HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 6:14 PM

1382 Peachtree, 32 Floors

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 4:38 PM

This morning.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 4:35 PM

Buildings are down and now just clearing the lot.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 3:56 PM

Demo is almost complete

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 4:33 PM

Site shaping up. All evidence of buildings are now gone. Already beed stuck on 17th Street 2 times for site egress/ingress.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 9:44 PM

Anyone have a webcam?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 10:06 PM

We have rebar on site.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 10:35 PM

Thanks bigstick for your starting multiple threads, including this one.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 11:09 PM

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 11:35 PM

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
In this pic you can see two residential towers under construction. When I started the "Midtown Trio" poll (a year ago) asking which complex of 3 towers would have the greatest effect on the Midtown skyline, I chose Midtown Union...

[QUOTE=ATLMidcity;9045541]I chose Midtown Union because the Arts Center MARTA station needs some love, and this project has the potential to jump start the two high rise residential towers proposed - one at Peachtree & 17th, and the other at W. Peachtree and 15th.

And now we have another proposed residential tower by JPX at Spring and 18th streets. WOW Midtown is on fire.

IJS

Last edited by ATLMidcity; Sep 23, 2021 at 3:30 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 1:30 PM

[QUOTE=ATLMidcity;9404481]In this pic you can see two residential towers under construction. When I started the "Midtown Trio" poll (a year ago) asking which complex of 3 towers would have the greatest effect on the Midtown skyline, I chose Midtown Union...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post
I chose Midtown Union because the Arts Center MARTA station needs some love, and this project has the potential to jump start the two high rise residential towers proposed - one at Peachtree & 17th, and the other at W. Peachtree and 15th.

And now we have another proposed residential tower by JPX at Spring and 18th streets. WOW Midtown is on fire.

IJS
I see at least three residential towers under construction, if you include the Midtown Union residential portion.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 4:53 PM

With all these new Midtown developments occurring north of 14th street, does anyone predict a new and different vibe growing in Northern Midtown?

With all the Art related institutions (High Museum - Puppetry Arts - SCAD) anchored in this area, do you think a new demographic will take root here?

With the Tech crowd ever growing further south, and now the north side developing rapidly, will 14th Street be a greater Right Brain / Left Brain divide now?

Sorry, I didn't mean to start every paragraph using "With"

Last edited by DNR; Sep 24, 2021 at 4:56 PM. Reason: Addition

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 7:57 PM

New and different vibe, demographics taking root, Right/Left brain divide.
Did you just get or or do you need an attitude adjustment?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 3:05 AM

I don't see that area changing much. It's always had a transient, corporate vibe and these new high end apartments won't change that.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 3:12 AM

Clarification:

Until recently, the Northern portion of Midtown (North of 14th Street) hasn't seen the same momentum of residential development as the blocks South of 14th Street.

Now some of that same momentum is finding its way North of 14th Street, where there happens to be a higher concentration of Art institutions.

My Right Brain / Left Brain reference was just a comparison to the theory regarding the difference in creative (Arts) v/s analytical thought (Science).

South of 14th Street - (Tech [Science]) North of 14th Street - (Arts [Creative])

Try not to over think it.

Many new residential developments South of 14th Street seemed to be geared more towards Tech students and Tech professionals whereas developments North may be more appealing to a different demographic due to their Artsy Northern Midtown location and with an uptick in creative Architectural styling - similar to Lilli, which also happens to be in a particularly distinctive part of Midtown.

It was merely a question about how North Midtown could develop into an exciting and even more distinctive Arts District than ever before, with the growing abundance of stylish new residential developments.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 3:39 AM

I'm just saying they don't appeal to that demographic. The buildings have more interesting facades but they're still standard highrise apartments. Not a lot of aspiring artists are looking to pay $2,000-3,000 for a one bedroom place just to be closer to the High.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 3:07 PM

double post

Last edited by ATLMidcity; Sep 25, 2021 at 3:21 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 3:10 PM

DNR

It was merely a question about how North Midtown could develop into an exciting and even more distinctive Arts District than ever before, with the growing abundance of stylish new residential developments.[/QUOTE]

I get what you're saying. After all this is Atlanta and demographic changes are happening rapidly all over the city and metro.

Developers may build in one area expecting a certain demographic to take up residence, but a different demographic mix shows up and the vibe changes.

I can remember when Mexican-Americans wouldn't dare walk the streets of downtown Atlanta, but that was then. And we all remember when Midtown was considered strictly gay, or Piedmont Park was off limits to straights unless an event was happening.

How about Atlantic Station being marketed as an alternative to the Buckhead Village, but quickly became an urban destination of city folks. But now it's where suburbanites of all races flock to on the weekends.

So, yes I believe a different vibe will emerge in the Arts District but it may take another 5 years.

Last edited by ATLMidcity; Sep 25, 2021 at 3:22 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 3:29 AM

I do think the developers and architects have to up their game because of the Arts District and the starchitect pedigree of some of the high rises. You have Richard Meier's High Museum with the expansion by Renzo Piano and Philip Johnson's IBM Tower/One Atlantic Center. Unfortunately, Calatrava's Symphony Center was never built, but it set the tone to continue the trend for classic and innovative architecture north of 14th Street.

Who would have thought a suburban residential developer like John Weiland would have created something like One Museum Place? Too bad they were constrained by height requirements from the neighborhood behind it.

The next tower to watch is from JPX Works on Spring Street near SCAD. That tower along with SCAD's dorms are going to bring new life to what is pretty much a dead block. Now, if only someone could take a few of Dewberry's lots off his hands, maybe we could have even more happening in that area.

For the right-brain crowd south of 14th, I had high hopes for Selig's Google tower, but it's lacking the height to pull off the cross-brace look. And lord help us with Portman's towers next to the funeral home on Spring Street. I guess it would be in keeping with a funeral home if something as lifeless as Portman's Coda and Anthem goes up on that high-profile corner.

Last edited by cparker73; Sep 26, 2021 at 3:49 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta