HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 4:59 PM

There needs to be a good break after the playoffs, the hockey is too intense and players are too beat up to just roll right into preseason.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 5:25 PM

It all depends on when this will blow over. If we're in the clear by mid-April or May (which is quite optimistic), they could complete the regular season in order to give a chance to those on the bubble and warm up those who will make the playoffs. Series could be dropped to best of 5 or best of 3.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 1:58 AM

Just saw on our sports report here in Vancouver that the the Premier league in England is planning to resume play in June, with no spectators. The NHL could certainly do the same.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Just saw on our sports report here in Vancouver that the the Premier league in England is planning to resume play in June, with no spectators. The NHL could certainly do the same.
It would almost certainly mean a delayed start to the 2020 season if they did. I think that's actually the preferable route. A full playoffs this summer, and a shortened season with a December or New Years Eve start.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 2:18 AM

On a positive note, once the NHL season is cancelled it will save the Vancouver Canucks the embarrassment of missing the playoffs for the fifth consecutive season.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
On a positive note, once the NHL season is cancelled it will save the Vancouver Canucks the embarrassment of missing the playoffs for the fifth consecutive season.
C'mon man, your from Winnipeg, what have got against the Canucks? But if we do miss the play-offs (depending on how it all shakes out), it's a pretty strong draft year.

Quote:
It would almost certainly mean a delayed start to the 2020 season if they did. I think that's actually the preferable route. A full playoffs this summer, and a shortened season with a December or New Years Eve start.
Play-offs are about 2 months, so that would leave a month and a half for the sc finalist. Most teams would get much more than that, so I don't see why next season wouldn't start on time. And it's a hell of an opportunity to maybe have the best play-offs ever, with teams being rested and healthy.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 6:01 AM

NHL could possibly do a neutral site play-off tournament, as the NBA is reportedly contemplating.

Quote:
The NHL and NHLPA are beginning to spitball scenarios as to where remaining 2019-20 regular-season/playoff games could be held.

One location that’s been mentioned: North Dakota.

Several sites would be necessary, but Ralph Engelstad Arena in Grand Forks, N.D., makes sense. Host of the 2005 World Junior Championships, the 2016 World Under-18s and the NCAA’s Fighting Hawks, it is an impressive facility that is definitely more suitable than many other available non-NHL options in the United States.

Sports Illustrated’s Chris Mannix reported Friday that the NBA was considering putting all of its playoff games in Las Vegas. The Mirror reported Sunday there is a “tentative agreement” for the Premier League to return in June, with games played behind closed doors.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...eason-resumes/

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 11:54 AM

ND has over 200 cases for fewer than 800,000 people, and few, if any stay at home rules in place that I am aware of. I'm not sure how thrilled I'd be if I were a NHL player told to report there to work before this situation is fully under control.

I mean, the Ralph is a lovely arena and all, but...

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 1:56 PM

Quote:
C'mon man, your from Winnipeg, what have got against the Canucks? But if we do miss the play-offs (depending on how it all shakes out), it's a pretty strong draft year.

Play-offs are about 2 months, so that would leave a month and a half for the sc finalist. Most teams would get much more than that, so I don't see why next season wouldn't start on time. And it's a hell of an opportunity to maybe have the best play-offs ever, with teams being rested and healthy.
The NHLPA would never allow it, and we're quickly approaching another lockout. No way there is an August finish and regular October start.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 1:59 PM

I can get why the NHL is holding off on pulling the plug... I mean, there's no downside to waiting in hopes of a miracle. But I'm sure they know that it's the longest of the long shots at this point.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 11:15 PM

They could do a 10 teams per conference one game playoff, and have a World Junior type of tournament with the remaining 10 teams. Have the play in games one weekend, start the tournament the following weekend and you are done in 3 weeks. I don't think that would be satisfying to NHL hockey fans, who aren't used to "lose and you are done" type of things. But when you look at the World Hockey Championships, The Memorial Cup, World Juniors and Olympics, that type of tournament works for those events.

You could also do a complete league playdown. Top team gets a first round bye since we are talking 31 teams, then the rest play in seeded order, second round is 16 teams, etc. Final 2 standing play a series for the cup. Of course, you get Detroit or Ottawa catch fire and people are pissed at that too lol.

I don't know which is worse, a flawed playoff format and a Cup winner not perceived to be a winner, but at least it's something. Or just calling it quits now, and hope to start the next season on time. For sure, Toronto fans would take a Cup win this way, but no one else will acknowledge it lol

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 11:26 PM

I don't see why we can't do a full or mostly full play-off format in the summer. The NHL has done World Cups and Canada Cups in September before the NHL season, so why can't we have a Stanley Cup tournament in June and July. It should be very do-able since the players are well rested.

There is no way the season will be canceled. Even if they have to play in empty arenas, they will do it. There is still lots of TV revenue to be made.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 12:55 AM

Quote:
I don't see why we can't do a full or mostly full play-off format in the summer. The NHL has done World Cups and Canada Cups in September before the NHL season, so why can't we have a Stanley Cup tournament in June and July. It should be very do-able since the players are well rested.

There is no way the season will be canceled. Even if they have to play in empty arenas, they will do it. There is still lots of TV revenue to be made.
If they do it have it do it as a march madness type of deal as a 2 month playoff run in the middle of the summer will ruin the 2020-2021 season as players will be burnt out by then and ravaged from injuries playing so many games it cheapens the sport.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 2:23 PM

Bettman had some things to say yesterday. Finishing the regular season may not happen, but it sounds like the play offs will happen one way or another.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-not-possible/

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 4:46 PM

Looking more and more like the NHL will hold a play-off tournament at a neutral site. Bill Daly was interviewed by ESPN yesterday. Saskatoon has been mentioned as a possible host.

Quote:
The NHL is listening to offers from venues around North America that are volunteering to host neutral-site playoff games.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly discussed the proposals with ESPN on Friday.

The NHL season, like those of all other major North American sports leagues, was halted in mid-March due to the coronavirus pandemic.

“We do have people putting together the comprehensive laundry list of what we would need from facilities and evaluating some facilities on some level,” Daly told ESPN. “But I can’t tell you we’ve even finished creating a list (of potential sites), much less narrowed it down.”

According to the report, among the sites that could host games, probably without fans in the stands, are Grand Forks, North Dakota; Manchester, New Hampshire; and Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. No neutral site has yet been vetted by the NHL, according to Daly.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-games-deputy/

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 4:56 PM

Colby Cave passed away this morning. Always puts into perspective that even if you're a professional athlete in the best physical shape possible, life is still fragile. Him and his wife just got married as well.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 5:05 PM

https://www.desertsun.com/story/spor...ed/2975701001/

Quote:
Edmonton Oilers forward Colby Cave (age 25) died early Saturday morning after suffering a brain bleed Monday and having to undergo emergency surgery.

A product of North Battleford, Sask., Cave had emergency surgery to remove a colloid cyst that was causing pressure to his brain, according to the Oilers, and was place in a medically-induced coma.
https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...-684cc98aa081/

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 5:41 PM
Community Guy

A promising career ahead and seemingly super nice guy.

RIP

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 2:07 PM

Bettman spoke yesterday. More talk about finishing the season, so it looks like it’s guaranteed to happen. The league could start next season in November in order to make room for this years play offs.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...unch-1.5531138

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 2:55 PM
Community Guy

Interesting... works for me.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada