HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 7:39 PM

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkconno View Post
Uhg. Click bait for the anti-development crowd. Here's the headline:

"These two Rainey Street bars could be torn down to make way for new 53-story tower"

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 6:22 AM

The site plan was withdrawn and resubmitted. They may be trying to address two problems with the original proposal:

1. Difficulty in getting approval with the bars on Rainey being replaced - mainly the bungalow.

2. They would not get financing with their hotel component.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...pertyrsn=92528

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 5:58 PM

The elevations were added to the re-submitted site plan. The project is still 606'. The amount of hotel rooms is listed as 294. A previous source had 424 hotel rooms. So that may be the reason for withdrawing the first site plan. They still have to go to City Council for a zoning change because the height is more than what was allowed by the density bonus approved by the Design Commission.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...pertyrsn=92528

EDIT: Also, there was no decision made on the Bungalow Demo at the April HLC meeting. So they still need that approved.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 9:08 PM
Old West Austin

Are we sure this is 52 floors? Site plan notes say 48 floors.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestAustinite View Post
Are we sure this is 52 floors? Site plan notes say 48 floors.
The site plan Aps have always said 48, both this one and the one that was withdrawn. The elevations including the ones I referred to have always showed 53 (52 occupied) floors.

Last edited by The ATX; May 5, 2020 at 11:57 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post

EDIT: Also, there was no decision made on the Bungalow Demo at the April HLC meeting. So they still need that approved.
If HLC doesn’t approve it, does it go before the Council for approval? What are the chances there?

Also, doesn’t HLC have strict guidance on what is historic?

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
If HLC doesn’t approve it, does it go before the Council for approval? What are the chances there?

Also, doesn’t HLC have strict guidance on what is historic?
Any developer can always go to the City Council as a last resort for a final resolution about anything as far as I can tell.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 12:36 AM

The HLC voted to postpone the Demo permit vote until the June meeting. The consensus seemed to be that they were willingly just postponing the inevitable because they can't stop it. How stupid. But with the Pandemic Recession underway, it's not a significant factor in this project moving forward.

Last edited by The ATX; May 19, 2020 at 12:46 AM.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 1:24 AM

Is there anything more Austin than a council delaying the inevitable?

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 1:42 AM
クラブトクヨ

Like what is the point? Just to be an ass? I feel like that kind of stuff should be illegal but I guess no way to to make it.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 2:06 AM
Love Austin

Remember folks, elect unreasonable/NIMBY-types, get unreasonable/NIMBY-curious commissioners. I say this wo watching the meeting but I’ve seen a lot of nonsense come from the ‘no change’ers.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 2:35 AM

There was sentiment expressed by a couple commissioners that if they at least delayed authorization of the Demo permit they would be sending out a message that they wouldn't just rubber stamp such projects in the future. At least one commissioner was against the delay because the Demo was going to happen with or without a delay.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 6:55 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I'm in the minority in this but whatever happened to them incorporating the house into the project along with the container bar? One by one the original houses on Rainey street are being picked off. The developers should be ashamed of themselves for basically lying that they would preserve the house. It would have made the tower more unique and would pay homage to Rainey's past. I was all for this tower and was excited about what they were planning but not so much anymore. Sorry but I had to vent over this but honestly, the developers can just deal with waiting.

Last edited by Jdawgboy; May 19, 2020 at 7:07 AM.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I'm in the minority in this but whatever happened to them incorporating the house into the project along with the container bar? One by one the original houses on Rainey street are being picked off. The developers should be ashamed of themselves for basically lying that they would preserve the house. It would have made the tower more unique and would pay homage to Rainey's past. I was all for this tower and was excited about what they were planning but not so much anymore. Sorry but I had to vent over this but honestly, the developers can just deal with waiting.
I believe the HLC killed the Bungalow in the Bar concept the first time around. So Demo became the next option.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 12:39 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I believe the HLC killed the Bungalow in the Bar concept the first time around. So Demo became the next option.
Well shame on the Historical Landmark Commission then!!!

Dammit I need to aim my fury at someone if it's not the developers fault lol.

I don't understand why I mean it's honestly the most interesting way to save an original structure and would have looked so neat. Well so be it. Funny that ultimately the one entity that they were trying to appease ends up scrapping the idea..

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 4:43 PM
Love Austin

Facebook #atxurbanists

Copied from a Facebook post on #ATXurbanists https://www.facebook.com/groups/atxurbanists/

From Whispers in today's Monitor: [Just keep thinking about how in one hand we continue to talk about the importance of affordability & Affordability, and the benefits to the environment by compact and connected development. In the other hand--KEEP DEVELOPMENT DIFFICULT, UNPREDICTABLE AND INEFFICIENT AS POSSIBLE NO MATTER WHAT! This development replaces two bars that city staff is clear on--"They are not recommended for historic designation"--with a residential building with ~300 homes including some income restricted units, walking distance from our biggest job center. smh.]

Commission postpones Rainey Street demolition
The Historic Landmark Commission found itself stuck between a rock and a hard place at its meeting on May 18. Although commissioners and staff did not find that the Bungalow and Container Bar at 90-92 Rainey St. met the threshold required for historic designation, they were unwilling to approve a demolition permit to level the buildings and replace them with a 53-floor high-rise.

“I would prefer to delay it rather than approve it. I have a real problem approving the removal of a contributing building in one of our oldest and earliest National Register districts,” Commissioner Terri Myers said. Although it took two tries to approve a postponement of the case until the commission’s June meeting, the commission eventually voted 6-1 to postpone.

Commissioner Witt Featherston voted in opposition. “I just don’t support delay for the sake of delay,” he said. “It all just seems sort of superficial at this point.”

The commission is able to delay the case for 180 days before making a decision. That clock runs out on July 27.

While the commission did not pursue opening a case for historic designation of the building, Commissioner Ben Heimsath called the vote to postpone a “symbolic gesture.” Myers said that in this case, symbolism was the most effective tool in the commission’s toolbox. “I don’t think it’s meaningless. I think it means something that we don’t roll over and play dead,” she said

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 4:53 PM
Member since 2001

Hummmmm...

To delay simply for the sake of delaying?!? Ridiculous. Obviously, we know these commissioners think far too highly of themselves. However, I think someone on the development team really ticked-off some or most members of the HLC.

Targeted animosity?!? What is happening in this specific case really seems like the HLC may be trying to flex its muscles against this specific group of developers. OR, this incompetent group of commissioners are so upset with themselves because they couldn't find any legal reason to save other buildings from development - that they are taking it out on the development team of this project.

Don't know...just a thought.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 7:12 PM
Meh

This is on the Historic Landmark Commission meeting agenda for July 27. It had been postponed from the June 22 meeting.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=343256

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Hummmmm...

To delay simply for the sake of delaying?!? Ridiculous. Obviously, we know these commissioners think far too highly of themselves. However, I think someone on the development team really ticked-off some or most members of the HLC.

Targeted animosity?!? What is happening in this specific case really seems like the HLC may be trying to flex its muscles against this specific group of developers. OR, this incompetent group of commissioners are so upset with themselves because they couldn't find any legal reason to save other buildings from development - that they are taking it out on the development team of this project.

Don't know...just a thought.
It is absurd. They have savior complexes and love to make toothless symbolic statements. Yes, it may be personal vendettas and unkind words behind closed doors, but the public may never know. I think they should be reminded occasionally that the neighborhood was behind the rezoning and that numerous concessions were made to get it passed.

I think Ray Davies had HLC-types in mind when writing one of his best songs:

We are the Office Block Persecution Affinity
God save little shops, china cups, and virginity
We are the Skyscraper Condemnation Affiliates
God save Tudor houses, antique tables, and billiards

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin