HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 7:38 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Yes we CAN...nabis!

Because the Canada remains the ONLY nation globally to not only make cannabis legal but to create a growing industrial sector around it, I thought we'd better split off the discussion under the economy thread into this one. So... Do you like it? If so why? And when was your first experiences with it? Has your opinion changed of it over time?

Personally I grew up in a progressive but tea-totaling house where my parents didn't smoke, drink or do any kinds of drugs but were very unhappy people nonetheless. There was no real stigma over it because how stinky it was and how people react in the mere presence of it.

I didn't smoke my first joint until I was with some friends from college at a party when I was 25. Now I use it daily for medical reasons due to liver damage, PTSD, insomnia and chronic pain from a hernia as well as for anxiety from all said conditions.

I used to think it was a drug for burnouts and the unambitious now I see it for what it is an all-purpose wonder drug that can do what other medications that cost thousands of dollars can't and can pretty much help everyone is some capacity or another.

I'm also glad to see it help the Alberta economy which needs economic diversification more than anything else right now (besides sane fiscal management)...

Anyway... Discuss!

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 8:38 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I was there when the first legal weed was sold in Canada. It was a very exciting night in St. John's - the cannabis retailers opened at midnight the day of legalization (10:30 p.m. Eastern).

I can probably count on two hands the number of times I smoked weed growing up. It'd get passed around at a house party or two, but that's really it. I never did it on my own, or alone.

As an adult, I knew lots of people who smoked regularly - from a landlord's grandmother, to bosses and coworkers, even a former long-term partner. All different backgrounds. So I never associated it with stoners. It was my impression close to half the population was using it at least occasionally.

I don't particularly enjoy it as I'm a drinker and the two don't go together very well. But I do love taking an oil capsule or two to relax when sober.

Glad to see we're getting into growing, and happy that our regulations are on the more lenient side of the spectrum across the provinces. Still bitterly disappointed not one of the private cannabis stores is called 4:50.

I'm very glad it's legal. I think it's almost harmless compared to booze and tobacco cigarettes. And socially it's been used for so long, even in Canada, to heavily police minorities so I'm very glad that'll be lessened at least somewhat.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 8:49 PM

I work in healthcare and though I can honestly say I have never had it though I am very happy to have it legal. In comparison to alcohol it is far less damaging to society and I am happy to see more people smoking cleaning weed. Personal experience would say that alcohol has a hand in maybe 30 percent of the patients I run into in my ER, where as weed is a factor in maybe 2 percent.
I hope this leads to a Portuguese style legalization of all drugs, so that we can stop arresting users and put money where it should be (another discussion). For now it is a good start.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 9:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
I hope this leads to a Portuguese style legalization of all drugs.
I sincerely hope not.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
I sincerely hope not.
Any rational reason for that?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 1:01 AM

I hope that over the coming years, cannabis replaces alcohol as the most popular recreational drug. Cannabis is less bad for people's health than alcohol, it's less addictive, and stoned people are far less violent and disruptive than drunk people. There's a major potential for improvement to social issues if cannabis starts to supersede alcohol.

Although this is fading large parts of our society and culture still see alcohol as normal and cannabis as stigmatized. My company Christmas party had lots of booze but never any weed, for example.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 2:51 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I'm very happy that weed is now legalized and regulated. I'm not a huge smoker (only partake now and then when I'm back in Canada), but I'm happy that this wonder plant is no longer criminalized. It kind of pisses me off that it was ever illegal in the first place. In retrospect, it was totally irresponsible by the government. How many lives did they ruin due to prohibition?

As for a Portuguese-style of drug regulation, I'm on board. I'd rather have government-regulated drugs than have 17 year old kids dying due to fentanyl-laced MDMA. Prohibition causes more problems than it solves.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 7:49 AM

Yes we can...nabis, mais pas de pot avant 21 au Québec dès le 1er Janvier.

I agree with both the federal legalization, and Quebec’s more strict laws that will soon come into force. Other provinces should follow suit. 18 or 19 is too young to be smoking pot.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 9:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
I hope that over the coming years, cannabis replaces alcohol as the most popular recreational drug. Cannabis is less bad for people's health than alcohol, it's less addictive, and stoned people are far less violent and disruptive than drunk people. There's a major potential for improvement to social issues if cannabis starts to supersede alcohol.

Although this is fading large parts of our society and culture still see alcohol as normal and cannabis as stigmatized. My company Christmas party had lots of booze but never any weed, for example.
The unfortunate part is that I can already see our next generation growing up with warnings about the health dangers of cannabis as research begins to show what happens with prolonged use. I understand that several users will blindly criticize any argument that cannabis may be unhealthy. But there is research showing that there is cause to be wary and that further research is needed. Honestly this situation seems very similar to how tobacco was decades ago with some research showing indicators and a large mass of users and the industry itself doing its best to silence any doubts. Smoking anything is risky. I'd encourage cannabis users to ingest edibles instead because why take the risk? Marijuana is risky but ingesting it will reduce these risks. Anyone with heart issues should avoid cannabis entirely.

Hasn't everyone already figured out by now that almost nothing you enjoy consuming is healthy for you?

Quote:
Cardiovascular effects
One of the few things scientists know for sure about marijuana and cardiovascular health is that people with established heart disease who are under stress develop chest pain more quickly if they have been smoking marijuana than they would have otherwise. This is because of complex effects cannabinoids have on the cardiovascular system, including raising resting heart rate, dilating blood vessels, and making the heart pump harder. Research suggests that the risk of heart attack is several times higher in the hour after smoking marijuana than it would be normally. While this does not pose a significant threat to people who have minimal cardiovascular risk, it should be a red flag for anyone with a history of heart disease. Although the evidence is weaker, there are also links to a higher risk of atrial fibrillation or ischemic stroke immediately following marijuana use. Consistent with these links, studies by Dr. Mukamal and colleagues also suggest that marijuana smoking may increase the long-term death rate among heart attack survivors.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart...u-need-to-know

Quote:
Cannabis use appears to change the structure of the heart, researchers reveal

TORONTO -- Regular cannabis use could affect the structure and function of the heart, according to new research.

Scientists at Queen Mary University in London, England, analysed MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) pictures from a cohort of around 3,400 people and identified an association between regular cannabis use and an enlarged left ventricle, the heart's main pumping chamber, together with early signs of impairment of heart function.

The analysis found that people who had used cannabis regularly but then gave it up had similar heart size and function to those who had rarely or never taken the drug.

"Our findings are not conclusive but the research took place against a backdrop of decriminalization and legalization of recreational cannabis use in many countries,” lead author Dr. Mohammed Khanji, senior clinical lecturer at Queen Mary, said.

“We urgently need systematic research to identify the long-term implications of regular consumption of cannabis on the heart and blood vessels. This would allow health professionals and policymakers to improve advice to patients and the wider public."

The study analyzed cardiac scans for 3,407 individuals with an average age of 62, who did not have cardiovascular disease.

Most (3,255) rarely or never used cannabis, 105 had used it regularly but had stopped more than five years before they were interviewed and 47 were current regular users.

The latter group was more likely to have larger left ventricles and show early signs of impaired heart function, measured by how the heart muscle fibres deform during contraction.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/cannab...veal-1.4735940

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 2:18 PM

I've never smoked anything. My parents were big smokers when I was a kid and I said something about wanting to try it because they did it. So, at 6 years old, my mom says "ok, take this, stick it in your mouth like this, and suck really hard on it". Needless to say, I went into a coughing fit for several minutes, and fortunately that stuck with me over the years and I never tried it again lol. So smoking a joint was out of the question lol. Now that the edibles are out there I might give it a try sometime, just out of curiosity. But I'm also not a regular drinker, so I doubt cannabis is something that I will do very often if I ever do it. I do joke around now that I'm past 50 that maybe I should start doing some of those things more lol.

I think Ontario has totally screwed up how they have rolled the sale of it out though. It wasn't even in stores until April, the stores that were selected were only told a few weeks before, and the ones that didn't open right on the first date in April were fined. And somehow the government managed to lose money on it. Remember when people would say "legalize and tax weed and the government would pay off it's debt in no time"? lol

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
The unfortunate part is that I can already see our next generation growing up with warnings about the health dangers of cannabis as research begins to show what happens with prolonged use. I understand that several users will blindly criticize any argument that cannabis may be unhealthy. But there is research showing that there is cause to be wary and that further research is needed. Honestly this situation seems very similar to how tobacco was decades ago with some research showing indicators and a large mass of users and the industry itself doing its best to silence any doubts. Smoking anything is risky. I'd encourage cannabis users to ingest edibles instead because why take the risk? Marijuana is risky but ingesting it will reduce these risks. Anyone with heart issues should avoid cannabis entirely.

Hasn't everyone already figured out by now that almost nothing you enjoy consuming is healthy for you?

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart...u-need-to-know

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/cannab...veal-1.4735940
Absolutely, edibles are preferred. All the weed CEOs are convinced that in the coming years consumables (edibles, beverages, etc.) will make up the lion's share of cannabis consumption.

I did not say anywhere that recreational cannabis is healthy, it clearly isn't. What I did say is that it's better than alcohol. Which research shows is clearly true. Both from a personal health perspective and from a social perspective. Drunk people are more dangerous to themselves and to others than stoned people are.

People will always do drugs. Whether it's cannabis, alcohol, tobacco... and of that lot, cannabis is the least harmful. If stoners replace drinkers that's net win.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
18 or 19 is too young to be smoking pot.
Do you feel the same about drinking alcohol?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
Do you feel the same about drinking alcohol?
Exactly. The amount of shocking ignorance is well not shocking especially in the context of those who clearly like to drink themselves stupid...

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 9:46 PM
Go Chiefs!

I'm glad we legalized cannabis but the whole industry isn't exactly profitable. Aurora and Canopy aren't going to be until at least 2022 that is if they ever are.

The US are eventually going to legalize cannabis federally so that would be the time for Canadian companies to use their excess production to good use.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 11:22 PM

I really love that cannabis is legal, but the government really dropped the ball on legalization. The amount of red tape and bullshit hoops to jump through are the reason the industry isn’t profitable. It’s like the governments went out of their way to ensure it wouldn’t be. The duty paid stickers cost $1 a piece. On a $5 joint thats 1/5 of the cost. The fact that an entire chocolate bar can only have 10mg of THC, is ridiculous. I can buy a bottle of 60 soft gels at 10mg THC per capsule and consume as many as I like, could you imagine eating four chocolate bars to get high? Or drinking 4 cans of cola to get 10 mg of THC. It’s absolutely mind boggling that people who have no idea about cannabis are calling the shots on its consumption, sale, distribution, and production. At least prices have been dropping here in Manitoba, picked up seven grams for $34.99 the other day. That’s reasonable. That’s the same price as most 1/8’s here.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
I really love that cannabis is legal, but the government really dropped the ball on legalization. The amount of red tape and bullshit hoops to jump through are the reason the industry isn’t profitable. It’s like the governments went out of their way to ensure it wouldn’t be. The duty paid stickers cost $1 a piece. On a $5 joint thats 1/5 of the cost. The fact that an entire chocolate bar can only have 10mg of THC, is ridiculous. I can buy a bottle of 60 soft gels at 10mg THC per capsule and consume as many as I like, could you imagine eating four chocolate bars to get high? Or drinking 4 cans of cola to get 10 mg of THC. It’s absolutely mind boggling that people who have no idea about cannabis are calling the shots on its consumption, sale, distribution, and production. At least prices have been dropping here in Manitoba, picked up seven grams for $34.99 the other day. That’s reasonable. That’s the same price as most 1/8’s here.
Nice. What product was that? I've been trying to find Boxing Week sales here in Alberta but they have been rather weak. The best deal I've gotten of the season so far was 3.5g of Hexo Helios (Maui Wowie) for $28.99 @ YSS but that was just before Xmas...

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 2:18 AM

The maximum doses rules on edibles are not only dumb, they're dangerous. I understand why they did it (it really doesn't take a lot of a black market weed chocolate bar to get someone really high, especially if they're a novice user), but I worry it might actually make the situation more dangerous.

Imagine this scenario. You're a good citizen, you only buy legal weed. You like edibles and you're used to having to eat a whole chocolate bar from Your Local Government Weed Store to get a comfortable level of high. Then you go to a party where people are handing out black market weed chocolates. You rip off about a whole bar's worth from the big square they're tossing around and eat it one go. But because this is black market edibles, you just ate like ten times more weed than you thought you did.

The risk of that happening with the way the government has chosen to regulate dosages, is actually quite serious. I feel like it would actually be safer to have regulated THC per gram dosages similar to black market normals, but regulate smaller portion sizes in the packaging (with TAKE ONE AT A TIME written in big letters on the packaging) to prevent novices from eating too much.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 4:38 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
I hope this leads to a Portuguese style legalization of all drugs, so that we can stop arresting users and put money where it should be (another discussion). For now it is a good start.
Technically, what Portugal has is decriminalization, not legalization. Essentially what it means is that it's taking an action that is illegal and removing criminal penalties; for example, you don't get a criminal record for speeding, although you still have to pay the fine. Legalization means taking an act that is illegal and making it legal, with no fines/penalties/etc.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2019, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
Nice. What product was that? I've been trying to find Boxing Week sales here in Alberta but they have been rather weak. The best deal I've gotten of the season so far was 3.5g of Hexo Helios (Maui Wowie) for $28.99 @ YSS but that was just before Xmas...
I made the purchase at Tweed and it was their house brand, Penelope. I also purchased and 3.5g of DNA genetics lemon skunk for $22, both of which were on sale. Grasslands has 5g of sativa or indica for $34 regular price. Delta 9 has sales quite often because they grow in Manitoba and operate their own stores. So it forces the other stores to lower their prices. I got some blue venom from delta 9, 3.5g for $21, some random stuff called the batch, 3.5g for $25. The premium stuff is more expensive, Cannafarms is by far the most expensive at 3.5g for $64. Broken coast, houseplant, and LBS, run around $45 for 3.5g. One thing I’m glad is that Manitoba decided on private shops. I think it makes for a better shopping experience. I really like the atmosphere of the Tweed and delta 9 shops. They have great staff, and give away so much free stuff, I’ve got pins, badges, tshirts, rain ponchos, touques, lighters and grinders, all for free! Love getting free stuff!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2019, 2:42 AM

I am happy about legalization. Even though I don't really smoke very often, it was nice to see it finally happen. I never though I would see it happen honestly.

I smoked once in a while when I was a teen and smoked a handful of times when I was in my 20s. When Cannabis was legalized it had been well over a decade since I smoked any cannabis. I had to go out and buy some when it was legalized. I got a little carried away going to all the cannabis shops buying a little bit at each one. I tried the oil capsules for the first time and also the cannabis spray. I think I took a bit too much spray cause I got completely rocked and it lasted for a very long time. It was intense.

Overall I think its great they legalized it. I like going into the cannabis shops. The only people I hear complaining about legalization are people that were always against pot or people that smoke way too much pot. The only thing I was a bit pissed off about is that I am not allowed to grow my own pot plant here in Manitoba. That is something I have always wanted to do.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada