HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 9:15 PM

I knew the 34th Street crossing was out for tender earlier this year but wasn't sure what happened.

One of my spies drove by the area today and preliminary work has begun with the former sidewalk crossing dug up and some trees cut down. There is a spring in the area so that may complicate things.

Hopefully things progress and McDonald loses the title of "Brandon's longest cul-de-sac"

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 11:53 PM
BANNED

Too bad Brandon didn’t make better use of it’s valley and ridge line when laying out the city and newer developments, not exactly a nice looking city by any stretch!

Last edited by rrskylar; Nov 19, 2020 at 12:28 AM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 7:45 AM
Back from the dead

^Oh, I don't know. I rather like Brandon. It's not exactly a bustling, cosmopolitan world trade hub but I find it has a certain charm. Honestly, it feels exactly like Winnipeg with the exception of its size. I agree that more focus should be put on doing more with the river valley, however.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 2:11 PM

HyLife Foods is building a new head office building in Steinbach... it will be in some sort of suburban development on the edge of town.

Here's the proposed office:

Steinbachonline.com

Here's the development, Millbrook Market. Apparently it's zoned for residential buildings of up to eight storeys:

Steinbachonline.com

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 2:49 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wow

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 7:58 PM
Ignore these four words.

I would have thought it would be in Neepawa since their huge pork processing plant is there, but what the hell do I know? Great for Steinbach.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 9:48 PM

HyLife's current HQ is near Steinbach in La Broquerie:

https://hylife.com/

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
HyLife Foods is building a new head office building in Steinbach... it will be in some sort of suburban development on the edge of town.

Here's the proposed office:

Steinbachonline.com

Here's the development, Millbrook Market. Apparently it's zoned for residential buildings of up to eight storeys:

Steinbachonline.com
I did some pricing on a portion of this project as its local for me, would be a great addition to Steinbach, it's supposed to be going right in front of the retention pond where the larger building is in the second picture. The only think that upset me is that this building will force a large area of this development to be surface parking, I guess we have the room for it here in Steinbach.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
I did some pricing on a portion of this project as its local for me, would be a great addition to Steinbach, it's supposed to be going right in front of the retention pond where the larger building is in the second picture. The only think that upset me is that this building will force a large area of this development to be surface parking, I guess we have the room for it here in Steinbach.
I would not expect too much in a small city like Steinbach... there isn't much pressure to develop vertically there. But that said, you guys did get an impressive urban development with SCU's head office a few years ago. Might well be Manitoba's most impressive office building outside of Winnipeg.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 6:15 AM

Pics, short video and webcam of the International Harvester building demolition in Brandon:

https://www.ebrandon.ca/buzzpost.aspx?buzz_id=906

This is part of the project to replace the 18th Street Bridge over the CP mainline.

One piece of good news, the iconic "Home of the Wheat Kings" signs were removed prior to demolition. They will likely go somewhere at the Keystone Centre.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 12:33 PM

^ Sad to see it go. At the rate things are going, Brandon will barely have any old-school urbanity left.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 12:50 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
^ Sad to see it go. At the rate things are going, Brandon will barely have any old-school urbanity left.
Then again though, considering the Winnipeg exodus to other parts of the province, business/industrial investments and construction of facilities included... theoretically, could Brandon & Portage La Prairie not just reap the harvests & keep adding on "urban" developments to replace whats being destroyed & demolished? I mean, its not like it would cost a fortune to build up on a cheap-ass land parcel and to pay taxes, utilities and such on said lot over a few decades, right...? Portage la Prairie might have some sprawl coming at the rate its going, but more than enough time, foresight and money floating around Brandon to densify it toward European urban levels (and to then finally focus on extending the suburbs outwards when the current city size doubles to like 90,000 people & the city densifies accordingly). Brandon can still be saved.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Then again though, considering the Winnipeg exodus to other parts of the province, business/industrial investments and construction of facilities included... theoretically, could Brandon & Portage La Prairie not just reap the harvests & keep adding on "urban" developments to replace whats being destroyed & demolished? I mean, its not like it would cost a fortune to build up on a cheap-ass land parcel and to pay taxes, utilities and such on said lot over a few decades, right...? Portage la Prairie might have some sprawl coming at the rate its going, but more than enough time, foresight and money floating around Brandon to densify it toward European urban levels (and to then finally focus on extending the suburbs outwards when the current city size doubles to like 90,000 people & the city densifies accordingly). Brandon can still be saved.
The bones are there in Brandon, but I highly doubt there is any appetite at City Hall to look inwards. Although the absolute disaster that is the Corral Super Centre on the Assinniboine should cause some reflection by the City Planning Dept.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 1:42 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 9:38 PM

And they still have SaskTel. They still pay there for their cells what we used to pay with MTS.

Filmon and Pallister. What a pair. Hoodwinked us all and got rich in the process.

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 2:07 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

no idea how much of this is just marketiing stuff

Corazon launches into mining studies at Lynn Lake nickel project
https://stockhead.com.au/resources/c...ickel-project/

could see 2 mines up here again if alamos gets moving forward with their mclelan /burnt timber and farly lake project

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 6:58 PM

More green field development proposed for Steinbach.
Commercial And Residential Development Proposed Behind Clearspring Centre

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 7:29 PM

^ In the same neck of the woods, Niverville was awarded a MJHL expansion team to begin play in their new arena in fall 2022. There are over 4,000 people living there now, it's growing at a pretty fast clip.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 12:42 PM

Not sure how new this is, but the Brandon Town Centre is on the market. $6,795,000 takes it. (This has DaveFromSt.Vital written all over it!!)

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...er-ave-brandon

It's been a couple of years since I've been through it, but it was very quiet in there... a far cry from when The Bay and Eatons were still inside, and it functioned as Brandon's main shopping centre.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 1:09 PM

Quote:
^ In the same neck of the woods, Niverville was awarded a MJHL expansion team to begin play in their new arena in fall 2022. There are over 4,000 people living there now, it's growing at a pretty fast clip.
I visit the town frequently due to my child friend living there and i'm shocked how many new homes and there's a huge new development just starting close to the arena as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan