HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 7:13 PM
1st Ward

I don't the existing warehouse is exactly attractive enough to warrant fighting for its preservation. The red brick warehouse building on the southeast corner of Ashland and 38th certainly is, but the rending makes it appear that it will not be demolished for this project (you can see a red brick building on the far left on the rendering).

Streetview link:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/38...!4d-87.6652352

That said, I am all for preventing more blank white/grey concrete walls that create dead zones along major thoroughfares like Ashland. Either put up a mock facade, murals/some art, or move this project to a different area.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 7:53 PM
Show me the blueprints

Fair question... If that lenghth of wall was a green living wall covered in plantings or covered in Wrigley style ivy would we think of it as being blank?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 8:08 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Fair question... If that lenghth of wall was a green living wall covered in plantings or covered in Wrigley style ivy would we think of it as being blank?
But this is Chicago, half the year it would be blank/dead. From casual observations of past living walls, unless they're being wallscaped (?) the vines don't tend to climb the whole height or fill the whole space. It would be a cool idea to have the living wall concept and a mural underneath is for the winter. Could have a neat effect when only parts are being covered depending on the design.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 4:27 PM

It’s no surprise. When you think of cold storage buildings the last century, they all look awful. Even the current google HQ would’ve been considered an architectural blight in the 1920’s since it was an unadorned brick box. Current buildings are made of thick insulated panels that are extremely efficient. But they’re also really expensive. So if you go with a manufacturer that makes different interlocking products to at least mimic the original facade it will come at a very costly premium. They probably find Ashland to not be worth the extra cost.

My understanding is the city did push for partial preservation. They did their job, but ultimately it’s not mandatory.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 5:20 PM

Don't love it but decent murals would soften the blow quite a bit.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 7:31 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I don't the existing warehouse is exactly attractive enough to warrant fighting for its preservation. The red brick warehouse building on the southeast corner of Ashland and 38th certainly is, but the rending makes it appear that it will not be demolished for this project (you can see a red brick building on the far left on the rendering).

Streetview link:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/38...!4d-87.6652352
There are 3 buildings back to back here:
3801 S Ashland (2 story red brick, former Imperial Campbell Branch)
3813 S Ashland (3 story red brick with tower, former Continental Can Co)
3835 S Ashland (4 story concrete frame).

The cold storage warehouse will take out 3813 and 3835. I think most people would agree that 3813 is an attractive building that is worth saving especially with the distinctive Gothic tower. 3801 is not part of the plan, but is currently vacant.

There's also a 4th building around the corner at 1511 W 38th (former Rockwell-Barnes Co) that is pretty nice. Currently used as a wine cellar by Hart Davis Hart Wine Co.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 8:20 PM

It's kind of too late, unfortunately, they already knocked down other decent warehouse buildings to the north; replaced by the same kind of shit.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 8:34 PM
BANNED

ugly af, sad the south and west sides always gets the shitty industiral stuff. bet this wouldn't fly in Lincoln Park or Lakeview. Mckinley Park deserves better.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 5:52 PM

Has anyone heard from Harry lately? I have not seen any posts or his great pics in a long time. Hope he is ok.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 6:05 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Has anyone heard from Harry lately? I have not seen any posts or his great pics in a long time. Hope he is ok.
I follow him on Flickr and it seems that he just hasn’t been visiting/taking pictures downtown recently. He posted photos last week.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/harryrcarmichael/

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 4:28 PM

Heard from a friend that used to work at 225 west randolph that the owners are not extending any leases and plan to turn the entire building into residential. Havent read anything about it yet anywhere else.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 5:21 PM

^ Wouldn't be surprised. Onni bought the building for $166 million and plan to spend another $150 million on renovations. Since they specialize in residential, this would be the most likely redevelopment plan

Article: https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2022...n-development/

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 5:47 PM

Nice! The building is a little narrower compared to most loop office buildings and relatively open views at the moment so a good candidate for residential. It’s these types office buildings I was most concerned about post COVID that would struggle to keep office tenants

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 6:43 PM

WGN is reporting today that the mayor is looking to bring 1,000 residential units to Lasalle Street, perhaps focused on student housing.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 7:32 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
WGN is reporting today that the mayor is looking to bring 1,000 residential units to Lasalle Street, perhaps focused on student housing.
https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/sites/lasalle-street/home.html

Quote:
The City of Chicago’s LaSalle Street Reimagined initiative is seeking proposals to create a more mixed-use, neighborhood-oriented environment along the LaSalle corridor in the Loop.
The initiative is making City financial resources and other incentives available for the conversion of underutilized office space as residential units, among other goals. Proposed projects must be located on or adjacent to LaSalle generally between Washington Street and Jackson Boulevard and 30% of the proposed housing units must be made available to residents at affordable levels. Private investment projects to repurpose vacant storefronts and other interior spaces will also be considered.

Download the Invitation for Proposals (IFP) | Deadline to submit: 12 p.m. CST, Dec. 23, 2022

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 8:09 PM

Surprised their only giving 3 months for an IFP. This would only be advantages to proposals that are already in the works. Not surprising I guess since election is only a few months away and this would be a boost for Lightfoot

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 9:01 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

great, now please add a full service grocery store to the basement of block 37 :-p.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
great, now please add a full service grocery store to the basement of block 37 :-p.
That'd be nice. I believe 525 S. Wabash is supposed to include a grocery store as well?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 10:28 PM

Not sure I understand how student housing is the play for LaSalle Street...

I've got to think there's room to put a Dom's or something similar in a building like the Clark Adams.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 3:41 AM

As promised, I made a new map for the zoning applications so far this year. It is not every single one of them, but it is the vast majority of them (probably 95%+). Some of them weren't really worthy of putting on here (i.e. new rooftop deck for some 2 unit buildings, some corrections, etc). There's a fair number of applications for ADU.

Have fun..

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...326621094&z=11

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development