HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 4:48 PM
New Brunswick booster!

I'm a member of Urban Toronto and nothing has stopped construction of towers there. So Fredericton should be fine.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
I'm a member of Urban Toronto and nothing has stopped construction of towers there. So Fredericton should be fine.
Hope your right. As it stands now you can't even apply for a building permit with the CoF. No permit = no build unless this is relaxed over the next few weeks or couple of months. At this point, I don't see how the building season won't be impacted. I hope I'm wrong

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
I think one of the big areas the city needs to look at is around the University. These developments will help there; but with how big the city is growing and how big the university is, there should not be a single family home left within a few blocks around the campus. They should be all duplexes and apartment blocks to help with student and university housing in general. Along with more services (shops and others) to serve the campus.

At the moment, UNB feels a bit like when I was at Waterloo in the 2000's, if a bit smaller. But when I remember the UW campus then and compare to now, it's a huge difference. UNB should be moving along a similar route; with retail services for the campus, maybe an industrial park for campus startups, and apartment blocks and towers for housing.
One thing to keep in mind: With predicted demographics there is a good chance of a decrease in enrollment at the universities in the coming years.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzel_27 View Post
One thing to keep in mind: With predicted demographics there is a good chance of a decrease in enrollment at the universities in the coming years.
From what I understand, UNB is already way over capacity as is.

Looking at the bigger picture, as far as city areas prime for development, I'd dare say Campus Hill/Regent Street Hill are possibly the 3rd biggest priority to focus on (after NBEx and Train Yards).

* By being mostly SFH's, it is majorly under utilized for what it could potentially hold
* For the most part, it is safely above the flood plains so development should be safe there from climate change concerns.
* It doesn't have much (if any) in the way of historically significant developments that could block new works; NIMBYism would be a concern, but they'd have less ammo at least.
* With 3 campuses on site, it's probably one of the safest bets for development support; while demographics may start cutting back on enrollement, the numbers should still support the growth/densification.
* Adding more university support services (incubator industrial offices, commercial minimalls) would make the area more campus focused while also getting more value for the city as well.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
In fact, the grass lot directly in front of the Currie Centre downhill doors is there because the pool would have gone there if the University was the one building it. If the city and UNB didn't hate each other so much it'd be going there.
Not sure that's true. IIRC, UNB was looking to dictate covenants (i.e. red brick exterior etc.) which were rumored to add ~30% to build cost compared to other locations where the city already owns the land and can build cheaper. UNB also did not want to contribute to cost (other than provide land) and not contribute to operational costs of the new facility. That's a crappy deal for taxpayers.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzel_27 View Post
Not sure that's true. IIRC, UNB was looking to dictate covenants (i.e. red brick exterior etc.) which were rumored to add ~30% to build cost compared to other locations where the city already owns the land and can build cheaper. UNB also did not want to contribute to cost (other than provide land) and not contribute to operational costs of the new facility. That's a crappy deal for taxpayers.
I definitely editorialized that part. It's undeniably true that they've been terrible with working together in the past.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 4:44 PM

Quote:
From what I understand, UNB is already way over capacity as is.

Looking at the bigger picture, as far as city areas prime for development, I'd dare say Campus Hill/Regent Street Hill are possibly the 3rd biggest priority to focus on (after NBEx and Train Yards).

* By being mostly SFH's, it is majorly under utilized for what it could potentially hold
* For the most part, it is safely above the flood plains so development should be safe there from climate change concerns.
* It doesn't have much (if any) in the way of historically significant developments that could block new works; NIMBYism would be a concern, but they'd have less ammo at least.
* With 3 campuses on site, it's probably one of the safest bets for development support; while demographics may start cutting back on enrollement, the numbers should still support the growth/densification.
* Adding more university support services (incubator industrial offices, commercial minimalls) would make the area more campus focused while also getting more value for the city as well.
I really hope that when the NB Ex land gets developed that we see something significant built on the site. There really should be high rise, and not low rise structures. The market is there for residential, and having more people living downtown is good for the businesses in the area. The city wants densification in the core, so an up-scale mixed use development on the EX grounds would be ideal.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 12:58 PM

From the CCD Canada page

LOADED PIEROGI, FREDERICTON

CCD Ref. Number : NB159403-20-02

Stage : 3-Planning or drawing

Published : March 4, 2020

Starting Date (estimated) : Not available

Size : Minor ($415,000)

Work type : New construction

Sector : Private

Category : 2-Commercial

Subcategories : 2G-Catering

Disciplines : ARCH, ELEC, EQUI, HVAC, MEC-B, STRUC, OTHER*

FREDERICTON (NB)
(Fredericton - Oromocto)

Description :
NEW RESTAURANT -
Located in Fredericton, this project (Loaded Pierogi*) estimated at $415 000 is proposed for construction, further development pending site selection, franchisee selection and approvals. Works concern construction of a new restaurant. Drawings should include all the information required to prepare a detailed estimate and eventually build the project.

- Initiator: INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO SUBSCRIBERS

https://www.ccdcanada.com/projects/?...a-45dfb1e65fcb

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
From the CCD Canada page

LOADED PIEROGI, FREDERICTON

CCD Ref. Number : NB159403-20-02

Stage : 3-Planning or drawing

Published : March 4, 2020

Starting Date (estimated) : Not available

Size : Minor ($415,000)

Work type : New construction

Sector : Private

Category : 2-Commercial

Subcategories : 2G-Catering

Disciplines : ARCH, ELEC, EQUI, HVAC, MEC-B, STRUC, OTHER*

FREDERICTON (NB)
(Fredericton - Oromocto)

Description :
NEW RESTAURANT -
Located in Fredericton, this project (Loaded Pierogi*) estimated at $415 000 is proposed for construction, further development pending site selection, franchisee selection and approvals. Works concern construction of a new restaurant. Drawings should include all the information required to prepare a detailed estimate and eventually build the project.

- Initiator: INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO SUBSCRIBERS

https://www.ccdcanada.com/projects/?...a-45dfb1e65fcb

Cool. They also currently have franchise opportunities available for Saint John and Moncton.
So it looks like they want to open locations in all three of the big cities here in NB. (Similar to what Mezza Lebanese Kitchen is doing).

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
Cool. They also currently have franchise opportunities available for Saint John and Moncton.
So it looks like they want to open locations in all three of the big cities here in NB. (Similar to what Mezza Lebanese Kitchen is doing).
This was dated March 4 before the COVID crisis fully hit. I would bet that these plans will be on hold for a while if not shelved.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 11:47 PM
New Brunswick booster!

From the Fredericton Twitter page:

"The City of Fredericton will continue to provide community planning, heritage, and building inspection services to the maximum extent possible during the COVID-19 business interruption electronically and by telephone."

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 2:46 PM

The April PAC agenda has an item for two multiunit buildings on the 200 block of Regent Street with a total of 7 units replacing the older houses on those lots. http://www.fredericton.ca/sites/defa...0pacagenda.pdf

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 5:23 PM

Look like a nice pair of additions to the area. They're across the street from that small apartment building that's being built (the one that burned down last year while under construction). The existing buildings are two stories with peak roofs, so this adds a little more height without overwhelming the other buildings.

I might've liked to see them maybe push to 4 stories and/or combine them together; but as is, it should be a nice addition.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 5:33 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Look like a nice pair of additions to the area. They're across the street from that small apartment building that's being built (the one that burned down last year while under construction). The existing buildings are two stories with peak roofs, so this adds a little more height without overwhelming the other buildings.

I might've liked to see them maybe push to 4 stories and/or combine them together; but as is, it should be a nice addition.
It is a nice improvement for these lots. My first thought was also the idea of combining the two. They could have created more units. But as is, it's a good little project for Regent Street. With that location, these units should be snapped up quickly.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 10:16 PM

There’s still the empty corner lot on Charlotte and Regent. Great place for a 4 storey modern apartment that could add to the streetscape. I’m surprised nobody has done anything with that yet.
Side note, I hope everybody is staying safe during all this.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin6463 View Post
There’s still the empty corner lot on Charlotte and Regent. Great place for a 4 storey modern apartment that could add to the streetscape. I’m surprised nobody has done anything with that yet.
Side note, I hope everybody is staying safe during all this.
Yep, another great location. 4 story apartment, as long as it's not one of those vinyl clad eyesores. Something upscale hopefully. Vacancy rates being so low, units in this location would rent quickly.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 11:34 PM

https://huddle.today/fredericton-dev...tment-project/

Can't blame developers for getting a bit trigger-shy with all of this going on. I suspect every major project is in some sort of limbo at the moment, hopefully the fear pass with the virus, both quickly.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 12:13 AM

Sad to hear he is considering delaying. That is the project next to Chess Piece.

I do wonder if he may be thinking a bit bigger now. The Police building next to it needs extensive renovations, and teh city is considering what to do with it. If it becomes available and can be combined with the existing lot, it could be a bigger more worthwhile project.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Sad to hear he is considering delaying. That is the project next to Chess Piece.

I do wonder if he may be thinking a bit bigger now. The Police building next to it needs extensive renovations, and teh city is considering what to do with it. If it becomes available and can be combined with the existing lot, it could be a bigger more worthwhile project.
No...This is the proposed build across from the Tannery. Chess Piece and the Police Station are on Queen. The proposed building for that space on Queen is a larger building.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
No...This is the proposed build across from the Tannery. Chess Piece and the Police Station are on Queen. The proposed building for that space on Queen is a larger building.
Bah my bad. Dunno why I keep mixing King and Queen up.

Anyways, it was a good design, but it was also the smallest of the downtown projects and the most recent announced, so hopefully the other ones are still in good shape to go.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces