HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Hyatt Place Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Austin Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 7:04 AM

Cool Hyatt Place | 207 FT | 17 Floors | U/C | T.O.

I was looking for info about the 1k room Marriott in DT Austin on White Lodging's website and in their "development portfolio" (link) the next to last listing is a Hyatt Place in DT Austin.

A DT location isn't listed on the Hyatt Place website but their listings only go to 2010 so anything that's not already under construction might not be listed there either. There already are Hyatt Place hotels near The Domain and Highland Mall so a DT location isn't far fetched. Any one know where this is going to be built and how soon? I imagine a ~100 room hotel would be easier to build in the meantime while White Lodging keeps the Marriott Complex on hold.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 2:18 PM

Good find. I did some searching and found a small rendering. The article says it will be an 800 room hotel. Looks like it will be about 17-18 floors. I can't tell from the rendering where it's planned to be built, but I'm almost wondering if it will replace what was going to be built at Congress & Second across from the Austonian.

http://www.whitelodging.com/pdf/Press2009152008.pdf

Edited to add: Ugh - I found another (different) rendering for a Hyatt Place downtown Austin

Go here

http://www.reires.com/flash/infobox-...nt-content.htm

and click on the second link. I hope if it gets built that it's the first rendering and not the second one.

Then again, maybe the first rendering is the Westin planned for downtown. That's supposed to be a White Lodging property, too.

Last edited by LoneStarMike; Aug 13, 2009 at 2:41 PM. Reason: added second rendering

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 5:35 PM
Austinite

Another good find. Not too crazy about the design, height and massing of these buildings, but you can't expect an architectural masterpiece with a hotel. I agree that the 1st design is better than the 2nd. Hopefully they won't occupy a non-capitol corridor block.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 10:49 PM
Meh

Good find. I think that first one is probably a rendering for another building, but will probably be of the same concept for the one in Austin. There are some surrounding buildings in that rendering that definitely aren't in Austin.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 11:40 PM
CIA since 2003

3rd & Jacinto

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
Good find. I did some searching and found a small rendering. The article says it will be an 800 room hotel. Looks like it will be about 17-18 floors. I can't tell from the rendering where it's planned to be built, but I'm almost wondering if it will replace what was going to be built at Congress & Second across from the Austonian.

http://www.whitelodging.com/pdf/Press2009152008.pdf

Edited to add: Ugh - I found another (different) rendering for a Hyatt Place downtown Austin

Go here

http://www.reires.com/flash/infobox-...nt-content.htm

and click on the second link. I hope if it gets built that it's the first rendering and not the second one.

Then again, maybe the first rendering is the Westin planned for downtown. That's supposed to be a White Lodging property, too.
This would be the 1/4 block parking lot at 3rd & San Jacinto. It is next to the Hampton Inn and across the street from the original 21 C site. I believe the 21C developers bought it from Whitley along with the printing plant. The applicant on the zoning case is White Lodging, and the owner is listed as Hywhite, LLC (ie. Hyatt - White Lodging).

The first link is the Marriot Convention Center Hotel at 2nd & Congress (or 3rd and Brazos if you wish - just down the block from the Hyatt). Read the article.

The 3rd & Colorado hotel is being developed by Hixon and Hines and is designed by Lake Flato. It is definitely in another class from these design wise. It was originally branded as a Westin, but the developers hinted that they were still negotiating on the brand around the same time that Hilton announced a new boutique line and Austin as a target market.

On the other hand, the 5th and Colorado site could the Hilton boutique site. (Mere speculation on my part)

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan View Post
This would be the 1/4 block parking lot at 3rd & San Jacinto. It is next to the Hampton Inn and across the street from the original 21 C site. I believe the 21C developers bought it from Whitley along with the printing plant. The applicant on the zoning case is White Lodging, and the owner is listed as Hywhite, LLC (ie. Hyatt - White Lodging).

The first link is the Marriot Convention Center Hotel at 2nd & Congress (or 3rd and Brazos if you wish - just down the block from the Hyatt). Read the article.

The 3rd & Colorado hotel is being developed by Hixon and Hines and is designed by Lake Flato. It is definitely in another class from these design wise. It was originally branded as a Westin, but the developers hinted that they were still negotiating on the brand around the same time that Hilton announced a new boutique line and Austin as a target market.

On the other hand, the 5th and Colorado site could the Hilton boutique site. (Mere speculation on my part)
You are correct about Poe (21C) buying the parking lot accross the street from Whitley. Thanks for putting the info together.

However, I am sorry to say I would prefer the parking lots to either of these designs. Cheap looking. Just Cheap. At least the one will look at home next to the Hampton Inn.

Please don't tell me they are considering fronting congress with that first box. Is that what I'm getting?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 4:29 AM
Meh

Are they seriously chopping down the Marriott convention center hotel at the Las Manitas site by that much? From a 31-story tower to a 17-story one? I hope not. I wouldn't mind so much except that it's on Congress Avenue. Seems like a total waste of that block. Go tall!

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Are they seriously chopping down the Marriott convention center hotel at the Las Manitas site by that much? From a 31-story tower to a 17-story one? I hope not. I wouldn't mind so much except that it's on Congress Avenue. Seems like a total waste of that block. Go tall!
Lets's hope not. But it wouldn't be too big of a surprise. I've heard the only way hotels have stayed cash positive during this recession is thru the extra services they offer, especially in-room movies.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 8:38 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Okay what are those monstrosities that are on the renderings???? You got to be kidding me??? The Marriott Hotel being that boxy and that short across the street from the Tallest Residential Highrise in the western United States??? , I don't know what kind of people they hire for designing these ugly box things but this is unacceptible. I mean why not build tall? I don't see the point of something that short and stubby and take up that much space especially at 2nd and Congress. I hope that its not the actual design. It says 800 room Hotel but I thought the Marriott was going to be 1000 rooms? What is the difference between Hyatt Place and an actual Hyatt hotel which we already have a nice one across the river?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 1:42 AM
Meh

I'd rather the hotel be placed on hold for a while longer than to have it be smaller or of less quality. If that's the case, I wouldn't miss it at all if it wasn't ever built. No ugos on the avenue please!

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 7:15 AM

Quote:

Calm down. There's no way that this

is a redesign of the Marriott complex on 2nd & Congress. With the red tape White Lodging (WL) has gone through, it wouldn't be scaled down into such a small building and a reduction in rooms. Besides, WL would have had to go back before the P&Z dept and get reissued building and other permits and the press be all over a new design of the complex. I'm not saying the last released design is final (considering the current one is in its forth revision, it could always change) but the lack of information about a redesign and the fact that the above rendering fits more with the physical info I've found, about the hotel on NEC of 3rd & Colorado, doesn't add up that the rendering from the article is the 2nd & Congress hotel.

Also, the article says:
Quote:
In downtown Austin, Texas, White Lodging is developing a multi-use Marriott project that includes a SpringHill Suites, a Fairfield Inn and a TownePlaces Suites, comprising about 800 rooms.
If the above rendering is of this project mentioned in the article that'd make sense.

Back on subject to the Hyatt Place hotel...

Any clue about the architect? While it may not be as iconic as the Frost Bank Tower or The Austonian, who ever it was did a great of blending the current "suburban" model for new construction Hyatt Place hotels and its next door neighbor, the Hampton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
...I mean why not build tall? I don't see the point of something that short and stubby and take up that much space especially at 2nd and Congress.
Money. It's not cost effective to build up when you don't have to. Just the hard costs alone increase for every couple floors a building rises. If Benchmark development acquired the entire block The Austonian sits on, we'd see another ALMI Downtown and not the tallest residential high-rise in the state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
...What is the difference between Hyatt Place and an actual Hyatt hotel which we already have a nice one across the river?
The Hyatt Regency across Lady Bird Lake is a full service hotel (like Doubletree, Hilton, & Raddison), while the Hyatt Place brand focuses on the upper mid-market (like Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn Express & Courtyard by Marriott). A new Hyatt Place in DT wouldn't be competing with the Hyatt Regency across the lake, it'd be competing with the Courtyard by Marriott and Hampton Inn & Suites.

Last edited by NThomas; Aug 15, 2009 at 8:36 AM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 8:12 AM

I was playing around in Sketchup and here's a little preview of what's to come...

I think this hotel is going to make the San Jacinto block between 2nd & 3rd look amazing!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 1:19 PM
CIA since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by NThomas View Post
Calm down. There's no way that this

is a redesign of the Marriott complex on 2nd & Congress. With the red tape White Lodging (WL) has gone through, it wouldn't be scaled down into such a small building and a reduction in rooms. Besides, WL would have had to go back before the P&Z dept and get reissued building and other permits and the press be all over a new design of the complex. I'm not saying the last released design is final (considering the current one is in its forth revision, it could always change) but the lack of information about a redesign and the fact that the above rendering fits more with the physical info I've found, about the hotel on NEC of 3rd & Colorado, doesn't add up that the rendering from the article is the 2nd & Congress hotel.

Also, the article says:
If the above rendering is of this project mentioned in the article that'd make sense.
White Lodging hasn't even submitted a site plan for the 2nd and Congress project, let alone building permits. My guess is the rendering is just a generic image posted up for the article, but they are clearly referring to that project in the article.

I can assure you, that rendering is not the 3rd and Colorado project.

Last edited by SecretAgentMan; Aug 15, 2009 at 1:24 PM. Reason: Assurances

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 5:53 PM

While I completely understand the renderings posted are not for the property along Congress. They do represent a rather aesthetic-less company. That goes for the Hyatt Place as well. I do not hold great hope for the Congress property. I truly Hope to be proved wrong.... But go back to the original design. Quite lacking in interest.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 7:54 PM
Austinite

Unless its a mixed-use tower, I can't think of many hotels that could be classified as architectural 8th Wonders of the World.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 9:49 PM

Quote:
White Lodging hasn't even submitted a site plan for the 2nd and Congress project, let alone building permits. My guess is the rendering is just a generic image posted up for the article, but they are clearly referring to that project in the article.

I can assure you, that rendering is not the 3rd and Colorado project.
So we have absolutely no idea whats going in there?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 11:04 PM
CIA since 2003

3rd and Colorado?

Quote:
So we have absolutely no idea whats going in there?
Well, I have an idea because I've seen renderings. The developer's agent was showing them at Boards & Commissions during the zoning process. I've never seen them published, though.

2nd & Congress has not submitted a site plan yet. It is possible they will need zoning for additional FAR, so we might see something there first. They will need to vacate the alley, which will require a public hearing, so it is likely they will show renderings to make their case then. That would likely occur concurrent with any zoning case.

3rd and Brazos and 5th and Colorado have just submitted zoning, so there is a good chance that renderings will be shown during that process in the next few months.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Well, I have an idea because I've seen renderings. The developer's agent was showing them at Boards & Commissions during the zoning process. I've never seen them published, though.

2nd & Congress has not submitted a site plan yet. It is possible they will need zoning for additional FAR, so we might see something there first. They will need to vacate the alley, which will require a public hearing, so it is likely they will show renderings to make their case then. That would likely occur concurrent with any zoning case.

3rd and Brazos and 5th and Colorado have just submitted zoning, so there is a good chance that renderings will be shown during that process in the next few months.
Thank you very much for keeping us posted. I appreciate the fact that you have factual information.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 11:31 PM
CIA since 2003

Approved

Quote:
I was playing around in Sketchup and here's a little preview of what's to come...

I think this hotel is going to make the San Jacinto block between 2nd & 3rd look amazing!
This project received zoning approval today at City Council.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 11:59 PM

does that mean we'll be seeing renderings soon?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin