HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 7:56 PM

DEVELOP SJ SAYS PROVINCIAL FUNDING CRITICAL TO WATERFRONT DEVELOPMENT

https://huddle.today/develop-sj-says...t-development/

I’m getting a little worried about this project as not to get too political but the fate of it is largely in the hands of the provincial government. Haven’t heard any talk about this from provincial officials and time is ticking. I hope I’m over exaggerating this... thoughts?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 11:39 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Considering the typical level of attention and support the provincial government tends to give urban priorities (i.e. not all that much), I think you're right to be concerned.

The new NBM proposal was unceremoniously killed by this government. Radio silence on the funding status for the new Central Peninsula school. And I've yet to see much visible progress on those promised municipal governance and taxation reforms that SJ and other New Brunswick cities are pushing for.

Hopefully the stakeholders here can at the very least get this couple million out of the province where federal and municipal funding is already confirmed. If the ball doesn't move forward in a timely manner, we risk another developer giving up on the project and we'll likely lose another decade.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
Considering the typical level of attention and support the provincial government tends to give urban priorities (i.e. not all that much), I think you're right to be concerned.

The new NBM proposal was unceremoniously killed by this government. Radio silence on the funding status for the new Central Peninsula school. And I've yet to see much visible progress on those promised municipal governance and taxation reforms that SJ and other New Brunswick cities are pushing for.
Cities are the future, rural areas are bleeding of jobs and people and as the world ages that trend will only pick up. It’s time for our provincial government to get on page and invest in our cities. By providing funding a private developer will invest up to $200 million to create a mixed use neighbourhood that has the capability to become the greatest real estate development in Atlantic Canada. A Develop SJ study revealed 5600-8800 new housing units would need to be built in Saint John within in a decade to meet demand. Timing is right, we are absolutely ready for this kind of investment.

Saint John is not alone in this fight, Moncton & Fredericton are both in growing phase and would largely benefit from reforms. (Ex: double taxation of rental properties) The cities are presenting the provincial government an opportunity to capitalize on growth and if they don’t bite new opportunities will go else where like Halifax.

Citizens can play a major role in this. Stop voting in MLAs who aren’t serving us! They’ve had plenty of opportunities to stand up for us like a couple of them did for ERs in rural areas.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 4:10 PM

New heritage permit application for infill at 66 Sydney/161 Princess Street. The addition would see the infill of the vacant lots to the north and east of the building and the addition of two stories on the top.
The area shaded represents the addition.

Timeline:
2020: Addition to the east
2021: addition to the north
2020: addition of new stories

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 4:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
New heritage permit application for infill at 66 Sydney/161 Princess Street. The addition would see the infill of the vacant lots to the north and east of the building and the addition of two stories on the top.
The area shaded represents the addition.

Timeline:
2020: Addition to the east
2021: addition to the north
2020: addition of new stories

This is Jim Bezanson’s property - former heritage officer that fought against Irving HQ construction. Nice design - if competed would remind me of a NYC or Boston apartment building

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 9:50 PM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
This is Jim Bezanson’s property - former heritage officer that fought against Irving HQ construction. Nice design - if competed would remind me of a NYC or Boston apartment building
I agree. Considering the drawings, it could be an improvement while maintaining the heritage feel of the area.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 7:26 PM

Looks to be construction season in Uptown Saint John is starting to begin. I’ve noticed a few new refurbishment projects have popped up and the gothic arches site is picking up. It should be an exciting year the city centre.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 12:54 AM

Sustainable Lifestyle Store Coming to Uptown Saint John

https://huddle.today/sustainable-lif...wn-saint-john/

Quote:
Katelyn Price is the founder of Juniper, a sustainable lifestyle store expected to open in uptown Saint John this spring. The shop will carry sustainably made and sourced clothing, skincare, gifts and small homewares. It will also feature a refill station, sustainably and ethically sourced cleaning supplies and personal care products like shampoo and conditioner.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 12:02 PM

Province Takes Pass On Funding For Saint John Waterfront Project
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...site-1.5492851

Simply devastating

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 1:56 PM

Don Darling will not be seeking re-election on May 11.

https://medium.com/@dondarling/my-turn-34cf8135a8f7

With this news, I see someone currently on Council who'll throw their hat into this ring. And it's a she.

o.o

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Province Takes Pass On Funding For Saint John Waterfront Project
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...site-1.5492851

Simply devastating
Pretty shocked they passed on the project, it was only $10 million and would easily return that much in direct taxes over the lifespan of the project, even without figuring in the economic spin-offs and further development that would take place.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
Pretty shocked they passed on the project, it was only $10 million and would easily return that much in direct taxes over the lifespan of the project, even without figuring in the economic spin-offs and further development that would take place.
Hopefully it won't kill the project. It would be great to see private investment in this development. It will all depend on return on investment - there'll have to be some serious number crunching done now.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 3:49 PM

Figures, when has any provincial conservative government in recent memory invested in Saint John, next will be the uptown school, always the same BS from them.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Figures, when has any provincial conservative government in recent memory invested in Saint John, next will be the uptown school, always the same BS from them.
As long as they’re in power a new school in the south end will never happen. I’m sick and tired of our city being let down by our provincial government.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 1:23 PM

You thought the PCs would invest a penny in a sensible project in a riding that didn't vote for them?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 1:44 PM

New story in the telegraph article- Province still reviewing Fundy Quay Project: Minister

[/I]https://tj.news/story/101209456?ref=fb

I don’t have a subscription so if anyone could post the material of the article that would be great. The headline seems to contradict the letter they sent to council saying they wouldn’t fund the project.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 2:14 PM

Quote:
New story in the telegraph article- Province still reviewing Fundy Quay Project: Minister

[/I]https://tj.news/story/101209456?ref=fb

I don’t have a subscription so if anyone could post the material of the article that would be great. The headline seems to contradict the letter they sent to council saying they wouldn’t fund the project.
Someone posted screenshots of the article in the comments section of this post on Retail Talk and Share NB. https://facebook.com/groups/16905026...74247499474612

They are denying that they've rejected the funding proposal. There was a miss interpretation of the letter. Apparently the Cabinet Minister says she is actually meeting with Develop SJ next week to discuss details. Overall the article is quite long so I would recommend checking out the link I provided to read the full article.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 11:19 AM

Province Will Revisit Funding Application For Saint John Waterfront Project

https://huddle.today/province-revisi...WltpooafdAWKIk

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 11:59 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Just sounds like platitudes to me. Either it's getting funding or it isn't, and the letter sent to Council makes it pretty clear that the Regional Development Corporation did not prioritize the Fundy Quay application to any significant degree (hence the "pending" designation). While it's still in the pool of eligible projects, seems to me that a number of projects that did get funding would need to fall through before they get far enough down the wait list to select a non-priority pending project. I'm not sure how quickly the federal money goes away, but I would assume they're not going to wait forever.

This is, in the best light, a major oversight by the province and in my view, more evidence that they're failing to consider the big picture with respect to alleviating the City's fiscal situation.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces