HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 6:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Forest Rangers was a great show. It was one of my favourites back in the 1960s. And, yes, Joe Two Rivers was a great character.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I don't think so, I believe the poster was a little biased. I hardly believe BBC or strangely enough Australian radio is any better than CBC. BBC despite it's long storied history had put out its own share of crap.
The BBC has put out a lot of crap simply due to the number of stuff it puts out - statistically, it's inevitable. While I like some of CBC programming (mostly documentaries and investigative journalism), the BBC has put out a huge amount of upper echelon stuff. I've enjoyed quite the amount of quality BBC series over the last 10 years.

I miss Corner Gas (not CBC, but still)...) - it's one of the few Canadian comedies I enjoyed. I can't be bothered with the animated series. I also miss "Dan for Mayor" - too bad it was canceled. Wasn't amazing, but still pretty good.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Forest Rangers was a great show. It was one of my favourites back in the 1960s. And, yes, Joe Two Rivers was a great character.
Anyone remember Rainbow Country? I used to watch Forest Rangers and Rainbow Country back in the day - although I was more interested in RC.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 7:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I liked the Forest Rangers too as a kid. I can still hum the theme song in my head.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 7:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I love Corner Gas but long before it the Beachcombers was aired in countries around the world and IIRC the King of Kensington was the first to be sold to an American network market. If you haven't heard of these quintessential shows this might not be a debate you want to carry on with
]
I was gonna say...

I mean, can one talk about hockey's greatest players of all time if the names Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Gordie Howe and Maurice Richard draw a blank, and you only know Sidney Crosby and Austen Matthews?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Anyone remember Rainbow Country? I used to watch Forest Rangers and Rainbow Country back in the day - although I was more interested in RC.
What preteen male didn't have a crush on Cathy (Susan Conway) from the Forest Rangers. Rainbow Country was Cathy (now Hannah) as a teenager.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 7:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
...and Quebec is a niche market, no shows there could ever be considered 'most popular in Canada'.

Why not? Aren't the 2, 3, 4 or even 5 million people who have watched Quebec TV shows not Canadians too?

Those Anglo-Canadian shows don't really resonate in Quebec any more than Quebec shows resonate in Maple Creek. (Not to mention that they resonate significantly less in their "home" market than Quebec shows resonate in theirs.)

Looking at another artistic field, globally what most people would intuitively call "Canadian cinema" "of record" or "of note" is essentially made up of Quebec movies in French. It doesn't really matter if you or most people in Maple Creek have never heard of them.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 7:35 PM

Quote:
I miss Corner Gas (not CBC, but still)...) - it's one of the few Canadian comedies I enjoyed. I can't be bothered with the animated series. I also miss "Dan for Mayor" - too bad it was canceled. Wasn't amazing, but still pretty good.
Dan for Mayor was very interesting, because I saw "Hank" as a sort of poor man's Kramer and the featured star of CG was going to be in another show, I thought Dan for Mayor would not be the hit that it started to be.

Where it was interesting was, like Corner Gas it had very likeable, relatable characters. It also had two unlikable characters: the waitress and the female business woman. I thought they should have been dumped and strangely enough that's what happened after the first season. But what I hadn't counted on was that comedy needs tension and those characters really provided it and in all honesty the show suffered from their loss.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 7:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
It is interesting to see the evolution of media in the 21st century.

I'm speaking purely from an English-speaking vantage here, so I'd like alternate perspectives - I'm not sure if this has happened with other cultures too, or if languages have provided an insulation against this.

Prior to the internet streaming era, one's media content was limited to what was locally available. Thus, the rise of major media conglomerates with broadcast networks that effectively controlled the narrative. So, in Canada you had CBC, CTV and the smattering of US networks.

Cable/satellite somewhat upended it. The fragmentation based on genre started, starting with MTV/CNN and the first generation of specialty channels. But, at the end of the day, the narrative was still controlled by major media corporations.

Now, one can fine-tune one's interests to whatever one wants, thanks to the internet. I can watch car shows on Youtube from Australia. Netflix provides access to shows from around the world.

The things that used to be definitive of a linked English Canadian culture are fading - the Tragically Hip, Corner Gas (fine, there is the animated show), etc. etc. - are footnotes. In a world where one can basically have any fine-tuned content they want, the shared experience thing falls apart. The last show I could discuss with someone outside of my age demographic might have been Game of Thrones. I'm also not saying this is unique to English Canadian culture - the 'shared experience' is falling apart in most of the Anglosphere simply due to its vastness - one can have whatever they want.
For all the talk of the language barrier isolating us (and other non-anglophone nations as well), Netflix and other online streaming services are having an impact here in Quebec and in continental Europe as well.

Domestic TV people from most any country in fact will tell you that their ratings are taking a hit because of competition from Netflix et al.

Ratings for even the most popular Quebec TV shows are generally down across the board from what they were for the biggest hits a few years ago.

They're still relatively healthy though. Just last week was the season premiere of District 31 which is a daily half-hour cop show aired on the French CBC. In the weeks leading up to the premiere the chatter and anticipation on my social media, at the office and on the radio was similar to the lead-up to the final season of Game of Thrones. The show draws about 1.5 million viewers daily with occasional peaks around 2 million.

All of this is why taxing Netflix and the others (with the money going to Quebec or Canadian production funding), while a political non-starter in the ROC, is a political issue in Quebec that refuses to die. It's part of what led to the downfall of Mélanie Joly as Heritage Minister (she bungled the file). People in Quebec do want access to Netflix, but they also value having a dynamic homegrown TV and film industry that produces the kind of stuff they like to watch. They don't want Netflix to kill that, whereas in the ROC the general sentiment is that there isn't much left to kill.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 8:08 PM

If we're going to talk about classic Canadian TV comedies how about SCTV and one of my favourite episodes CCCP1 (Three CP One)

We used to use the line from Hey Giorgy "You lose comrade" all the time.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Dan for Mayor was very interesting, because I saw "Hank" as a sort of poor man's Kramer and the featured star of CG was going to be in another show, I thought Dan for Mayor would not be the hit that it started to be.

Where it was interesting was, like Corner Gas it had very likeable, relatable characters. It also had two unlikable characters: the waitress and the female business woman. I thought they should have been dumped and strangely enough that's what happened after the first season. But what I hadn't counted on was that comedy needs tension and those characters really provided it and in all honesty the show suffered from their loss.
Dan for Mayor definitely took a step back in the 2nd season. I think part of the reason was it lost the story lines of Dan actually campaigning for mayor (which had some funny absurdities) since S2 started him off as mayor. I missed the Brianna character (Dan's short-term girlfriend) in S2 - she was cute/hot.

I remember CTV was pushing the ex-Corner Gas members new shows... DFM and Hiccups (starring Brent Butt and Nancy Robertson) - so naturally I watched both. DFM was enjoyable... Hiccups was just plain horrible. The comedy of Hiccups was just too forced and the Nancy Robertson's character was beyond annoying.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Dan for Mayor definitely took a step back in the 2nd season. I think part of the reason was it lost the story lines of Dan actually campaigning for mayor (which had some funny absurdities) since S2 started him off as mayor. I missed the Brianna character (Dan's short-term girlfriend) in S2 - she was cute/hot.

I remember CTV was pushing the ex-Corner Gas members new shows... DFM and Hiccups (starring Brent Butt and Nancy Robertson) - so naturally I watched both. DFM was enjoyable... Hiccups was just plain horrible. The comedy of Hiccups was just too forced and the Nancy Robertson's character was beyond annoying.
Yes to all and strangely Brent Butt was somewhat of a minor character (in Hiccups) to the empire he created. One thing I liked about Dan for Mayor was the concept was fairly fresh as well and Mary Ashton was very likeable.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 8:35 PM

While it has been a national sport to decry the quality of Canadian television, as someone who has made a study of it for most of their life, I think the industry is doing just fine. I think we can match anyone for quality, where we might misconstrue that is in interest.

There are and have been many good Canadian shows that I haven't any interest in. Heartland for one, personally I've never seen an episode of Letterkenny.

I don't know about now but in the 90s Canada was the second largest producer in the world of video content and that included the UK and Japan. So we have a fair amount of experience in this business.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 8:39 PM

Kiefer Sutherland cameo on Corner Gas

Seeing as this thread has mostly gone off the rails, me being the guiltiest, is there any interest in starting a Canadian TV thread if there isn't one already and most of these posts can be moved there.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 9:40 PM

Littlest Hobo, Odyssey and Danger Bay were my favorites by far as a kid growing up.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Littlest Hobo, Odyssey and Danger Bay were my favorites by far as a kid growing up.
If you go over to IMDB you can see that the Littlest Hobo was very popular (here and abroad) as was it's theme song. I'm old enough to remember the original LH (shot in colour and broadcast in black and white) and its theme.

By the time the remake started I was in the biz and was critical of the colour videotape recordings and stilted acting but to a child that wouldn't detract from the show.

A show I've started to watch again and find interesting is Max Glick, a CBC show from the early 90s. It's kinda like a version of the Wonder Years with a 60s Jewish kid from Manitoba.

I've linked to the Encore + channel on Youtube where all the hyperlinked programs above can be found.

Also there are some early Street Legals with that fantastic intro theme by David Wilcox. And speaking of Corner Gas which started all this, you can see a much younger Eric Peterson on Street Legal which they alluded to on an episode of Corner Gas and also a mention of the Beachcombers as best Canadian TV show of all time for our friend who never heard of it

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
originally posted by Acajack
Those Anglo-Canadian shows don't really resonate in Quebec any more than Quebec shows resonate in Maple Creek. (Not to mention that they resonate significantly less in their "home" market than Quebec shows resonate in theirs.)
...Gatineau most be more sheltered than I thought...

Here's my impression of this particular page of the thread:

-Hey! how about Quebec Cinema & TV?!!!

crickets*

-hey, how about Canadian tv shows you've actually have heard of?

YES, HOW ABOUT DID YOU SEE THIS CORNER GAS EPISODE WITH KEIFER!!

YES LOVE IT, HOW ABOUT THIS WHOLE LIST OF CORNER GAS SPIN OFF SHOWS!!!

YES, HOW ABOUT THIS CORNER GAS EPISODE ALLUDED TO FROM STREET LEGAL!!!

YES, MAYBE WE SHOULD START A CANADIAN TV THREAD!!! YAY!!!

...and so forth & so forth..

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:

A little off topic, but does anyone watch the SJW News (i mean CBC National News) anymore????

Not one single CBC show on that list.

I do watch the CBC regional news at 11 PM, but if I ever watch the national news at 10 PM, it's usually only accidentally (I'm surfing and there happens to be something interesting on as I'm flicking through).

It would appear that The Beaverton is now a more influential news source than the CBC is............
The only show i have watched on cbc over the last decade, would be the occasional episode of Dragons Den.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
...Gatineau most be more sheltered than I thought...

Here's my impression of this particular page of the thread:

-Hey! how about Quebec Cinema & TV?!!!

crickets*
Don't go into a fight unarmed fella, if you wanna go into Quebec cinema you've gone down the wrong alley. Can't recall how many months ago I was able to download for my collection Le Gros Bill one of the seminal, early Quebec feature films.

Getting that after its restoration was one of the last Holy Grails for my collection.

FYI No one here is denying how good Corner Gas was or its influence but you'll notice even in its own script they had the Beachcombers as the greatest Canadian TV show of all time, something if I sat and thought about I could probably argue.

Last edited by elly63; Sep 15, 2019 at 10:47 PM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDBO View Post
The only show i have watched on cbc over the last decade, would be the occasional episode of Dragons Den.
I used to watch Mr D quite frequently but my consumption pattern has changed, I just don't watch "regular" TV anymore.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada