HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 5:31 PM
E pluribus unum

Probably because the 405 ends at the 605?

To be fair, I can't tell if that was a joke?

Also...where isn't the 405 busy?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post

It's actually the other way around---the 605 ends at the 405.

Orange County recently started a 405 widening through that stretch, from the 605 to the 73. All OC does is widen its freeways; that county doesn't really invest in mass transit. They are widening that part of the 405 but still keeping it in the right-of-way footprint; they're not going to demolish any houses or businesses, but instead will widen the freeway to the point that they'll get rid of landscaping or whatever. They do have to demolish and rebuild some overpasses, though.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post

Um....there's a bunch of freeways that connect with the 405.
It's kind of strange this intersection, in a quiet residential area, is the busiest one. There's no major employment center nearby.

It's not a question if the 405 is busy, that's a given. Not sure what you are responding to here.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
It's actually the other way around---the 605 ends at the 405.

Orange County recently started a 405 widening through that stretch, from the 605 to the 73. All OC does is widen its freeways; that county doesn't really invest in mass transit. They are widening that part of the 405 but still keeping it in the right-of-way footprint; they're not going to demolish any houses or businesses, but instead will widen the freeway to the point that they'll get rid of landscaping or whatever. They do have to demolish and rebuild some overpasses, though.
I took the 55 to the 405 (worked by JWA) for over a decade. I remember when they added a lane to the 55 and in the end, it was still horrible. I also remember people shooting down the possibility of a central LR line, claiming light rail would "cause blight". Yeah, OC just doesn't get it.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Um....there's a bunch of freeways that connect with the 405.
It's kind of strange this intersection, in a quiet residential area, is the busiest one. There's no major employment center nearby.

It's not a question if the 405 is busy, that's a given. Not sure what you are responding to here.
Well, when you think about it, 3 freeways kind of meet there; the 22 ends/begins just east of the 405/605 interchange, so really I think that should be included all as one interchange, kind of like the East LA interchange, where several freeways meet/share lanes for a bit... so you have people going west on the 22 either continuing north on the 405 or going north on the 605, or people coming off the 605 getting to the 405 south or 22 east, and even southbound 405 drivers wanting to go north on the 605, continuing south on the 405, or getting to the 22 east.

And I wouldn't exactly call that a quiet residential area; one of CSU's biggest campuses, Cal State Long Beach (my alma mater), is near there, and it's a big commuter school. There's also the VA Hospital in that area, as well as people wanting to catch PCH going south. There are also the commercial centers near there, as well as Belmont Shore, Naples, etc. So it's a pretty busy area.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COtoOC View Post
I took the 55 to the 405 (worked by JWA) for over a decade. I remember when they added a lane to the 55 and in the end, it was still horrible. I also remember people shooting down the possibility of a central LR line, claiming light rail would "cause blight". Yeah, OC just doesn't get it.
Yeah, I agree that OC seems to like to deal with transportation in a very outdated way. But I'm not too surprised; OC and San Diego County traditionally have been bastions of Republicanism. But I think it's been slowly changing... but slowly. The Vietnamese community in Westminster seems to all be Republicans; they even fly the flag of South Vietnam during their festivals, a flag of a country that doesn't even exist anymore.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 11:19 PM
E pluribus unum

I'm a moron and got the 405 and 605 mixed up in my head.

Again: I can't stress enough my stupidity and possible dyslexia in my previous statement.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Well, when you think about it, 3 freeways kind of meet there; the 22 ends/begins just east of the 405/605 interchange, so really I think that should be included all as one interchange, kind of like the East LA interchange, where several freeways meet/share lanes for a bit... so you have people going west on the 22 either continuing north on the 405 or going north on the 605, or people coming off the 605 getting to the 405 south or 22 east, and even southbound 405 drivers wanting to go north on the 605, continuing south on the 405, or getting to the 22 east.

And I wouldn't exactly call that a quiet residential area; one of CSU's biggest campuses, Cal State Long Beach (my alma mater), is near there, and it's a big commuter school. There's also the VA Hospital in that area, as well as people wanting to catch PCH going south. There are also the commercial centers near there, as well as Belmont Shore, Naples, etc. So it's a pretty busy area.
Ah. I don't really venture down there, so I'm not to familiar with the area.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 12:19 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

i took this today on the historic highbridge around 2pm.

its a typical traffic day, cross bronx jammed up, major deegan at a crawl northbound, but wide open here southbound, local traffic, construction, mnrr, some boats on the harlem river and pedestrians like me sweatin to the oldies -ha.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 12:47 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i took this today on the historic highbridge around 2pm.

its a typical traffic day, cross bronx jammed up, major deegan at a crawl northbound, but wide open here southbound, local traffic, construction, mnrr, some boats on the harlem river and pedestrians like me sweatin to the oldies -ha.
Ah... your normal day. Everything looks a-okay.

If its not jammed, something is going on, than one should worry.

Its interesting because have you ever noticed that it always seems like the one exit you have to take is always either sealed off or a lane is isolated due to construction? More of a observation of coincidence.

Like if your exit for your destination lands you on "X" street, there's a good chance that "X" street is either closed off or has a detour; just because of luck or the universe playing a bad trick on you. Maybe its just bad luck, but it always seems like for me. Like if I have to take 68th street, somewhere in Queens, on that day, and only on that day, that street will be closed off. Or if I have to get off at some random exit, let's say exit 32, good chance that exit will have some horrific issues near it.

Can never win lol.

I've ran into situations where my final destination is on "X" street, and of course... some construction that day or they closed if off because Con-Ed is working on a manhole. But had I gone yesterday, it would of been open, but yet had I gone yesterday AS AN INTENTION, it would of been closed off... see where I'm coming from. Can never win in NYC traffic. Always some hurdle to tackle. Never point A to point B without some bs.

Its the twilight zone some days.

Honorable mention to double parked trucks. Always double parked on every damn street. And they always seem to stop right in front of you and put their blinkers on.

You can't have a NYC traffic experience without running into 10000+ double parked trucks on your route. If one is driving in Brooklyn, there's a good chance that if your driving behind a truck, IT WILL STOP to double park, and than your forced to go on the left, but no one will let you go, and so your stuck there for 5 minutes.

Not to mention the traffic lights, which have horrific times. Turns green, 5 seconds later red. And you've moved 1 car length ahead in that time! Yay!!!

#struggle

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 12:56 AM

^ cities are bad luck? they say not working together makes bad luck, cars and people just don't work together.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
That freeway pic is bad. However, the reality is it's a 5 lane freeway with 2 HOV -- toll/hot lanes. The lanes on the far right and far left aren't apart of the freeway, but rather frontage roads.

https://goo.gl/maps/LwR2M45wxRufkDzx7
The Google Maps photo isn't from the new portion of the Katy Freeway. I could have sworn that several miles west of there, there were more than five main lanes on each side (I thought I counted more last time I was there), but haven't been able to verify yet. Did you hunt for the widest portions, or maybe have a reference? I'm pretty sure the number of lanes varies by segment. I'm not saying you're wrong, just wanting to see some documentation if you have something. Really appreciate it.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Doesn’t matter. Too many lanes, too much concrete, too little transit or proper urban planning. Aesthetically and otherwise, it’s disgusting.
For freeway/tollway enthusiasts, I-10 west of 610 is aesthetically pleasing and gets a lot of attention, largely because of the multilevel interchanges and Energy Corridor talls along the way. Also, it still looks new and clean, unlike most of the nation's interstates, which are full of potholes, serious rough spots, and general dilapidated appearance. This lengthy portion of I-10 in west Houston looked as bad as most interstates until it was completely rebuilt about a decade ago. I love it, and make a point to drive it every time I'm there, although I make sure it's not during peak traffic times. I can do that, since I'm no longer on anyone else's schedule.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post

If the bus is too crowded so I can't bust out my laptop, but can still read/write emails on my phone. Or post here. I also call into telecons from the bus routinely.
In my opinion, that is rude. There's a guy who I sometimes see on the bus and he's always talking loudly on his work calls as if the whole bus was his office. I cannot stand him.

I much prefer taking transit to and from work. I can read, nap, listen to music (through headphones), people watch...whatever. But driving also has its perks. You can listen to music as loud as you want and sing along. Talking on the phone, be it for a personal call or a 'telecon' is another thing more appropriate for driving, imo.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 8:05 PM
SD/OC

Quote:
Yeah, I agree that OC seems to like to deal with transportation in a very outdated way. But I'm not too surprised; OC and San Diego County traditionally have been bastions of Republicanism. But I think it's been slowly changing... but slowly. The Vietnamese community in Westminster seems to all be Republicans; they even fly the flag of South Vietnam during their festivals, a flag of a country that doesn't even exist anymore.
San Diego was one of the 1st cities in the US to build light rail despite heavy investment in freeways. Your characterization of Orange County is more accurate than of SD. In fact, SD had more light rail than did LA up until fairly recently.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 9:06 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubu View Post
^ cities are bad luck? they say not working together makes bad luck, cars and people just don't work together.
They really don't go well toghether. Cities and cars. Or should I say dense cities and cars in which in "X" dense city, the roadways can't keep up.

Here is google traffic as of 5:00 pm today. Look at all the accidents. And these are just the major routes.

If you zoom in further, its just nothing but red. There was a crane collapse on the FDR, hence why its a disaster today, but normally its red, and not deep red... on normal days. That BQE and Belt Parkway is cancerous, likewise with the Cross-Bronx. Every single day, its like this. And the shit starts after 2 pm getting real bad.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 9:35 PM

that would be a very nice city to walk around, compared to most cities.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 9:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^

Some of us do rely on a vehicle for work purposes. Likewise for truckers or for "X" reason. "X" = a ton of different reasons.

Traffic costs billions, literally billions in lost revenue. I know in an ideal world, walk-ability would be excellent, but the car or truck is still an important staple in the economy and daily lives of people. Yes...even in places with good transit or walk friendly land.

Traffic is a major issue, and one I think more cities should aim to curtail or alleviate. Speaking in general here. I know on SSP, a lot of folks wan't everyone to walk or bike everywhere, but we have to think reality.

I can tell you that in my region, the roads are jammed. Even in NJ. Certain stretches need expansions or overhauls. And its only getting worse as time goes by.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
^^^

Some of us do rely on a vehicle for work purposes. Likewise for truckers or for "X" reason.

Traffic costs billions, literally billions in lost revenue. I know in an ideal world, walk-ability would be excellent, but the car or truck is still an important staple in the economy and daily lives of people. Yes...even in places with good transit or walk friendly land.

Traffic is a major issue, and one I think more cities should aim to curtail or alleviate. Speaking in general here. I know on SSP, a lot of folks wan't everyone to walk or bike everywhere, but we have to think reality.

I can tell you that in my region, the roads are jammed. Even in NJ. Certain stretches need expansions or overhauls. And its only getting worse as time goes by.
As soon as the road is widened more people would start driving instead of mass traffic, and you'd still be stuck in traffic.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 10:03 PM

to make up for losing billions you would have to build a whole new city. this is the most efficient one.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=278

we are in the smart city faze right now and we don't have any new technology to advance us. it will be interesting to see what happens in the future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions