HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 10:41 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Keep that momentum going! Saint John deserves all the things!!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post

On another note, we finally beat Moncton at something U-haul released their migration trends (not an exact indicator of population growth but a good gauge of it) and Saint John is number 25 in Canada as a top destination for uhaul one way drop offs (only NB city to make list). The only other Atlantic Canada city to make list is Charlottetown at number 23. If I read stats right, 52% of all uhaul one way trips end up in Saint John. It just confirms what I’ve been seeing. One weekend uptown it seemed every other street had a uhaul unloading. If you drive uptown there are tons of cars with Ontario plates. Driving anywhere in city seems like every 10th car has a Ontario plate. The housing market is so tight too - very few properties available compared to before.
Tell me about it. I'm actively in the market for a house in or near the core and it is a very tough market right now, very little housing stock is available and many are being gobbled up far over market price by out-of-province buyers.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 3:21 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
Tell me about it. I'm actively in the market for a house in or near the core and it is a very tough market right now, very little housing stock is available and many are being gobbled up far over market price by out-of-province buyers.
Pretty amazing how quickly things changed from SJ being a buyers market to being a sellers market. Wasn't that long ago that you could snap up Uptown properties on the cheap.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 10:00 PM

Big project uptown to be announced within the next couple weeks.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 10:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Don't tease us. We love rumours on SSP.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
You promise ? This isn’t some fundy quay strung along since 2005 type of project ?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 10:58 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

I love a good announcement - can't wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Pretty amazing how quickly things changed from SJ being a buyers market to being a sellers market. Wasn't that long ago that you could snap up Uptown properties on the cheap.
On that note, the SJ Real Estate Board has released their year-end numbers for 2020: https://creastats.crea.ca/board/sjnb

Quote:
Saint John Real Estate Board MLS® home sales reach new annual record in 2020

The number of homes sold through the MLS® System of the Saint John Real Estate Board totaled 188 units in December 2020. This was a large increase of 56.7% from December 2019. This was also a new sales record for the month of December.

On an annual basis, home sales totaled a record 2,583 units over the course of 2020. This was an increase of 12.7% from the same period in 2019.

"Home sales in Saint John set a new December record by a mile. What’s more impressive is that in a year impacted by COVID we also managed to set a new annual record and broke through the 2,500 sales level for the first time in history," said Corey Breau, President of the Saint John Real Estate Board. "The market remained hot through the end of the year, with the pace of sales actually accelerating in December for that time of year. With not nearly enough listings coming onto the market to satiate this demand it’s no surprise that inventories are now at their lowest in more than 15 years. As a result of the tighter market, prices recorded a healthy gain of nearly 8 percent this year."

The average price of homes sold in December 2020 was $192,620, edging up 2.3% from December 2019.

The more comprehensive annual average price was $197,688, up 7.7% from all of 2019.

The dollar value of all home sales in December 2020 was $36.2 million, a large increase of 60.2% from the same month in 2019. This was also a new record for the month of December.

There were 139 new residential listings in December 2020. This was a large increase of 47.9% from the end of December 2019. “Even though this was the largest number of new listings added in the month of December for five years, it was still not enough to keep up with sales activity,” added Corey Breau.

Active residential listings numbered 567 units at the end of December. This was a large decline of 42.9% from the end of December 2019. Active listings haven't been this low in the month of December in more than 15 years.

Months of inventory numbered 3 at the end of December 2020, down from the 8.3 months recorded at the end of December 2019 and below the long-run average of 15 months for this time of year. The number of months of inventory is the number of months it would take to sell current inventories at the current rate of sales activity.
The data certainly bears out our observations of an increasingly hot real estate market.

On the rental side of things, I have been undergoing an apartment search the past few months and there has been precious little availability that is decent quality, well-located and moderately priced. Ultimately, I've been priced out of the Central Peninsula and will be moving to an apartment elsewhere in the city with acceptable transit access starting next month.

I'm anxiously awaiting the CMHC's rental market data for October 2020 (set to be published next week), to see if my anecdotal experience is also reflected there.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
You promise ? This isn’t some fundy quay strung along since 2005 type of project ?
No no, just one building I believe. I don't know anything beyond that... there's really only a few choice sites left.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 12:48 AM

Quote:
No no, just one building I believe. I don't know anything beyond that... there's really only a few choice sites left.
How tall??????? C'mon... tell us!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 1:04 AM

If we’re reaching a point where folks are being priced out of the central peninsula we’re doing something wrong. We champion ourselves in being an affordable city and I think this sends the wrong message. This isn’t Manhattan...

The demand is there but the supply isn’t so landlords know they can get away with unreasonable prices but I can’t blame them because they’re in the business to make money.

Also Adam, please give more details about this project!! And just to be clear this isn’t 91 King or UNBSJ’s plans?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 1:17 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
If we’re reaching a point where folks are being priced out of the central peninsula we’re doing something wrong. We champion ourselves in being an affordable city and I think this sends the wrong message. This isn’t Manhattan...
It's not Manhattan but it is the same as every other urban area in Canada, all of which are seeing similarly rising prices. SJ is just seeing this after cities like Toronto and Vancouver have already gone through it. Have you checked out Halifax prices lately?

Quote:
The demand is there but the supply isn’t so landlords know they can get away with unreasonable prices but I can’t blame them because they’re in the business to make money.
The onus is on the provincial government to institute rent freezes and max. caps as a rising % year/year. Cap rent increases at 2%-5% per year for continuing residents. Anything to protect renters.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
It's not Manhattan but it is the same as every other urban area in Canada, all of which are seeing similarly rising prices. SJ is just seeing this after cities like Toronto and Vancouver have already gone through it. Have you checked out Halifax prices lately?

The onus is on the provincial government to institute rent freezes and max. caps as a rising % year/year. Cap rent increases at 2%-5% per year for continuing residents. Anything to protect renters.
Great points! The policies you mention would certainly help the pricing market even out. I haven’t checked Halifax’s prices but I’m aware of a new development downtown that’s going to be home to some very expensive apartments which goes to show there is a market for these kinds of developments. I’m all for these kinds of things I just think it’s important to keep in mind why people are moving from Ontario and elsewhere to New Brunswick.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 9:32 AM
Unregistered Loser

These figures don’t include more recent gains...
...but gains nonetheless.

In SJ’s case, 80% of that growth is within the city limits according to a CBC article...https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...owth-1.5874268

NEW BRUNSWICK'S CHANGING POPULATION

AREA 2020 POP. CHANGE FROM 2015

Moncton 158,695 +12,328

Fredericton 111,024 +8,128

Saint John 131,772 +3,490

Other 379,985 -1,312

*Source: Statistics Canada. Population figures are all from July 1.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 5:15 PM

Drilling and excavation happening at the future sea bird’s apartment complex in Millidgeville. I suspect this project will take off this spring/summer.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 5:20 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Drilling and excavation happening at the future sea bird’s apartment complex in Millidgeville. I suspect this project will take off this spring/summer.
Just down the street, the warehousing building on the corner of Millidge & University is for sale for $2.6M.

https://www.bbrokers.ca/property/661...saint-john-nb/

It'll probably continue being used as some sort of warehouse or call centre but for such a property at such a high visibility intersection I think its days might be numbered. Something much more high-profile could and should end up here eventually.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 12:02 AM

Saint John upcoming PAC has info for East Point - several residential buildings (5 and 6 stories) total 196 units

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 5:51 PM

Foundation now in for MacKay Builder’s north end 28 unit building

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 5:55 PM

Excavation started for Seabird Development’s 2 X 44 unit buildings

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 6:03 PM

View of uptown and development sites

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 10:39 PM

La Calabria from East Point - this will be one huge
building as the work left to right

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by cdnguys; Jan 26, 2021 at 1:42 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces