HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 1:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
What is going on with Torchetti ? I heard that he is in a fight with Robert Irving ?
I don't know what is true anymore,
No one knows, but it probably boils down to:

1) - Torchetti getting caught secretly negotiating a pro coaching contract
2) - Torchetti & RKI disagreeing over how to approach the upcoming trade period.
3) - Torchetti getting pissed off with RKI meddling in team operations.

In any event, the most toxic thing here is the uncertainty. This could badly affect team morale. This situation has to be resolved quickly (within the next week) and the team move on either with Tochetti or not.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 2:10 PM

According to Neil Hodge's article in today's transcript, Torchetti was on the ice yesterday for the teams practice. So he's still technically with the team

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
No one knows, but it probably boils down to:

1) - Torchetti getting caught secretly negotiating a pro coaching contract
2) - Torchetti & RKI disagreeing over how to approach the upcoming trade period.
3) - Torchetti getting pissed off with RKI meddling in team operations.

In any event, the most toxic thing here is the uncertainty. This could badly affect team morale. This situation has to be resolved quickly (within the next week) and the team move on either with Tochetti or not.
From what I am hearing it is neither of these 3 situations and is something much more serious...something not Irvings fault whatsoever. This doesn't really end the speculation and probably causes more of it but since nothing is really confirmed at this point thats all I'll add.

Before anyone speculates on abuse of players with all the recent ongoings in hockey it is not related to that but moroso a personal matter with Torchetti.

I expect we'll see either a resignation or a firing at some point as they can't let this carry on forever and need to have someone in place to stabalize the team. I don't think Boyce and Salvis can carry this team to a championship. Salvis has the more proven track record of the 2 though since he coached a team to an MHL championship...but I dont see Irving sticking with unproven guys in a year like this.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 6:37 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
From what I am hearing it is neither of these 3 situations and is something much more serious...something not Irvings fault whatsoever. This doesn't really end the speculation and probably causes more of it but since nothing is really confirmed at this point thats all I'll add.

Before anyone speculates on abuse of players with all the recent ongoings in hockey it is not related to that but moroso a personal matter with Torchetti.

I expect we'll see either a resignation or a firing at some point as they can't let this carry on forever and need to have someone in place to stabalize the team. I don't think Boyce and Salvis can carry this team to a championship. Salvis has the more proven track record of the 2 though since he coached a team to an MHL championship...but I dont see Irving sticking with unproven guys in a year like this.

Its too bad really they are playing really well and the chemistry on the team is good, I just hope this doesn't mess it all up

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
Its too bad really they are playing really well and the chemistry on the team is good, I just hope this doesn't mess it all up
Guy Boucher may be available..he's won a Championship in the Q and obviously been a head coach at the NHL Level

Perhaps on short notice he would be willing take on a 1-2 year contract in hopes of moving back up to the pro level.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Guy Boucher may be available..he's won a Championship in the Q and obviously been a head coach at the NHL Level

Perhaps on short notice he would be willing take on a 1-2 year contract in hopes of moving back up to the pro level.
It'll probably never be made public exactly what happened with Torch. But the "leave of absence for personal reasons" sounds a bit sketchy. Things were going great. Was there a conflict with Mr. Irving?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 8:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:

I trust your insight into this lirette, you are much more attuned to the pulse of what's going on than I am.

On one hand, I'm happy to hear that RKI is blameless. This should make it easier to come up with a satisfactory replacement for Torchetti (if necessary). Any replacement would be reassured knowing he is not stepping into a toxic environment.

On the other hand, this is sad for Torchetti. One can imagine a number of different scenarios requiring a winning head coach to suddenly take a leave of absence for personal reasons. None of these scenarios are happy ones. I wish him well, and if his destiny is ultimately to leave the team, I hope he is successful in his future endeavours.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 10:28 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

https://www.journalpioneer.com/sport...ldcats-384130/

Quote:
When I signed with Moncton, I made the commitment that I wouldn't be leaving for an NHL job,” Torchetti told the Times & Transcript. “I would never do that. I'm here for a mission and that's the bottom line. I'm here to win the Quebec league championship and Memorial Cup.
Could be an illness with either himself or a family member. Whatever it is your life has to take priority over your job so lets hope its nothing too serious and he can get back to the team soon.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 8:45 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewber View Post
https://www.journalpioneer.com/sport...ldcats-384130/

Could be an illness with either himself or a family member. Whatever it is your life has to take priority over your job so lets hope its nothing too serious and he can get back to the team soon.
I was thinking the same. Hopefully all goes well.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 4:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

So I see the Wildcats started out their Quebec road trip with a convincing 6-2 win over Victoriaville. McKenna with a hat trick.

That's encouraging.........

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 3:04 AM

Quote:
So I see the Wildcats started out their Quebec road trip with a convincing 6-2 win over Victoriaville. McKenna with a hat trick.

That's encouraging.........
Khovanov 5 penalties tonight , not so much . Torchitt was able to keep him more discipline since when he took the gig as coach.

I believe he need to stay as coach or bring a veteran coach to keep the team in check (bring stability)or kiss any memorial cup hopes

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbilly View Post
Khovanov 5 penalties tonight , not so much . Torchitt was able to keep him more discipline since when he took the gig as coach.

I believe he need to stay as coach or bring a veteran coach to keep the team in check or kiss any memorial cup hopes
Pelletier does a decent job keeping him in check as well but he was out with a minor injury of some kind. No excuses as both teams were missing key guys. This was a winnable game but it came down to discipline and the play of Hlavaj in nets for Sherbrooke.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 2:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

And another Wildcats loss on the road, 6-3 to Drummondville.

Even more worrying is the fact that the Sea Dogs beat the Volts 5-2 the previous evening.

The Wildcats ship of state is starting to sink............

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 9:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

And now Jakob Pelletier is out with an injury, apparently bad enough that he will miss the WJHC selection camp.

This last week has been catastrophic for the Wildcats. It's to the point now that I wonder if the Cats should not go "all in" during the trade period. Maybe this isn't the year that they should go for it. Maybe it would be better for them to retrench and consider options for the future.

The stars might not actually be aligned this year..........

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 12:42 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
And now Jakob Pelletier is out with an injury, apparently bad enough that he will miss the WJHC selection camp.

This last week has been catastrophic for the Wildcats. It's to the point now that I wonder if the Cats should not go "all in" during the trade period. Maybe this isn't the year that they should go for it. Maybe it would be better for them to retrench and consider options for the future.

The stars might not actually be aligned this year..........

I wouldn't this whole coach thing is causing a lot more kaos then I though it would. I wouldn't be worrying about the sea dogs right yet yes they did get a new coach but its not just him changing stuff around. look at Toronto they won their first few with a new coach then kinda cooled off some

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 1:21 PM

I think this is still the year... This is the last season for Khovanov, McKenna, Cyr, Rodrigue etc. and there's simply not enough contenders around the league to move these guys at an attempt to possibly go for it again next year. The fans have waited too long to completely dismantle and go for a full rebuild as well. I personally would be cancelling my season tickets if they sold after having to sit through that 2017 second half only to lead to another rebuild a few season later without ever having gone for it.

Sherbrooke projects to be potentially even better next season as they are bringing nearly their entire core back besides the 20 year olds. They may even make adds this deadline that improve them both this year and next in an attempt go for it 2 seasons in a row.

The situation needs to be stabilized behind the bench. Its very possible that there are already deals in place once the deadline opens up to aquire 2-3 impact players. Often these talks start months before the trade period. Standings wise they are still in 2nd in the conference and a few points out of first.

In saying that I still hope they are smart with the trades they make. They must absolutely keep L'Heureux to keep a star player to build the future around. There is no player in the league worth trading him for. He's also another guy who could be a 1st round NHL pick which is huge for the reputation of the franchise.

While the situation is certainly not worth any positive spin..its not time to completely abandon ship just yet.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 1:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, I'm not saying they shouldn't try and strengthen the team, I just mean they shouldn't completely empty the cupboards (especially of high draft picks) for the next three years in some vain attempt to win the Memorial Cup, when it seems that the stars are all beginning to align against us.

Nobody wants an Acadie-Bathurst type situation where the team should be playing in the Maritime Junior Hockey League rather than the QMJHL. Yes, they won the Memorial Cup, but at what cost???

If the coaching situation were stable with the Wildcats, I would have far more confidence in being aggressive, but, to be metaphorical, the captain of the ship is stuck in a dory tied to the stern, the ship is rudderless, and the first mates have the ship running in circles, and all the while the enemy fleet is approaching at full speed.............

This situation can not be allowed to persist.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 12:02 AM

Some huge trades already announced (unofficially) days before the trade period begun

Moncton will be adding Benoit-Olivier Groulx and Jared McIsaac from Halifax. Both are currently at the WJHC Team Canada Selection Camp. McIsaac is a sure bet to make the team and Groulx is likely as well.

Raphael Lavoie is heading to Chicoutimi, as well as Newfoundlander Dawson Mercer. Last night Chicoutimi added top 20 year old Felix Bibeau. Chicoutimi is going to have a pretty terrifying offense after adding 3 1st line talent players.

Moncton adding MacIssac gives them the best top 3 D in the league in MacIsaac, Spence & Andersson.

I'm quite sure Moncton is not yet done as there's plenty of other rumors floating out there including that they were in on Bibeau last night, that would lead you to believe they may upgrade on Christian Huntley.

Expect that these deals wont be announced until after the WJHC.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 4:08 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Wildcats won 4-0 over Cape Breton this evening, breaking a three game losing streak.

It was not a blow out though. Two of those four goals were empty netters at the end of the third period.

The first two periods were quite lacklustre, with neither team appearing that they actually wanted to win the game. Only the second goal by l'Heureux was pretty.

The Eagles came out early in the third, and exerted a lot of pressure on the Wildcats for at least ten minutes. It was here that Lavallee shone and earned his shutout, especially when he made a highlight reel save on a three person breakaway by the Eagles.

There really weren't a lot of positives in this game for the Wildcats, save for earning an important win against a divisional rival.

The biggest positive is that Lavallee played reasonably well, earning a shutout, and this should be a big confidence booster for him as he is now temporarily our #1goaltender as Rodrigue spends time away at the WJHC selection camp. If Rodrigue makes Team Canada, he will be away from the Wildcats until the end of the first week of January.

We play Acadie-Bathurst tomorrow. They are a bit of a nemesis to us, and have been playing better recently. If we are also able to win that game, I might start feeling better about our current circumstances........

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Wildcats won 4-0 over Cape Breton this evening, breaking a three game losing streak.

It was not a blow out though. Two of those four goals were empty netters at the end of the third period.

The first two periods were quite lacklustre, with neither team appearing that they actually wanted to win the game. Only the second goal by l'Heureux was pretty.

The Eagles came out early in the third, and exerted a lot of pressure on the Wildcats for at least ten minutes. It was here that Lavallee shone and earned his shutout, especially when he made a highlight reel save on a three person breakaway by the Eagles.

There really weren't a lot of positives in this game for the Wildcats, save for earning an important win against a divisional rival.

The biggest positive is that Lavallee played reasonably well, earning a shutout, and this should be a big confidence booster for him as he is now temporarily our #1goaltender as Rodrigue spends time away at the WJHC selection camp. If Rodrigue makes Team Canada, he will be away from the Wildcats until the end of the first week of January.

We play Acadie-Bathurst tomorrow. They are a bit of a nemesis to us, and have been playing better recently. If we are also able to win that game, I might start feeling better about our current circumstances........
Have you heard any news about our coaching situation? or about Torchetti?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces