HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 7:57 PM

#1 is horrendous lol maybe just the rendering.

To add colour, everyone must be sprayed pink, blue, or yellow before entering.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Cona View Post
Be vocal with CV because this is a disgrace of a design.
It looks okay but I thought this was to be a signature building that also sets precedent for the future buildings to rise after this? I like the glass etc but the lacklustre unimaginative rectangular box thing is a huge letdown

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
#1 is horrendous lol maybe just the rendering.

To add colour, everyone must be sprayed pink, blue, or yellow before entering.
LOL..I still rather that then Beige, greige gray.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 9:12 PM

I'm not against colour by any means. Just am leery we end up with something that's looks like trash in 10 years.

Like all the pink stucco houses. Why? Why pink?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 9:35 PM

When you look at what was submitted, on what planet is the rendering selected for the promo the best?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Cona View Post
When you look at what was submitted, on what planet is the rendering selected for the promo the best?
Like everything developed in Winnipeg that involves government... follow the money. Somebody along the way is friends with somebody else.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 9:47 PM

No doubt eh? That would be the only possible conclusion.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
It looks okay but I thought this was to be a signature building that also sets precedent for the future buildings to rise after this? I like the glass etc but the lacklustre unimaginative rectangular box thing is a huge letdown
The more I think about this the more it bugs me. The exchange is significant for its heritage architecture. Development in the area should compliment that with something at least a little bit more creative. Especially this project involving CV who is especially interested in spurring more development.
Small stain

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 6:35 PM

-The residential tower will operate on a net zero basis, it will produce as much energy as it consumes, a first of its kind (residential) in Canada, supported by 2.6M from the federal government.

-40M has been leveraged from government and other agencies for the residential competent of the project.

-CV has formed a new company with the University of Winnipeg Renewal Corporation who will be the operator of this project.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dam_well View Post
The more I think about this the more it bugs me. The exchange is significant for its heritage architecture. Development in the area should compliment that with something at least a little bit more creative. Especially this project involving CV who is especially interested in spurring more development.
An opportunity wasted.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
-The residential tower will operate on a net zero basis, it will produce as much energy as it consumes, a first of its kind (residential) in Canada, supported by 2.6M from the federal government.

-40M has been leveraged from government and other agencies for the residential competent of the project.

-CV has formed a new company with the University of Winnipeg Renewal Corporation who will be the operator of this project.
Well if there is any silver lining to this is that it will be built and managed by University of Winnipeg Renewal Corporation. They will get it built and have a very good track record. I like their white buildings by the WAG.

The other thing I noticed in the financials was appraising the southern parcel at $6.2M. As a parking lot yes... as bare land I’m not so sure... Also not sure what the impact on assessing it at such a high number is. Will anyone be writing a cheque for the land or is it just a placeholder in the proforma?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 5:20 AM
surely you agree with me

UWCRC will be a great partner. To be clear. All the programming specifically coordinated to attract available funding sources, pro forma planning, tenant procurement, grant applications, government coordination, and project management that has been done over the past year to leverage that huge amount of funding and to get the project ready for construction, was 100% done by Centre Venture.

I completely agree with the sentiments here that the building is far from a sexy landmark. It was my least favourite finalist in the competition. I was disappointed that it won and it didn’t get better, but CV skillfully leveraged a tiny civic contribution into a major project funded almost entirely through cobbling together a diverse series of funding sources.

We need to remember what’s important. This is not a typical developer project. It will be one of the most environmentally sustainable buildings in the entire country. It will provide high quality affordable housing in the downtown. The two bottom floors will be filled with dynamic, public facing arts groups brought together by CV in a new creative hub. The market building will be a focal point in the Exchange District that can open to spill out across the site. These are the important things that will make the project successful. I wish it looked better as a tower, no question, but I would way rather have a development that transforms the pedestrian experience, brings people together and becomes an exciting new attraction and source of creative energy in downtown, than a starchitect sculpture that looks good in a magazine.

Last edited by trueviking; Mar 18, 2021 at 5:46 AM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 11:43 AM

I don't know what you people are flipping out about. It's a perfectly handsome building that will populate, frame, and activate a nice public space. My only reservation is what the north side will look like (is it a blank brick wall down to the ground).

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 2:01 PM

I think it looks great and fits there area well. The north side is apartments with windows and such. There's a walkway prior to the other site.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
I don't know what you people are flipping out about. It's a perfectly handsome building that will populate, frame, and activate a nice public space. My only reservation is what the north side will look like (is it a blank brick wall down to the ground).
Ah it’s just Vike and Broc and the ol’ battle of the merits of Centreventure. It’s like watching Seinfeld reruns at this point. Charming and nostalgic, and you know it’s always gonna be there for you in times of boredom.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 3:20 PM

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 4:04 PM

⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️ On funding and housing.

(I still think it looks like the 60’s Regent Park towers currently being torn down in Toronto)

I’m much more optimistic all around on the New Ross Street / Paulin Bldg project if it is built in a similar fashion to the aspirational place holder imagery currently presented.

Last edited by Labroco; Mar 18, 2021 at 5:01 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I think it looks great and fits there area well. The north side is apartments with windows and such. There's a walkway prior to the other site.
Sorry, I meant the west side. The east side has that cutaway and gallery space, but none of the renders I saw showed the Princess st. side. I'm worried it'll be a Winnipeg slab with a sheer wall of masonry.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 8:54 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Ah it’s just Vike and Broc and the ol’ battle of the merits of Centreventure. It’s like watching Seinfeld reruns at this point. Charming and nostalgic, and you know it’s always gonna be there for you in times of boredom.
love seinfeld....could still watch every episode!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Sorry, I meant the west side. The east side has that cutaway and gallery space, but none of the renders I saw showed the Princess st. side. I'm worried it'll be a Winnipeg slab with a sheer wall of masonry.
Ah, ya. It's probably got a stairwell with some windows. Otherwise it's the brick IIRC.

I would prefer these buildings not be covered in pink and green and whatever else. Look like trash. Just like the black stuff will in 5 or 10 years. If you link pink, the burbs have loads of pink stucco!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan