downtown location already. The windows are also papered over - they aren't wasting time!!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:06 PM

I cant reveal my employer but i suspect only about half of the employees my company had will return to work downtown if we ever get the ok, some people(a small amount) are actually considering moves out of moncton all together now that they are generally free to work from home, going back to their hometowns etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
I have to say I was a bit surprised at the extent of the numbers of people no longer work downtown. It's close to 70%. And you just know that a lot of them will enjoy working from home and may not return to their downtown offices.

It makes me wonder if Fusion Commercial Properties will change their business plan. They purchased the Higgins Block property with the intention of converting the upper two floors to office space. It's 8800 sq. ft. per floor. Will they change it to residential instead?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammn_guy View Post
I cant reveal my employer but i suspect only about half of the employees my company had will return to work downtown if we ever get the ok, some people(a small amount) are actually considering moves out of moncton all together now that they are generally free to work from home, going back to their hometowns etc..
My wife and her sister both are working from home now, and have no intention of going back to their respective offices downtown. Working from home looks like it's the "new normal" now. I think we'll see more residential space created downtown instead of office space. Why would a developer build something that there's no market for.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 5:05 PM

I've been working from home since April. While I could go back to the office, I'm waiting until we're in a more normal mode.

That said, when we are back to 'normal', I do intend (and want to) go back to the office to work. Mainly to get some personal and mental separation from Work and Home.

I live alone, so with work from home, I'm basically in the same place for 23/7 give or take a bit each day. I'm yearning for interactions, and to just get out of the condo. (I do try to make sure I go out for about an hour each day so I have some variety of sorts)

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 11:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

New live webcam at Bore Park to allow you to watch the tidal bore coming in.

https://www.moncton.ca/webcams/bore-...2JRJgyTlWs6u6g

Webcam general page:

https://www.moncton.ca/webcams

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 1:13 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton hopes strobe lights in parks will keep geese awake — and away
City looking at various options to address geese around Jones Lake, Centennial Park
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Oct 27, 2020 3:15 PM AT | Last Updated: 2 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...park-1.5778478

Strobe lights on Jones Lake, on all night, surrounded by some of the toniest properties in the city, add in sleepless enraged politically connected taxpayers - what could possibly go wrong!!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 12:25 PM

I don't think these lights are overly bright or annoying to humans. They are designed to mimic a predator.

However what I do see happening is these geese are just going to join the 100+ of their other friends who are already all over the new grass around the lake at centennial park. Nature finds a way

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 12:54 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

I'm conflicted. On the one hand, the goose poop, especially at the West Main end of the park is so bad it's funny. I once stopped on a bike ride to talk with a guy sitting on one of the benches who was holding court with at least 50 geese at his feet. Mind you, he was feeding them, which is another issue altogether. Also, geese are aggressive jerks.

On the other hand, they're wildlife. We are fortunate to have areas in the city that are suitable to birds and animals.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 11:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

A post on Mayor Dawn Arnold's FB page:

Quote:
Big night out in Moncton — one hour wait for dinner at Carrabba's Italian Grill and fully booked at Monk10 !

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Regarding this building planned for 106-124 Weldon Street:

I found this tidbit of information on the Spitfire Design Studio website:

So, the two storey podium fronting on Weldon will consist of 2-3 bedroom townhouse units (each with separate outside entrances, but presumably with interior entrances as well, to allow for access to amenities and parking). This is a very neat feature, and would certainly appeal to upscale professionals interested in a downtown urban lifestyle. These townhome units could be very popular. It would be interesting to see a floorpan.........
Drove by the location this evening. Site prep has been done, including demolition. The property is now a blank slate. Not sure if they'll do anything now, or wait until spring.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 4:12 AM

Looking West above the subway. Soon to be 'The Place 2 B' post covid.

A brand new state of the art events centre, Hyatt Place Hotel including Italian Grill restaurant, Crowne Plaza Hotel including top floor T Bones Restaurant, Hilton Garden Inn including a new hip Monk10 restaurant, several brand new high end residential towers, VIA rail within walking distance, grocery, gym, coffee, pharmacy, nbliquor, many other retail stores including a pending mirco brewery pub and so much more.

It's amazing to think that not too long ago, a Moncton Mayor had a sledgehammer in hand at the old Eaton's Highfield Square mall.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 1:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Great photo as usual Blackyear!!

Just think how much this perspective has changed in just five years - Avenir Centre, Hyatt Place Hotel, recladding of the Dominion Public Building complex, not to mention the changes in other properties not visible, like the Hilton Garden Inn and the Junction Urban Village.

Next up, at least four new apartment buildings in the downtown west end (not to mention the continuing build out of the Junction Urban Village).

Let's hope the COVID pandemic does not delay other things by a decade. I really want to see 1222 Main refurbished, and the vacant lot between 1222 Main and the Avenir Centre developed. This all depends on how quickly the economy recovers from COVID.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Great photo as usual Blackyear!!

Just think how much this perspective has changed in just five years - Avenir Centre, Hyatt Place Hotel, recladding of the Dominion Public Building complex, not to mention the changes in other properties not visible, like the Hilton Garden Inn and the Junction Urban Village.

Next up, at least four new apartment buildings in the downtown west end (not to mention the continuing build out of the Junction Urban Village).

Let's hope the COVID pandemic does not delay other things by a decade. I really want to see 1222 Main refurbished, and the vacant lot between 1222 Main and the Avenir Centre developed. This all depends on how quickly the economy recovers from COVID.
I couldn't agree more! 1222 Main Street has a lot of sq. footage to bring to market. I just wonder if there'll be a residential component to the redevelopment. I can't imagine that keeping the entire building commercial would be a good business plan given the glut of office space vacant due to people now working from home. Perhaps Crombie will decide to follow the ground floor commercial with residential above model. With both Tannery Place buildings fully leased even before they're built, it seems the market would be strong for more residential in the area.

I also wonder if Fusion Commercial Properties will reconsider their plans for the Higgins Block. Will they switch to residential apartments instead of office space?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 3:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good overview of the status of the proposed new Codiac Regional RCMP Headquarters Building:
https://letschatmoncton.ca/policing-...txp2AdvCqgUd_c

The website also includes several photos of the excavation and remediation of the site.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 5:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's a better photo of Monk10, from the T&T:

Again, seating capacity will increase after the pandemic.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 9:28 PM

Much better view from this angle. The first picture had no windows and no natural light.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 10:27 PM

Future micro brewery pub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackYear View Post
Looking West above the subway. Soon to be 'The Place 2 B' post covid.

A brand new state of the art events centre, Hyatt Place Hotel including Italian Grill restaurant, Crowne Plaza Hotel including top floor T Bones Restaurant, Hilton Garden Inn including a new hip Monk10 restaurant, several brand new high end residential towers, VIA rail within walking distance, grocery, gym, coffee, pharmacy, nbliquor, many other retail stores including a pending mirco brewery pub and so much more.

It's amazing to think that not too long ago, a Moncton Mayor had a sledgehammer in hand at the old Eaton's Highfield Square mall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces