HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 1:52 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Photo found on FB of the little infill apartment building on Victoria Street.

This is a great infill addition for downtown.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 3:20 AM

I know it’s in French but apparently they are finally starting some work on the building next to dolma food

https://www.acadienouvelle.com/actua...ra-revitalise/

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 11:22 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

There are not many older buildings on St George Street worthy of preservation. This however is one of them, and it enjoys good synergy with Dolma Foods next door. I am very happy to see it being saved.

So, if I read the Acadie Nouvelle article correctly, ground level retail with either office space or apartments on the upper floors? Mixed use works very well in the core.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

There are not many older buildings on St George Street worthy of preservation. This however is one of them, and it enjoys good synergy with Dolma Foods next door. I am very happy to see it being saved.

So, if I read the Acadie Nouvelle article correctly, ground level retail with either office space or apartments on the upper floors? Mixed use works very well in the core.
They're planning offices and apartments on the upper floors, but I'm sure they'll have more success renting out residential apartments only. One interesting piece of information a planned wine cellar in the basement with a wine bar on the first floor. This would be fantastic for St-George. I find that stretch between Bonaccord and Lutz has huge potential. Filling out the currently vacant lots and with the beautiful NDA cathedral nearby, it would make for an amazing neighborhood.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
They're planning offices and apartments on the upper floors, but I'm sure they'll have more success renting out residential apartments only. One interesting piece of information a planned wine cellar in the basement with a wine bar on the first floor. This would be fantastic for St-George. I find that stretch between Bonaccord and Lutz has huge potential. Filling out the currently vacant lots and with the beautiful NDA cathedral nearby, it would make for an amazing neighborhood.
I'm a big fan of projects like this one & the building at King & Main. This had become an eyesore, being vacant for so long. It's a nice looking building that can be a real gem in the neighbourhood. I like their plans, the wine cellar is a great idea. I agree that residential on the upper floors would work best.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 1:13 PM

Story is in today's T&T
Historic Moncton building gets new life as retail, residential space
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdesign View Post
I know it’s in French but apparently they are finally starting some work on the building next to dolma food

https://www.acadienouvelle.com/actua...ra-revitalise/
Some info from the article:
Quote:
City spokesperson Isabelle LeBlanc said in an email, the owner of the building is identified as 655889 NB Ltd. The description of the project includes creating a parking lot, interior and exterior renovations for a commercial/apartment building.

The parking area will be upgraded, the basement will be renovated to create a wine cellar, the main floor will have commercial retail units for a proposed coffee shop, wine tasting bar and a kitchen for cooking classes, said LeBlanc. The upper floors will have office space and residential apartments.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 2:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This building has good bones. I heard the previous developer who started renovating this property got cold feet when he found out about the repairs needed for the foundation. Happily this is being addressed by the new developers. A coffee shop and wine bar would be good ground level tenants, and would complement Dolma Foods next door. Hopefully this will help kickstart the renaissance of central St George Street. The street has slowly been rejuvenating over the last several years. Hopefully this will continue. There is a lot of potential here for this street becoming a hip urban strip.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

This building has good bones. I heard the previous developer who started renovating this property got cold feet when he found out about the repairs needed for the foundation. Happily this is being addressed by the new developers. A coffee shop and wine bar would be good ground level tenants, and would complement Dolma Foods next door. Hopefully this will help kickstart the renaissance of central St George Street. The street has slowly been rejuvenating over the last several years. Hopefully this will continue. There is a lot of potential here for this street becoming a hip urban strip.
I love this project and am glad they are saving this building, I think this block of St. George is going to have a real renaissance in the next decade.

I wish someone would do the same for the old "Graffiti" restaurant building on Main, that could be another gem with the right investment.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo1 View Post
I love this project and am glad they are saving this building, I think this block of St. George is going to have a real renaissance in the next decade.

I wish someone would do the same for the old "Graffiti" restaurant building on Main, that could be another gem with the right investment.
I'm also a big fan of this type of project. The Subway Block would be a real challenge. I saw some people looking at the property last summer when I was walking by. They were doing some measuring along the front. I stopped and asked them what they were planning - "just looking." I'd say the cost of redeveloping it would likely be prohibitive. I'd be OK if it were demolished and something new built in it's place. But there'd probably be a heritage issue with that.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 1:19 PM

Owners of Euston Park is at it again. Opening a pop-up donut shop at 110 St. George St.

Not the greatest of locations IMO.

https://huddle.today/euston-parks-ow...msniGy6_q-XdTE

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 1:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It's a pop-up and they admit they are testing the market. This location has parking too, so I can see why they chose it.

They say they eventually want to turn this into a café. If/when they do, they might choose a trendier location.

The couple starting this business are quite the entrepreneurs. Both Euston Park and Clos are iconic new businesses. This donut shop should be a success. I wish them well

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 1:53 PM

Something I've been saying Moncton has been missing for many years!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 2:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Actually the building under renovation in the photo further up the page above, at the corner of St George & Archibald, next to Dolma Foods would be ideal for such a venture. Maybe this is the intent, to locate a café and donut shop here once renovations are complete.

I could see this happening...……….

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 2:26 PM

Definitely quick walking distance from where I work. I'm onboard.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 5:49 PM

Halo Donuts has signage up! I think they're going to do great. Also, I noticed some activity at the Tide & Boar Brewery site (1355 Main St.). Nice to see some progress there since it seemed to be languishing during COVID. Hopefully it'll be a nice addition to the old west end scene.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 1:17 PM

Halo Donuts signage for anyone who hasn't seen it already.

Photo taken by a friend of a friend.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 1:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks, and welcome to the forums!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 2:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

according to the CBC, the Minister of Education, Dominic Cardy has stated that the government has no intention whatsoever to review the plan to build the new k-8 west end school on this small parcel of land adjacent to BMHS.

I imagine the reason is that the province already owns the land, and this will reduce cost and speed up the process. The appropriateness of this decision otherwise remains debatable, but since the Higgs government now has it's majority, I imagine this is a fait accompli.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 5:19 PM

Monday's Council Meeting Agenda (Oct 5/20)

I noticed on the agenda of Monday's (Oct 5/20) City Council meeting the following is on the Agenda:

7.1 84-86 Highfield Street – Amend By-law Z-1116 - A By-law Relating to Heritage Conservation in
the City of Moncton

84-86, rue Highfield – Modification de l’Arrêté Z-1116 concernant la conservation du patrimoine
dans la ville de Moncton

This must have something to do with the old house with the turret adjacent to the development at the corner of Highfield and Gordon.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer99 View Post
I noticed on the agenda of Monday's (Oct 5/20) City Council meeting the following is on the Agenda:

7.1 84-86 Highfield Street – Amend By-law Z-1116 - A By-law Relating to Heritage Conservation in
the City of Moncton

84-86, rue Highfield – Modification de l’Arrêté Z-1116 concernant la conservation du patrimoine
dans la ville de Moncton

This must have something to do with the old house with the turret adjacent to the development at the corner of Highfield and Gordon.
Do they want to demolish it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces