HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 10:12 PM
I am a typical

If you have never taken the bus, you ask the driver! It's their job to answer your questions. Having them call out every single stop is unnecessary and would be distracting. Here you can just ask and they'll let you know when the stop is coming up.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 11:43 PM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Honestly, why are they doing this ? I've heard the reasoning but in my opinion , drivers should be concentrating on the road not street names. I think the transit drivers are right. Try it yourselves...just as an exercise in concentration, go for a drive and call out every street name as you pass it. It's not as easy as it seems.

That aside, yeah, for people who request a specific stop it's not much to ask. For every stop though, it's kind of pointless. Everybody but the blind already know where their stop is.
what is if someone is very shy? Or a child? Or a person that cannot talk? I also think it's annoying to do and to listen to, but they do not have any reason to protest, they can just try and if they can't, just indicate the main stops. They really look like spoiled brats... have you ever waited 10 minutes for them to take their coffee? Can't just they bring it from home?

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 11:52 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
If you have never taken the bus, you ask the driver! It's their job to answer your questions. Having them call out every single stop is unnecessary and would be distracting. Here you can just ask and they'll let you know when the stop is coming up.
in winnipeg yea can do that but don't try that in minneapolis... they will toss you off not supost to speak to the driver period :S

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 11:54 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
what is if someone is very shy? Or a child? Or a person that cannot talk? I also think it's annoying to do and to listen to, but they do not have any reason to protest, they can just try and if they can't, just indicate the main stops. They really look like spoiled brats... have you ever waited 10 minutes for them to take their coffee? Can't just they bring it from home?
they get stop points for timing and usly they are at points were they can grab a snack or somthing...

Old Posted Dec 29, 2007, 12:29 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
How shy can somebody possibly be that they can't ask the driver to let them know when they reach a specific stop ? That's an issue no bus driver can remedy.

Children ? Who's letting their toddlers ride the bus alone ?

Can't talk ? They don't need to talk to be able to read.

As I said, take a drive and call out every street name as you pass it. Seriously, just try it. I have. I'm telling you that the safety of the passengers supercedes their desire to hear their stop called out.
Think of it this way : ever notice how people talking on their cell phones while driving tend to drive like morons ? Well, they do that because they can't concentrate on the road properly. Now, if you ask anybody who does this they'll tell you that no, it's all the OTHER people who can't yap on their phone and drive at the same time. Oddly enough, no matter how many people you talk to , they all tell you it's somebody else who's at fault. Either way, there's a reason local governments have banned this practice in many jurisdictions : despite what people think, they aren't very good drivers when they aren't making driving their primary focus. It's a safety issue and there's all the evidence in the world to prove that the bus drivers are right to protest this.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 7:56 PM
Closed account

Edmontonians are smarter than us (or at least, their newly hired Manager of Transportation is, who is quoted below)
Quote:
In December, the city's transportation department shelved a proposed bus rapid transit system, which would have seen high-capacity buses speed along a dedicated roadway. "We're just not going to tear people's houses down to get a couple more minutes on a bus route. That doesn't make any sense", said Boutilier, who argued the proposal would cost hundreds of millions of dollars for property purchases, demolition, construction and new buses. "I don't want to waste staff, time and energy on anything less than the LRT", Boutilier told CBC News.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/st...rt-expand.html

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 7:58 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

umm rgalston for mayor?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 12:09 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Tram
JAN 07 2008 05:40 AM
Bookmark Page Email to a friend Print Page About RSS
A tram or gondola connecting St. Vital to the University of Manitoba would cost anywhere between 3 and 8 million dollars and have only several hundred riders each day, according to a Winnipeg Transit Report .
The study looked at four options, including an ambitious plan to run a tram from St. Vital Center though south St. Vital and across the Red River to the Fletcher Argue building at the University.
St. Norbert City councillor Justin Swandel says it's still less expensive than building a pedestrian bridge over river.
Swandel hopes the city will endorse a plan to study the plan in more detail, especially exploring the tourism aspects of the scheme.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 6:48 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

The article was on Monday's edition of the Free Press. Quite interesting, but the corridor from St. Vital Centre to the UofM is quite bold. It will be going over some residential areas and there might be some opposition to that one corridor.

The other 3 are fine from what I see.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 12:18 AM
ILYR

Given all the ideas for rapid transit in Winnipeg I think the tram system would work best. A system where the trams would replace the centre medians of the major Winnipeg routes (Pembina, Main, Portage, and Provencher-Regent), plus at least one existing traffic lane. The amount would depend on the location and route. An example is the system in Geneva, Switzerland. Below are some models of the Geneva system and a typical stop. Also I have added a north-south and east-west routes for Winnipeg passing through portage and main. The system would have right of way and restrict traffic crossing these routes to only major crossings. However, I think that it would be a minimal adjustment for Winnipegers. Also if this city is to truely embrace rapid transit there will have to be a general change in people's philosophy on transportation.

Your thoughts.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 12:29 AM
Starring as himself

Restricting cross-street traffic generates huge opposition in Toronto when these things are proposed here. It would potentially be damaging to the very businesses that are managing to hang on in the downtown area.

I do not see how these trams are going to survive Winnipeg winters or plough through the ice and snow on the streets. If even one of them breaks down, the whole line has to shut down, as happens here with streetcars.

Despite their unsexy image, buses are far better for Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 12:49 AM
ILYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Restricting cross-street traffic generates huge opposition in Toronto when these things are proposed here. It would potentially be damaging to the very businesses that are managing to hang on in the downtown area.
Questions. Please expand on why they would be damaging to business in the downtown?

Quote:
I do not see how these trams are going to survive Winnipeg winters or plough through the ice and snow on the streets. If even one of them breaks down, the whole line has to shut down, as happens here with streetcars.

Despite their unsexy image, buses are far better for Winnipeg.
Snow would likely not be a problem. Ice maybe. But I don't have the background to dispute this. This is an engineering problem that I am sure that can be solved. Buses are by no means not effected by snow and ice.

Please expand also why buses are better than trams for Winnipeg (noting any transit system in winnipeg with trams would also make extensive use of buses, plus buses are not unsexy, nor is the sexyness of a transit system relevant)

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 1:08 AM
Still optimistic

A bus was stuck for over 1 and a half hours because of snow here...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 3:24 AM
visionary

what about right and left turns for vehicles who want to turn to the crosssing road. do you mean they have to wait for the tram to pass to turn?

I think this would cause a traffic jam thats not needed and especially in winter where its stressfull enough to drive.

WE need a sky train/ subway that don't take away a sidewalk and don't congest raodway. Our rapid transit needs to seperate from all other traffic in order to be justifiably called rapid transit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYR View Post
Given all the ideas for rapid transit in Winnipeg I think the tram system would work best. A system where the trams would replace the centre medians of the major Winnipeg routes (Pembina, Main, Portage, and Provencher-Regent), plus at least one existing traffic lane. The amount would depend on the location and route. An example is the system in Geneva, Switzerland. Below are some models of the Geneva system and a typical stop. Also I have added a north-south and east-west routes for Winnipeg passing through portage and main. The system would have right of way and restrict traffic crossing these routes to only major crossings. However, I think that it would be a minimal adjustment for Winnipegers. Also if this city is to truely embrace rapid transit there will have to be a general change in people's philosophy on transportation.

Your thoughts.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 4:01 AM
Winnipeg Metro: 762 800

U of M gondola plan shelved?
Updated at 9:45 PM

St. Norbert Coun. Justin Swandel's dream of building a cable-car connection between the University of Manitoba and St. Vital has gotten tangled up at City Hall.

Today a pair of deadlocked votes at city council's public works committee left the aerial tramway plan in limbo, as councillors failed to agree on whether Winnipeg Transit should study the idea in greater detail or abandon it altogether.

Late last week, a transit study concluded it could cost as little as $3 million to build a gondola connection over the Red River between the U of M and St. Vital, not including annual operating costs. A pedestrian bridge would likely cost at least $12 million.

Winnipeg Transit did not push the plan, recommending it be "received as information," which is a City Hall euphemism for shelving a report. But Swandel appeared before the public works committee today and pleaded for genuine action.

The St. Norbert councillor convinced committee chair Bill Clement and veteran Mynarski Coun. Harry Lazarenko to ask Winnipeg Transit to conduct a more detailed study.

But Elmwood Coun. Lillian Thomas trashed the idea, insisting the city should not consider a cable-car connection while a bus rapid transit corridor along Pembina Highway remains unbuilt.

Then North Kildonan Coun. Jeff Browaty deemed the transit plan too timid, resulting in a deadlocked vote.

The result means nothing will happen with the cable-car proposal unless Swandel makes another motion at city council.

This afternoon he was considering his options.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...-4701910c.html

Last edited by MooseJets; Jan 9, 2008 at 4:08 AM. Reason: Wrong Thread

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 5:27 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYR View Post
Questions. Please expand on why they would be damaging to business in the downtown?
Because it makes it harder for customers and delivery vehicles to get to the businesses, much as confusing one-way street systems do.

Quote:
Snow would likely not be a problem. Ice maybe. But I don't have the background to dispute this. This is an engineering problem that I am sure that can be solved. Buses are by no means not effected by snow and ice.
True, but when a bus breaks down you just call in another bus. When a tram breaks down the trams behind it have to stop. And these tram systems are not typically designed for a climate like Winnipeg's, necessitating expensive modifications.

Quote:
Please expand also why buses are better than trams for Winnipeg (noting any transit system in winnipeg with trams would also make extensive use of buses, plus buses are not unsexy, nor is the sexyness of a transit system relevant)
The sexiness factor is what drives people to want these LRT systems, mostly. They're shiny and sleek and whiz around impressively. It's nice, but the cost is so high that I can't see it being justifiable on the basis of any real practical improvement they make to people's mobility. Buses use existing infrastructure, can go almost anywhere, and can be put wherever the need is at a given time. It's a slam dunk for the bus, in my view.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 6:26 AM
ILYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
what about right and left turns for vehicles who want to turn to the crosssing road. do you mean they have to wait for the tram to pass to turn?

I think this would cause a traffic jam thats not needed and especially in winter where its stressfull enough to drive.
What I mean is for most side streets you would not be able to cross the tran line, only at major intersections can cars cross. In the denser downtown area this would be slightly modified. I would also like to point out that the problem with traffic (and traffic jams) are caused by too many cars to begin with (single occupant vehicles). Hence the reason I mentioned that Winnipegers have to change their view of transportation. People must change their attitude regardless of the rapid transit system.

Quote:
WE need a sky train/ subway that don't take away a sidewalk and don't congest raodway. Our rapid transit needs to seperate from all other traffic in order to be justifiably called rapid transit.
A system that is 100% independent from our road ways would be optimal, but then there is the question of cost. A system 100% (or even only 50%) above ground or below is likely much more expensive. And as I mentioned you remove the median and one lane, not sidewalk space. The reality of mass/rapid transit is that we have move away from using our cars. If we build a tram, BRT, LRT, or subway and leave the 5 or 6 lanes we have on pembina or portage defeats the whole point of Winnipeg moving towards a more efficent mass/rapid transit system. Even a subway system is pointless if we all continue to drive our cars. We have to consider a realistic, cost effective option. Lastly rapid transit does not have to be separate from all other traffic, as examples of effective trams systems exist all over europe. The problem here as with other western Canadian cities is our addiction to cars.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 6:51 AM
ILYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Because it makes it harder for customers and delivery vehicles to get to the businesses, much as confusing one-way street systems do..
First, the tram systems that I am thinking of (e.g. Geneva) do not stop pedestrians from crossing. Note also I mention a system where 1 lane and the median is taken out. So that crossing for a pedestrian across 6 lanes of car traffic is likely not any easier than 5 lanes of traffic and a tram line. Also there are numerous places along major routes in winnipeg (e.g. pembina and portage) where there is no access across the major route from side streets. In these case the person must drive 3 or 4 blocks to a major intersection before they can turn the other way. Most people know where these places are and drive accordingly such that the enter a major route where they can turn right or left anyway. Once again I have to use existing tram systems as an example: they do not impact pedestrian or delivery vehicles in places they exist. In many of these cities there are significantly more people and businesses long the tram lines than along any major street in Winnipeg.

Quote:
True, but when a bus breaks down you just call in another bus. When a tram breaks down the trams behind it have to stop. And these tram systems are not typically designed for a climate like Winnipeg's, necessitating expensive modifications.
Tram lines are set up so that they can cross tracks to get around other trams (or other vehicles stick on the tracks). They can also be towed, just like a bus that breaks down. Trams do exist in cities that have snow and ice. Over all winnipeg does not have that much snow. We have a limited number of major snow falls per year. And when they do happen they effect all transportation.

Quote:
The sexiness factor is what drives people to want these LRT systems, mostly. They're shiny and sleek and whiz around impressively. It's nice, but the cost is so high that I can't see it being justifiable on the basis of any real practical improvement they make to people's mobility. Buses use existing infrastructure, can go almost anywhere, and can be put wherever the need is at a given time. It's a slam dunk for the bus, in my view.
Any tram system will, as I said before, would still require an extensive bus system, particularly as a feeder system. I will point out that the trams lines that I am think of do take up dedicated lanes and thus can by pass traffic on the road (1 lane and the median). If we had a system where buses had dedicated lanes along there full route this would be very similar to a tram system. Hence, the key here then is a system that removes regular traffic from at two lanes of traffic on major routes (portage, main etc) such that these buses/trams are not obstructed. This is similar to the BRT system in parts of Ottawa, which I also believe is a good option for Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 5:56 PM
Back from the dead

I have to admit that the tramway idea looked good for a minute there. Ultimately though, Andy made his case rather convincingly. Maybe they'd work in certain, small areas as a tourist attraction of sorts but otherwise, nope, not in Winnipeg.

At this rate, I'd settle for a few community bikes as rapid transit in this city anyway. Looks like it'll be the best thing we'll ever get anyway as long as we have the Mr. Magoos down at city hall running this place.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 6:49 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I have to admit that the tramway idea looked good for a minute there. Ultimately though, Andy made his case rather convincingly. Maybe they'd work in certain, small areas as a tourist attraction of sorts but otherwise, nope, not in Winnipeg.

At this rate, I'd settle for a few community bikes as rapid transit in this city anyway. Looks like it'll be the best thing we'll ever get anyway as long as we have the Mr. Magoos down at city hall running this place.
Yep.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan