HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Of Trees View Post
This is a small thing, but they are installing a pedestrian signal at the intersection of Capitol and Broad. I'll try to put a picture up of it later.

This is certainly better than nothing--plenty of people want to walk across there but have a real difficult time doing so. However, they should have put a full traffic signal there. Cars also have difficulty getting across, and my greatest fear is that there may be no synchronization with the rest of the signals on Capitol. If that signal goes off when the rest of the lights on Capitol are green, there will be severe gridlock at rush hour.
Here we go. I'm sure they'll add another pole on the other side of the road.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 3:24 PM
All man. Half nuts.

anyone know how tall the modal center will be now that a location has been selected?

the chart on the development thread said 7-14 floors. however, i thought the preliminary proposal for this location was 5 floors?

personally, i was hoping that one of the other, larger locations would've been selected. in typical boise fashion, it seems that once this center is completed, it'll be too small in a hurry (see: boise airport garage).

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
anyone know how tall the modal center will be now that a location has been selected?

the chart on the development thread said 7-14 floors. however, i thought the preliminary proposal for this location was 5 floors?

personally, i was hoping that one of the other, larger locations would've been selected. in typical boise fashion, it seems that once this center is completed, it'll be too small in a hurry (see: boise airport garage).
I've heard that they reduced the size to 3 floors.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 3:58 PM

Here is some info:

http://www.valleyregionaltransit.org...etAug18_11.pdf

The core elements of the $12 million Multimodal Center in Boise would be housed in a minimum three story facility of approximately 75,000 square feet, including spec-office space and at least two levels of public parking. 150-200 parking spaces will be provided for transit riders and to replace surface-level
parking. The height of the facility could grow to as many as six levels if a private-public partnership reaches fruition to add more office space and parking at the facility.

Services and amenities planned at the Multimodal Center include:
• An indoor passenger plaza, including public rest rooms
• Sheltered outdoor waiting and seating areas
• A service desk to answer questions, provide information and sell bus passes.
• Information kiosks with specific information about ValleyRide schedules, ACHD Commuteride
vanpool services, carpool services, car-sharing services, bicycle-commuting maps and more.
• Public Wi-Fi
• Bicycle storage locker area
• Public art incorporated into the building design similar to the Boise Airport terminal.
• Taxi stand
• Retail space, including the possibility of coffee and food vendors
• Boise Police Department substation
• Private security officers
• 10,000 to 25,000 square feet of spec office space

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 4:57 PM

Thank you for the info Cottonwood.
-------------------
It's too bad that it's going to be on such a small lot, and that it will not be putting a dent in the Boise skyline.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 5:07 PM

Quote:
This is a small thing, but they are installing a pedestrian signal at the intersection of Capitol and Broad. I'll try to put a picture up of it later.

This is certainly better than nothing--plenty of people want to walk across there but have a real difficult time doing so. However, they should have put a full traffic signal there. Cars also have difficulty getting across, and my greatest fear is that there may be no synchronization with the rest of the signals on Capitol. If that signal goes off when the rest of the lights on Capitol are green, there will be severe gridlock at rush hour.
According to ACHD's Road Wizard, there will also be another ped signal at Capitol and Grove. Awesome!

http://www.achdidaho.org/Departments...s.aspx?MID=261

Though, I don't like that you'll have to push a button to activate the signals. I always get super annoyed at 8th and Front when you don't get there in time to push the button (or everyone else already there forgets to do it), you wait forever for the next cycle since all those cars have to go down Front. They should just change automatically with the rest of the synchronization.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 5:46 PM

http://www.boiseweekly.com/CityDesk/...own-circulator

Boise Wins Federal Grant, Will Revisit Downtown Circulator
Posted by George Prentice on Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Saying, "This was the piece we were missing in 2008 when we first proposed a streetcar project," Boise Mayor Dave Bieter announced today that the city had been awarded a $375,000 grant to fund a new analysis of a possible downtown circulator system. The study will investigate best routes to connect Boise's downtown core with adjacent neighborhoods, including the Boise State campus.

"We're looking forward to working with the city in exploring the options under this grant," said James Maguire, Boise State associate vice president for campus planning and facilities. Boise State participated in an earlier streetcar task force.

"The city is committed to doing its part to create a comprehensive transportation system for the Boise Valley, including commuter rail, improved bus service and a downtown circulator," said Bieter. "This alternatives analysis will get us one step closer to that goal."
Looks like I'll have to mock up a new suggested route....

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:

yay!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 4:56 AM

Quote:

I really hope they'll go through with it this time after the study is done.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 8:37 PM
Dare Mighty Things

In class at the moment, so can't post a lot, but just saw in IBR an article about the Airport accepting architectural proposals for the parking garage expansion.... Finally, about time this thing gets done!! Damn NIMBYs.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
In class at the moment, so can't post a lot, but just saw in IBR an article about the Airport accepting architectural proposals for the parking garage expansion.... Finally, about time this thing gets done!! Damn NIMBYs.
I wonder how large the extension is going to be

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 1:57 AM

BOI-IDA service

By a google search, it looks like SeaPort is flying only three daily's into IDA Monday through Friday... Only one flight on Saturday and no Sunday service. Does anyone know if this represent a reduction in service from what it originally was? I seem to recall them doing something like 5 flights a day at first? Also, why on earth to they fly to Pendleton? Is there really a demand or it just a logistical move by the airline to move the planes around?

On the Idaho Falls forum, IFguy seems to have some intel on a possible route to Hawaii opening up. Does anyone know anything about the likelihood of that? It would almost certainly be on Allegiant but it seems crazy that IF would get Hawaii service before we would.

BTW, a cool tool I found for searching for flight info is in google. Just type in "flights to [airport code]" into Google. It pops up with a list of all nonstop routes and the airline serving the route. Click on the destination and it brings up a timetable. The "flights from" command also works.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 7:09 PM

I have thought the same regarding the flight to Pendelton.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
I have thought the same regarding the flight to Pendelton.
Just to move their planes around. And they have reduced service from their initial service amount. Not really surprising though.

Allegiant tends to fly places without much service. While it seems strange IF would get HI service and Boise would not, Boise has nearly endless easy connections to HI, Idaho Falls not so much. I doubt that service will last if implemented. They also have a reputation of quickly ending service when it doesn't work out.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 2:10 AM

It's interesting that they'd decide to choose IF. I know that it's a growing city, but it'd kind of seem more logical (to me at least) that they'd have the flights come out of Boise.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
Just to move their planes around. And they have reduced service from their initial service amount. Not really surprising though.

Allegiant tends to fly places without much service. While it seems strange IF would get HI service and Boise would not, Boise has nearly endless easy connections to HI, Idaho Falls not so much. I doubt that service will last if implemented. They also have a reputation of quickly ending service when it doesn't work out.
That's what I thought about the Pendleton flights, I guess this way they can try to eek out a little revenue while they're at it... I can't imagine more than one or two people taking that flight on a good day. If Allegiant is able to go from IF to HI then awesome, but they always seemed really gimmicky to me when I lived in IF so I never bothered with them. They only had flights on Thursdays and Sundays. Often they required that you book your hotel with them to be able to buy the plane ticket, or they charge some ridiculous fee to book your flight online. If you don't want to pay the booking fee you actually go to their counter at the IF airport (which is only open during a small time frame every couple days) and buy the ticket. If it takes Allegiant to get Hawaii service here in Boise, then I'm fine with connection through Seattle, Portland, SFO or Los Angeles until another airline decides to give us a nonstop.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 10:31 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

New Green bike lane downtown on 8th--I hope more are these are planned for downtown.

Bus Stop Shelter art, near 8th and Idaho

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 11:32 PM

[QUOTE=Sawtooth;5470463]

i really like that green bike lane! i really hope they put more in as well.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 3:46 PM

That is nice, since we are an uber major bike city those green lanes should be painted all over downtown and on major streets, they obviously stand out more than just white lines and bike symbols. ACHD, are you planning on this?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
That is nice, since we are an uber major bike city those green lanes should be painted all over downtown and on major streets, they obviously stand out more than just white lines and bike symbols. ACHD, are you planning on this?
If they help keep the darn cyclists out of traffic, I'm all for it

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West