HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

270 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 7:28 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

^That. We live in a society wherein sacrifices sometimes have to be made to keep the economic engines going on all eights.|

The truly remarkable example in this case is hardly noticeable from any distance greater than maybe five miles from the deconstruction site. Street level? Hell yeah...but from, say, the RFK/Triboro, perhaps not so.

Only in this town can a 700'+ tower be chosen to take the fall, as it were, for something twice it's size with hardly a glance "from without".

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 7:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXFrank View Post
I remember when I was working there that Bearn and Stern next door went bankrupt, JP Morgan took most employees to this building and they where rebuilding it completely interiorly, they must have spend countless millions back in 2008, now they are tearing it down, so to talk about wastefulness is the least. this is nothing to them.

Not at all uncommom. Companies spend millions every year to renovate occupied spaces, even for the short term. I remember Time Warner spending a lot to renovate CNN headquarters at TWC, even as 30 Hudson was under construction. Wasteful? Only if you feel that they should have sat still it what was obviously considered substandard by their means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXFrank View Post
Ok so those who oppose to tearing down a 1960s box building need to understand is a bigger movement going on, back to the big picture, Park Avenue rezoning is to renovate the area and compete with lower cost of leasing Hudson Yards and others which their buildings are modern, having smart technological amenities, modern company computer system floors, if you ever been in a modern digitalized conference room or office space you’ll know the difference from a 1960s, this is to attract the new modern tenants and or not have them leave. Yes is location by Grand Central a plus but we’re in a new era and companies can’t compete having an outdated building. They know what is waste and investment, they make billions and know how to invest billions better than you and me.

At least you get it. Chase has the oppurtunity to expand it's headquarters by more than 50%, in the heart of the Heart of New York City, with direct connections to commuter and subway lines. This district is being rebuilt, and reinvigorated. That was the whole point of the rezoning.

Meanwhile, you get people commenting on "wastefulness", yet they will go out and get that new phone, new shoes, new car, or just new "whatever", when what they already have "will do" or get by. But sometimes it's not just about getting by with what you have, when you can get and need better.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 1:38 AM
New Yorker for life

A very large new building will go up here. But in the meantime, we're seeing the process take shape in reverse.

SEPTEMBER 30, 2019

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 1:10 AM
New Yorker for life

More demo permits...

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Quote:
10/03/2019

INSTALLATION AND USE OF 6-TON CHAIN HOIST AND ASSOCIATED RIGGING AND SHORING TO REMOVE ELEVATORS 25, 26, 27 DURING FULL DEMOLITION

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 11:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 4:05 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Via the cams today.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 9:26 PM
Crane Goddess

According to a friend who's in town, she talked to a workman at 270, who thinks the whole building will be gone by March. Is that even plausible?
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
According to a friend who's in town, she talked to a workman at 270, who thinks the whole building will be gone by March. Is that even plausible?
not sure.I was told by someone who works for J.P. on the HR/ Location strategy planning side they have scheduled a floor per week that means exactly one year, but there are substantial bonuses for early completion so it could be possible.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 12:45 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This is probally going to move at 1 Vandy speed in terms of time-tables. Given it being JP Morgan, they probally want the tower up and running by 2022/2023.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 3:05 PM

Only thing that worries me about this is that if the renderings come out to reveal a horrible design it will be too late because demo on this modern beauty will be complete.

Random side note. My first experience with this building was seeing it in the Ninja Turtles movie poster as a child. Oh the memories.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 3:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
It would probably be about half gone by then, if that. Demo is supposed to be complete by the end of next year though, with construction of the new tower beginning early 2021. It's not supposed to be complete until 2024.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 11:53 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 10:05 PM

I walked by today between some meetings I had in the city. They are moving fast with this demo, last time I saw it in person 2/3rds of the interior was still intact now the only thing left is the cafeteria on the Madison and 48th corner.

Its still nuts to me that they are tearing this down just 7 years after completely gut-renovating the building to leed Platinum standards and that this was one of their more cost-effective solutions.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 3:28 AM
New Yorker for life

Screens are coming down as most of the glass (facade) is now removed. We're moving closer to the real action, when the disassembling of the tower begins its slow march downward.
It'll be the opposite of watching a skyscraper rise, but with the anticipation of something newer and larger taking its place.

OCTOBER 8, 2019

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 3:30 AM

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 3:45 AM

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 3:58 AM
New Yorker for life

If we could get a building with setbacks like that, I'll be very happy...

Video Link

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 9, 2019 at 4:30 AM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 5:33 AM
Crane Goddess

Damn, that's one thicc tower
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 5:45 AM

I like the profile! Reminds me a little of these two (except on a bigger scale):

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 10:11 AM
BANNED

Wow!

I’ll take 1,350’ of that!!’

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction