HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 2:30 AM

Check out the "OnStage!" graphics... I'm not sure they advertised that in early 2001, so it had to've been the later months.

I'm guessing they replaced it somewhere between 6-4-01 and 9-4-01.

*EDIT* The timestamp on the "red" sign reveals it was taken: 6/9/01 at 2:37 PM. So, it was changed between 6-4-01 and 6-9-01.

Last edited by mrjoanofarc; Sep 23, 2006 at 3:11 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 2:45 AM

From a pretty big photo site, so very minimal searching would've turned this up (I saved it in Oct 2002):

Also, I don't know why anyone would take a picture of this, but I'm glad they did:

TKTS booth from outside... Poor lighting/weather conditions, though (depending on what kind of weather you like).

Last edited by mrjoanofarc; Sep 23, 2006 at 5:01 AM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 2:00 AM
Is That LEGO?

Pictures from the roof of WTC1

http://ednixon.com/pix/2001/wtc/

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 1:37 PM

Cool photo from the above group:

2 WTC lobby, east side, facing south? (From emporis)

Green-topped carts outside 2 WTC (From WotW picture collection)

Also, I want to reinforce the point that the WTC directional posts were re-painted between 6-4-01 and 6-9-01, determined from two dated photos earlier in the thread.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 1:48 PM
BANNED

Sadly, gone are the days when two monster twin towers proudly ruled the Eastern Seaboard.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 1:57 PM

I made it to the Obs. deck a few times, but the roof always seemed to be closed. But I did make it to the roof once. Surprisingly the view wasn't what i thought, since you were away from the edge of the building. The thing about being on the roof obs. level that was great was looking over at Tower 1 and the massive antenna. It was quite a view.

Last edited by Renton; Nov 4, 2007 at 12:13 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 4:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitySkyline
Well, I also gathered up some pictures of the observation deck. Wanna see them as well? (I'll gather pics a bit later and post them).

The more interesting pics are the ones from the outdoor deck, especially since the FT won't have that. Yes, the new indoor deck will be nice and will give you an idea of what you missed of the WTC's indoor deck, but the outdoor deck was something to behold: wind in your face, NO wires or glass glare to block your views, a full 360 degree view (at the ESB deck, behind you is the building; at the outdoor deck on the WTC, behind you was blue sky).

Anyway, sorry, didn't mean to depress you (after others cheered you up ) I'm sure the pictures will help.

Yes, show them, please.

We were indeed hoping to get an outdoor obs deck as well, but with the new spire / antenna arrangement, that seems highly unlikely now.

But having the INDOOR obs deck, at this point, is better than none at all. We WERE at least pushing for a few of the things that the old WTC had, and we will get them.

But at least, in time, we will once again have the highest viewing point on the East Coast!!!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 4:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton
I made it to the Obs. deck a few times, but the roof always seemed to be closed. But it did make it to the roof once. Surprisingly the view wasn't what i thought, since you were away from the edge of the building. The thing about being on the roof obs. level that was great was looking over at Tower 1 and the massive antenna. It was quite a view.

Yes, the indoor one DID let visitors get to the edge and see a little bit more.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2006, 2:41 PM

2 WTC lobby, east side, facing south? (From emporis)

where any of these flags recovered? any Flag?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2006, 9:06 PM
Because I'm Clever!

^Those were pulverized. That entire lobby was compressed into about two inches.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2006, 11:11 PM
Frigidus Maximus

I wonder if the spire of the FT will be visible from this same angle, unlike the North Tower's antenna... it would be awesome if it extended the impression of height even beyond that we see in this view.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 1:11 AM
Because I'm Clever!

From West and Liberty, you'll be able to see 1WTC in its entirety.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 1:39 AM
BANNED

The height of the spire / antennna might have a lot to do with it.

The antenna on the North Tower was only just over 300 feet. Also, the shape of the Freedom Tower might have something to do with it as well, since it will taper inward as it soars into the sky.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 6:38 AM

Here are a few video clips I found on YouTube on the WTC. For those of you who never got to go up, they give you a glimpse of what the experience was like.

1. A tourist video from June 2001. Shows the outdoor deck and a bit of the lobby at the beginning of the clip. Notice how BIG the lobbies were (people always think of the WTC as being tall; they often forget how massive each tower was)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGJElpnMs70

2. This is a scene from "Mazes and Monsters" (a movie I've never heard of, but has a young Tom Hanks). It shows the WTC lobby and both the indoor and outdoor decks (these areas are as they looked before the mid-90's renovations). At the very end of the clip, you get a good look of the outdoor deck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IkuQouJqOA

3. This video contains the complete "virtual" helicopter ride that people could see for free at the indoor observation deck (it was included with the price of admission). Also at the beginning of the video, you can see a glimpse of the underground area, as well as some footage of the lobby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsteYt5CLXI

4. This silent video clip shows both the outdoor and indoor decks. Unfortunately, the guy who taped it didn't seem to know how to keep the camera steady when he was outside (nor did he seem to know how to adjust the lens to use a wide-angle view). About 3 minutes into the video, you see the indoor deck. Again, notice how massive the floor was!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfqCnFQ5EFs

5. This video is a short tribute. What's cool is that you get to see the view from the indoor deck while clouds float by below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ov4VJKuF5E

6. The longest of the video clips (taken by a tourist). Mainly shows the indoor deck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy_8mZbhKfo

It was cool seeing these clips, especially the outdoor deck scenes. My last time on the outdoor deck I believe was 1991 (my last time going up at all was 1997, but the outdoor deck was closed that day ) Considering I live in NYC, I regret not having gone more often (then again, who knew there was gonna be a time limit to being able to go up?)

Old Posted Oct 28, 2006, 7:43 AM
Because I'm Clever!

The 107th was a very large floor, as it was almost entirely open space with only 8 elevators and a few columns breaking up what would otherwise be 42,000 square feet.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 5:46 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Looking east from the 1WTC entrance. Taken probably in the 80's before Chase bank moved its operation to near the entrance of the south tower..

Looking northwest into the "Grand Square" of the WTC concourse mall. The columns on the face of the WB store supported 5WTC.

Looking north to the eastern Vessey St. Entrance to 5WTC. The elavtor lobby is on the left sie of the corridor.

Looking southeast to "PATH Square," just to the south of the above photo

Looking west at the escalators to 5WTC plaza level.

Looking east in 5WTC from plaza level down to the concourse from the top of the escalators seen in the last shot.

North WFC bridge, taken from near the entrance to 6WTC.

From between Trade Center 1 and 3. By Mark Millen

Last edited by STR; Oct 31, 2006 at 5:54 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 5:44 AM
BANNED

Great pic, STR!!

Two bad that was all destroyed by ten madmen!!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 5:32 PM

One on of the videos CitySkyline posted some guy goes to the towers the day before the attack. Wow. Great stuff though. I loved the WTC's, wish I had a chance to go.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2006, 7:09 PM
BANNED

Don't feel bad. I never got the chance to visit the towers either.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2006, 4:18 AM
Desert Dweller

The WTC was a huge thing in my Childhood, I lived in California, but as a kid I loved Skyscrapers, I used to draw the Twin Towers all the time.

I even remember making a wish in a fountian, at a church when I was probably in 2nd or 1st Grade, around 1998-2000
"I wish I will work in the World Trade Center and live in New York"

It sucks that I'll never see that dream come true, I never visited the towers in person. My dad did on a business trip in April 2001, he stayed at the Marriott World Financial Center, about 2 blocks from the towers. He said the towers where amazing, he took great pictures.

I should scan then some day.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture