HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 5:05 PM

Looks like another possible DT office tower conversion to residential.

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...dential-market

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Looks like another possible DT office tower conversion to residential.

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...dential-market
Oh that's awesome! I'm not sure how long a rezoning would take, but hopefully they're able to get started on it soon after that. From the article, it sounds like they want to move on it quickly. I wonder if that will also entice the new owner of the former library next door to do something as well? From what I remember, the Mission sold it to a private developer about a year or so ago. In any case, definitely good to see some vacant buildings get reactivated!

Also, another small update on the Hive. Looks like some signage is going up, as well as the steel framing. Looks like it's finally going vertical!!

Link to Hive post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ1BZ5KL...d=xahiz8l6z8pw

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmateurPlanner View Post
Oh that's awesome! I'm not sure how long a rezoning would take, but hopefully they're able to get started on it soon after that. From the article, it sounds like they want to move on it quickly. I wonder if that will also entice the new owner of the former library next door to do something as well? From what I remember, the Mission sold it to a private developer about a year or so ago. In any case, definitely good to see some vacant buildings get reactivated!

Also, another small update on the Hive. Looks like some signage is going up, as well as the steel framing. Looks like it's finally going vertical!!

Link to Hive post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ1BZ5KL...d=xahiz8l6z8pw
Yep, I walked by the Hive today and saw the new signage, looks great and can’t wait to see it completed!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Yep, I walked by the Hive today and saw the new signage, looks great and can’t wait to see it completed!
Same here! Really excited to see the first big announcement project completed!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 3:23 PM

Not a "sexy" proposal by any means, but there was a zoning amendment that was approved to add residential to the second storey of 3850 Dougall Ave. Based on what the building owner said, plans will eventually be to convert the upper floor to residential units and rent them out (I believe they said roughly 10 units). I can try to update this once the meeting minutes are posted for the Development and Heritage Standing Committee. I wouldn't be surprised to see more of these zoning amendments happen to vacant above-ground commercial units in the future as well.

Location of building (southeast corner of Dougall and Cabana): https://goo.gl/maps/5svwD8n53YRmdjaH6

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 8:46 PM

This is great for Windsor. I think you will see more of these types of conversions especially in mid-size cities as vacancies rise due to remote working.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
This is great for Windsor. I think you will see more of these types of conversions especially in mid-size cities as vacancies rise due to remote working.
Agreed. It's also good for the commercial units that are below since they'll benefit from having potential customers within walking distance, and it's good for the residential units above too since they're also within walking distance to more amenities (especially in the case that I mentioned).

While these aren't large proposals, I think these types of incremental improvements are just as important. I agree as well that as remote working increases I can see these popping up in other small and mid-size cities (which I'm sure has already started happening). It definitely helps having amenities within walking distance, especially when working remotely

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 8:35 PM

Walked by the Graffiti site a few days ago and noticed that the existing building on the corner was already being worked on, with all new windows being put in, and the upper interior being subdivided with new walls going in.

Just happy to see some work being done, regardless of the opposition to the new builds going in at the back of the property.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Walked by the Graffiti site a few days ago and noticed that the existing building on the corner was already being worked on, with all new windows being put in, and the upper interior being subdivided with new walls going in.

Just happy to see some work being done, regardless of the opposition to the new builds going in at the back of the property.
That's amazing to hear! I'm happy as well. I was worried that the project would stall with the NIMBYism, but glad to see progress is being made

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 1:59 PM

Not sure if anyone remembers the proposal at 3129 Lauzon Rd (the one that had some NIMBYs who said that they like the "county feel" in their current neighbourhood and didn't want to add any density). Well, I found a small piece on Real Estate section of the site linked below, and it mentions that there will be four 3-storey buildings with parking in the middle, totaling 96 units. From the small article, it mentions that the total height of 20 meters is being shortened to 18 meters to fit in more with the area. The matter will be going to council.

Hopefully some more news from another source will come out with some additional details. I'm not sure if this current layout is before or after meeting with the residents?

Edit: did a quick search and this article from December 2020 mentions that council approved the plan, with a max height of 12 meters (I believe there was a typo in the original linked article). It still needs to go for final approval, but it appears that council pushed through the NIMBY opposition! No other details about timeline were given.

Link to original article: http://www.windsorontarionews.com/wi...al-estate.html3

Link to new article: https://www.iheartradio.ca/am800/new...ion-1.14169266

Last edited by AmateurPlanner; Jan 19, 2021 at 2:02 PM. Reason: added better article source

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Not sure if anyone remembers the proposal at 3129 Lauzon Rd (the one that had some NIMBYs who said that they like the "county feel" in their current neighbourhood and didn't want to add any density). Well, I found a small piece on Real Estate section of the site linked below, and it mentions that there will be four 3-storey buildings with parking in the middle, totaling 96 units. From the small article, it mentions that the total height of 20 meters is being shortened to 18 meters to fit in more with the area. The matter will be going to council.

Hopefully some more news from another source will come out with some additional details. I'm not sure if this current layout is before or after meeting with the residents?

Edit: did a quick search and this article from December 2020 mentions that council approved the plan, with a max height of 12 meters (I believe there was a typo in the original linked article). It still needs to go for final approval, but it appears that council pushed through the NIMBY opposition! No other details about timeline were given.

Link to original article: http://www.windsorontarionews.com/wi...al-estate.html3

Link to new article: https://www.iheartradio.ca/am800/new...ion-1.14169266
Well that’s a bit confusing, but it looks like the 12 metres is the actual height, not sure though, lol.
Just happy that it’s going through!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Well that’s a bit confusing, but it looks like the 12 metres is the actual height, not sure though, lol.
Just happy that it’s going through!
LOL yes, definitely confusing! but agreed, happy it's going through! It looks like AM800 saw me browsing the old article . They just posted a new article today about this development. Council met on Monday and gave final approval on the re-zoning! So it sounds like this one has passed a major hurdle

Link to (new) article: https://www.iheartradio.ca/am800/new...ade-1.14399843

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 12:46 PM

Found some good news about the Graffiti project! Council has voted unanimously to approve the project, which I believe includes the variances that the developers made to accommodate residents. As per the article, the plan involves renovating the 3 heritage properties on site (which we already knew about), as well as a 5-storey new build at the rear of the property (which was the point of contention back in December), which will include 133 student-focused apartments. Some neighbours of this property complained that the current proposal "doesn't fit" on the narrow lot. Tbh, I think that's ridiculous because the property already has 3 buildings on it!

Also, the article talks more about the Lauzon Rd development we mentioned yesterday. They got some quotes from the residents, and some of them are very strongly opposed to it still. For example: "If you did your homework before this meeting, there’s no way you could rationalize in good conscience a need to defile our neighbourhood with this blight". The same resident also called the condo project "despicable". I know we talked about it yesterday, but I was very surprised to hear people call this project "blight" that will "defile" the neighbourhood I mean, the buildings are 3 stories and are geared towards seniors and retirees. Anyways, was just surprised to hear the comments

Link to article: https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...il-in-9-1-vote

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Found some good news about the Graffiti project! Council has voted unanimously to approve the project, which I believe includes the variances that the developers made to accommodate residents. As per the article, the plan involves renovating the 3 heritage properties on site (which we already knew about), as well as a 5-storey new build at the rear of the property (which was the point of contention back in December), which will include 133 student-focused apartments. Some neighbours of this property complained that the current proposal "doesn't fit" on the narrow lot. Tbh, I think that's ridiculous because the property already has 3 buildings on it!

Also, the article talks more about the Lauzon Rd development we mentioned yesterday. They got some quotes from the residents, and some of them are very strongly opposed to it still. For example: "If you did your homework before this meeting, there’s no way you could rationalize in good conscience a need to defile our neighbourhood with this blight". The same resident also called the condo project "despicable". I know we talked about it yesterday, but I was very surprised to hear people call this project "blight" that will "defile" the neighbourhood I mean, the buildings are 3 stories and are geared towards seniors and retirees. Anyways, was just surprised to hear the comments

Link to article: https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...il-in-9-1-vote
Such ridiculous drama and hyperbole from these NIMBY’s, lol.

Just happy to see both developments approved and Ready to go!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Such ridiculous drama and hyperbole from these NIMBY’s, lol.

Just happy to see both developments approved and Ready to go!
I know! Glad council was able to get these both approved!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 3:44 PM

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinxin View Post
Oh man, I hope not I would assume that this means the original developer was just trying to get the re-zoning done to be able to flip the property? I still think it's a worthwhile project with all of the other successful builds going on on Pelissier, but maybe the original developer is just trying to cash out? Hopefully we'll get some more news on this

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 6:48 PM

New post on this site mentions that an 86-house development will be going up in South Windsor, just east of Howard and south of Division (from what I can tell, it's the block between Maguire and Sandison). From the article, it seems that the land is already owned by the developers and is zoned for residential. Council has approved it as well. Per the article, should be completed by the end of this year.

Link to article: http://www.windsorontarionews.com/wi...al-estate.html

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 2:46 AM

Quote:
That's amazing to hear! I'm happy as well. I was worried that the project would stall with the NIMBYism, but glad to see progress is being made
Oddly enough this multi-residential development will be sandwiched between two single family dwelling lots on Lauzon.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
Oddly enough this multi-residential development will be sandwiched between two single family dwelling lots on Lauzon.
That's true. I know the developer made some changes to reduce the height and such so it fits in a bit better with the area. I think the lot should be large enough to provide enough spacing to the current homes adjacent to it, but I suppose we'll have to see.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario