HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 12:52 PM

One of my Canada fantasies is for Lethbridge-Calgary-Red Deer-Edmonton-Fort McMurray to form a large urban corridor with 10 million people and HSR connecting all five cities (along with a QC-Windsor HSR of course). It would help balance out Canada by giving us two large urban corridors for the population to centre on instead of just one. That's probably a very long way off, but it's definitely moving in that direction (although it likely won't get anywhere near 10 million in my lifetime, and I'm only in my twenties....)

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Thanks for these shots lately TriWolf. I have searched the Google-verse for ages trying to find decent Red Deer shots. I even tried taking some myself (to no avail) so your contribution here is greatly appreciated. It is great to see both Kingston and Red Deer finally getting some love here.

My pleasure! I will definitely continue to shine a bit of a spotlight on this little city in the future!

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 6:33 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
One of my Canada fantasies is for Lethbridge-Calgary-Red Deer-Edmonton-Fort McMurray to form a large urban corridor with 10 million people and HSR connecting all five cities (along with a QC-Windsor HSR of course). It would help balance out Canada by giving us two large urban corridors for the population to centre on instead of just one. That's probably a very long way off, but it's definitely moving in that direction (although it likely won't get anywhere near 10 million in my lifetime, and I'm only in my twenties....)
I agree! That would be sweet. Sort of a balance, also helped out by the fact that SW BC is also in Western Canada too, helping to further balance. I don't think we'll see 10 million in Alberta in our lives, if ever. However, 6.5 million province-wide, with 6 million in that corridor, is 100% possible by the time you and I are in our 40s. 10 million people on the prairies in total is what I hope for in my lifetime, with 16 million in the west.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 7:02 PM

Yeah, 10 million is probably quite a few decades off, however, 6-7 million in the next 30-50 years is probably not too unlikely. That is, as long as Alberta is still able to hold it's own economically when oil demand starts to diminish. Hopefully by then the Albertan economy will have diversified.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 7:17 PM

By then Ontario could probably be around 20-25 million and Canada around 55-60 million.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 7:25 PM

Yeah, 25,000,000 is probably likely for Ontario in 50 years.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 7:28 PM
Website Manager

GTC

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 7:29 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
By then Ontario could probably be around 20-25 million and Canada around 55-60 million.
The lower end of your estimations are actually what are forecast for the timeframe around 2050. So Alberta at 7 million, Ontario at 20 million, and Canada at around 50 million.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 1:09 AM

Quote:
The lower end of your estimations are actually what are forecast for the timeframe around 2050. So Alberta at 7 million, Ontario at 20 million, and Canada at around 50 million.
If Ontario is at 20 million, then the GTA would be at like 12 million with Greater Golden Horseshoe at something like 15 million I can barely even picture that....

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 3:36 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
How on Earth do you think Brantford could compare?
Maybe that angle's just really unflattering for Red Deer, but it looks like it has like 3-4 highrises tops and a few midrises in the skyline. Brantford's downtown has like 2-3 highrises and a few midrises. I'm not saying Brantford beats Red Deer, just that it's comparable. (I am a bit biased to residential skylines over commercial ones though. )

Quote:
Thunder Bay has been over 100 000 for nearly half a century. Red Deer has been for less than 6 months... so yeah, they're doing pretty well.
Thunder Bay also has two downtowns to split the density between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Kingston was a city long before white men ever came anywhere near what is now Red Deer. It better be beating the pants off them!
Anthony Henday explored the Red Deer area in the 1750s. The very basic French fort at Kingston was completely destroyed around the same time. So it definitely wasn't a city.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Anthony Henday explored the Red Deer area in the 1750s. The very basic French fort at Kingston was completely destroyed around the same time. So it definitely wasn't a city.
1750?? Woah I was severely off in my estimates of when Europeans got to Alberta. You learn something new every day, I guess.

Well, in any case, the age argument still stands. Kingston's founding date is a difficult one to pinpoint because of the large number of times it was destroyed & repopulated during the New France era. The current settlement was founded in 1787, the first European settlement was in 1683. So our founding date is at least a century before Red Deer. All the more impressive for Red Deer, and disappointing for Kingston. Despite our long history we really haven't done much with our centuries...

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 11:07 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
GTC

Wow. I really had a strong, positive reaction to this one. I love this!

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 12:47 PM

Indeed. Nice picture of Vic !

-----

From LaPresse this morning.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/act...-ne-plante.php

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Wow. I really had a strong, positive reaction to this one. I love this!
I agree. It's nice to see the urban side of Victoria... after seeing so many Empress/Legislature shots over the years, this scene is a bit jarring but in a good way.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 2:53 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriWolf View Post
Just remembered that I have this angle. Probably shows more of the city's high-rises and mid-rises.

This picture wasn't showing up for me yesterday. It's much more flattering of an angle. A very nice showing for 100k.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 9:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
is 100% possible by the time you and I are in our 40s.
as in "will happen, no matter what".

Who can project anything regarding population in the future with 100% certainty? I think you may need to brush up on your knowledge of statistics.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 9:11 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
as in "will happen, no matter what".

Who can project anything regarding population in the future with 100% certainty? I think you may need to brush up on your knowledge of statistics.
"is 100% possible" not " is 100% certainty"... as that is what is currently forecasted (6.5 million in Alberta by the mid 2040s). There is no such thing as a certainty in population projections, and I'm obviously not stupid enough to think there is. I was wrong though, we won't be in our 40s by that time, we'll be in our 50s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriWolf View Post
Just remembered that I have this angle. Probably shows more of the city's high-rises and mid-rises.

This is an excellent angle. My favorite angle of Executive Place is from the park in front of city Hall though!

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 1:23 PM
The Vomit Bag.

It will never end. Of that, I am 100% certain. Woot.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 2:22 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
"is 100% possible" not " is 100% certainty"... as that is what is currently forecasted (6.5 million in Alberta by the mid 2040s). There is no such thing as a certainty in population projections, and I'm obviously not stupid enough to think there is. I was wrong though, we won't be in our 40s by that time, we'll be in our 50s.
Something can't be 50% possible. Possibility is a binary. It either is possible or isn't. I fear you might be picking up Caltrane's habit of buzzwording.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 2:48 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada