HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwards View Post
@gillynova these guys?

It wasn't finished yet. The whole arena isn't done yet

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 6:35 PM

Construction Timelapse: Chase Center

Last edited by bloobityblurp; Sep 4, 2019 at 6:37 PM. Reason: testing

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 4:46 PM

I really dig the view at 2:22

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 5:44 PM

I am not a fan of the exterior cladding of this building now that it's finished. Reminds me of a 1970s era computer punchcard. Some of you may not remember those.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 9:57 PM

Even with the LED lights at night?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
I really dig the view at 2:22
Agree!

I remember when the Bank of America and TransAmerica building would dominate the skyline.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 3:35 AM
heavy user of walkability

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 4:34 PM

The best thing about this arena is no public money was used to finance it. Sports franchises all across the country are pick pocketing the taxpayers of those cities. In Sacramento, parking meters were installed all over midtown and increased rates up to 9pm and on Sundays, and parking fines were increased to pay for Golden 1 Center arena. In San Diego, residents' water bills were added huge surcharges to pay for the Petco Park stadium. It's pure corruption.
And those are just the cities that I'm familiar.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 6:21 PM

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Even with the LED lights at night?
Led lights = FAIL

Quote:
The aluminum bands that loop around the arena are punctuated by hundreds of dart-like perforations that add depth. They’re also reminders of a design idea that didn’t pan out.

The idea was that each slit would be illuminated from inside at night, but everyone soon realized that the self-contained lights in each panel would be a nightmare to maintain
. The perforations stayed as a visual accent -- and have thin strands of wire hidden inside to keep out birds.
https://projects.sfchronicle.com/gui.../architecture/

They should have just reconsidered the whole scheme. I'd rather have seen the thing clad in shiny metal (aluminum or whatever).

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_climber13 View Post
The best thing about this arena is no public money was used to finance it. Sports franchises all across the country are pick pocketing the taxpayers of those cities. In Sacramento, parking meters were installed all over midtown and increased rates up to 9pm and on Sundays, and parking fines were increased to pay for Golden 1 Center arena. In San Diego, residents' water bills were added huge surcharges to pay for the Petco Park stadium. It's pure corruption.
And those are just the cities that I'm familiar.
Yup. I'm completely with you on this and I think we can attribute it to the fact that there may not be a high enough percentage of sports addicts in San Francisco (as opposed to the Bay Area) to countenance public funding. Recall that a public funding scheme was voted on for the Giants ballpark and it failed so they eventually went to mostly private financing ("mostly" because the land was donated by the city but not the building costs as I recall). The 49ers, on the other hand, were so determined to pick the public pocket they just left town when they couldn't get SF to hand them money.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 10:44 AM

I think this is the area of the NE corner where the building is to rise

I imagine these areas overlooking the Bay will be popular if they can keep them warm

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Yup. I'm completely with you on this and I think we can attribute it to the fact that there may not be a high enough percentage of sports addicts in San Francisco (as opposed to the Bay Area) to countenance public funding. Recall that a public funding scheme was voted on for the Giants ballpark and it failed so they eventually went to mostly private financing ("mostly" because the land was donated by the city but not the building costs as I recall). The 49ers, on the other hand, were so determined to pick the public pocket they just left town when they couldn't get SF to hand them money.

Actually SF voters narrowly passed twin bond measures for $100 million towards a new $525 million 49ers stadium-mall complex back in 1997. It was former owner Eddie DeBartolo's involvement in a Louisiana gambling boat scandal that derailed that SF stadium effort as he was forced to give up his ownership role with the team and the new stadium plan soon went down with him.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observatory View Post
Actually SF voters narrowly passed twin bond measures for $100 million towards a new $525 million 49ers stadium-mall complex back in 1997. It was former owner Eddie DeBartolo's involvement in a Louisiana gambling boat scandal that derailed that SF stadium effort as he was forced to give up his ownership role with the team and the new stadium plan soon went down with him.
I don't remember the details now but my recollection was that in the case of both the Giants and 49ers there was a public contribution but it was mostly in the value of the land, not cash to help with construction costs. Also in the case of the 49ers, there was negotiating around unexpired leases and renovation of Candlestick vs a new stadium and so on--it got complicated. But what SF never did is what you seemed to be against--and which I am also against--which is to put public dollars not obligated by previous arrangements (such as promises to spend the same dollars renovating Candlestick) into a sports arena to be owned by the team or its owner.

Debartolo was never popular in SF, being from Ohio. I don't think losing his involvement would have been a critical negative. But memory dims.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 6:44 AM

from NE

they were working at the northern end of the Bayfront Park on Saturday

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 11:51 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_climber13 View Post
In Sacramento, parking meters were installed all over midtown and increased rates up to 9pm and on Sundays, and parking fines were increased to pay for Golden 1 Center arena.
You’re only partially correct in regards to the Golden 1 Center. The City of Sacramento financed its share of arena construction costs through the sale of bonds ($212 million) to be repaid from mostly parking garage revenue.
But the point is they have monetized parking garages that were sitting mostly vacant evenings (after state workers fled to the burbs) and weekends when downtown was mostly deserted. Sacramento doesn’t have the kind of deep pockets that San Francisco has. Nobody is going to bankroll a privately financed arena because they’re not going to recoup their money through ticket sales, But so far it’s been a huge win for Sacramento. Pedestrian traffic in the downtown (not midtown) is up 47%; property tax revenue is up and it’s attracting more business and residential options downtown. Even RT has seen increased traffic on event nights. Golden 1 is the 15th busiest arena in the nation and 32nd in the world and it’s still a very affordable venue that won’t break the bank.

Some friends and I are planning a trip to the Chase Center to watch the Kings play the Warriors on a road trip this season and nosebleed seats are going for a staggering $200. $200 a seat with no Kevin Durant or Klay Thompson.

Ticket buyers are helping to pay off the debt on the Chase Center and again that’s partly because there are a lot of deep pockets in the Bay Area. But it’s a double edged sword because those exuberant prices will price many Bay Area residents out of attending events at the Chase Center.

So you can argue that public investments don’t pay off for communities and in some cases you would be right. That’s definitely hasn’t been the case in Sacramento and our city’s experience has so far been a positive one. There’s a lot of momentum downtown all thanks to the Golden 1 Center.

Sidenote: I like the design of the Chase Center. I think it fits I nicely along the water. I can’t wait to attend a game there.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 8:22 AM

the bayfront park still is pretty much dirt for now

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 6:19 PM

I'm guessing it will be completed next season?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing it will be completed next season?
The timeline is fairly murky but it sounds like it's expected to open '2020 or 2021' according to the Mission Bay Parks website.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 12:46 AM
dazzle me

Sterile, server farm architecture that looks like it comes straight out of Canada.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development