HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 4:50 AM

I'd be more optimistic if something like Olympia would break ground soon, but it's looking like that's in the rear view along with other tall towers that we were excited about less than a year ago. Now we have to hope the Arts District completely transforms into a tower factory the rest of this decade. Good news is non-downtown is still developing all over and the skyline of many smaller city centers will be a reality, but that's at least a a decade away from being magnificent.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 1:28 AM

I've always been a firm believer that the more that comes online, more will follow. I think Oceanwide has honestly held downtown back a little bit. I'm sure a lot of developers wanted to see how good it would pan out or if it would flop instantly since it had a lot of retail attached. When Oceanwide comes online, hopefully 2022 because 2021 seems very out of the question, and does really well, I can see a string of new proposals and ground breakings to happen right after it. Yeah covid threw a wrench into the system but construction didn't grind to a screeching halt like we thought it would.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 3:07 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
I've always been a firm believer that the more that comes online, more will follow. I think Oceanwide has honestly held downtown back a little bit. I'm sure a lot of developers wanted to see how good it would pan out or if it would flop instantly since it had a lot of retail attached. When Oceanwide comes online, hopefully 2022 because 2021 seems very out of the question, and does really well, I can see a string of new proposals and ground breakings to happen right after it. Yeah covid threw a wrench into the system but construction didn't grind to a screeching halt like we thought it would.
Covid doesn't seem to be stopping much in other US cities, but maybe LA is different for whatever reason.

It'd be incredible if even just a few of the decently tall proposals could be realized.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 8:06 PM

^^^ Didn't stop much here either. Things that were already under construction seemed to actually pick up a little speed this year. The wrench I'm referring to is the permitting process with the city I feel slowed has slowed down a smidge. Not a lot. Just a smidge lol.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 1:47 AM

Hopefully that will resolve itself a bit with actual city council representation vs the Huizar limbo we were in.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 8:21 AM

Hi thanks from Perth Australia and the bottom of my heart !!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmkef View Post
Hopefully that will resolve itself a bit with actual city council representation vs the Huizar limbo we were in.
This is also true. This Huizar mess has also thrown a wrench into the system a bit. But. It should also be a wakeup call to the city, i know it wont be, but it should. When developers feel they have to go the Huizar route instead of jumping through all the hoops and red tape. Maybe its time some of that red tape to be cut permanently and hoops thrown out of the window. It shouldn't be this hard to get stuff approved in a city with a massive housing crisis.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 2:05 AM

Seems like the Arts District tower developer wasn't indicted in here. Hopefully they can proceed with just a slap on the wrist. It's such a great project and would do wonders for that area.

https://therealdeal.com/la/2020/11/3...geles%20Weekly

Last edited by Radio5; Dec 1, 2020 at 5:03 AM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 9:58 PM

I appreciate the warm welcome, everyone. I was down in the area a couple weeks ago and got these night shots. The quality isn't the best but you can definitely get an idea of what's going on. Per the rules, I excluded the shots of outside of Downtown that i grabbed, and put them on the LA Metro forum to check out as well.

The Grand

[IMG]IMG_9852 by Anthony Diaz, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_9853 by Anthony Diaz, on Flickr[/IMG]

Perla On Broadway

[IMG]IMG_9854 by Anthony Diaz, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_9856 by Anthony Diaz, on Flickr[/IMG]

Citizen M Hotel

[IMG]IMG_9857 by Anthony Diaz, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_9858 by Anthony Diaz, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 10:15 PM

Happy December

I’ve always been obsessed with downtown skylines lit in holiday colors. Are there any cranes that are adorned in Christmas lights in DTLA?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
Happy December

I’ve always been obsessed with downtown skylines lit in holiday colors. Are there any cranes that are adorned in Christmas lights in DTLA?
Here's a shot I took last year during the holiday season from the San Rafeal Hills in Glendale. Some of the buildings(especially the Wilshire Grand) have Christmas colors, but nothing on the construction cranes.

_C200081.jpg by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 3:11 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^Amazing shot.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 3:12 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Gorgeous photo!! So so eager to visit LA again, it's driving me nuts (stupid pandemic).

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 3:23 AM

It's about 70 miles from there to the west end of Catalina. That's one of those rare unlimited visibility days, where you're only limited by the curvature of the earth.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
Here's a shot I took last year during the holiday season from the San Rafeal Hills in Glendale. Some of the buildings(especially the Wilshire Grand) have Christmas colors, but nothing on the construction cranes.

_C200081.jpg by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr
Beautiful!

LA City Hall seems so far away from the CBD from this vantage point.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 5:11 AM

Some shots of the 4Site development in technically Lincoln Heights. Going up quick. Hopefully this will get the other projects going around here. Will totally change the area.

San Fern side
Lincoln Heights. - 4Site by Radio 5, on Flickr

Barranca Side
Lincoln Heights - 4Site by Radio 5, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
It's about 70 miles from there to the west end of Catalina. That's one of those rare unlimited visibility days, where you're only limited by the curvature of the earth.
A bit less than 70, actually 52, but the air quality was pretty good. Sunday night I took a group up to Del Cerro Park in PV and some of the shots had Santa Barbara Island AND San Nicolas Island(that's over 75 miles away).

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
LA City Hall seems so far away from the CBD from this vantage point.
It is that far away though, lots of tower infill to bridge that gap, The Grand is one step.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 6:54 PM
Architectural Designer

some shots from this weekend.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 7:16 PM
DENNAB

Some incredibly shocking news for everyone:

Ex-Deputy Mayor of LA, Developers Charged in Real Estate Bribery Scandal

Quote:
Federal prosecutors have criminally charged Raymond Chan, a former deputy mayor for economic development under Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, as well as the developers involved in an ongoing investigation into pay-for-play schemes at City Hall.
https://commercialobserver.com/2020/...ibery-scandal/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations