HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 3:17 PM

Hmm the National is interesting. I sort of can't help but love it though. I mean the base is historically preserved craziness, and the top kind of goes toe to toe with it. It's generally not how a project like these goes, (some might call it "disrespectful" to the preserved building) but here it just sort of works. I can't wait for this to get finished up and for that little park next to Elfreth's to be built. I hope they keep the midblock signaled crosswalk and make it permanent. Huge improvements in recent years to this stretch. It makes taking a visator who wants to check out the alley a far less embarrassing experience.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 5:22 PM

I have been told that Comcast is constructing some sort of arena for the Philadelphia Fusion that will break ground in Jan/Feb. Anyone else heard about this?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Hmm the National is interesting. I sort of can't help but love it though. I mean the base is historically preserved craziness, and the top kind of goes toe to toe with it. It's generally not how a project like these goes, (some might call it "disrespectful" to the preserved building) but here it just sort of works. I can't wait for this to get finished up and for that little park next to Elfreth's to be built. I hope they keep the midblock signaled crosswalk and make it permanent. Huge improvements in recent years to this stretch. It makes taking a visator who wants to check out the alley a far less embarrassing experience.
I don't know. I think the national is butt ugly in person. The fact that it's right next to elfreths makes it almost insulting. 218 race looks great and almost mocks the national.

This stretch has been stubbornly resistant to progress in terms of vacant storefront. We're finally seeing a huge shift though as most of the restaurant suppliers are closing shop, giving way to a broader, more diverse set of businesses. On just my block, there is a cool new florist in, a very cool new old-school barber shop under construction and, in the old Economy Restaurant supply shop (which takes up the corner and more) they are putting in a boutique hotel with a bar/restaurant on the ground floor. This is significant as it is the first liquor license allowed between market and race in old city in decades. I'm really psyched about it. This alone will change the vibe in this area. I think the owners are the recently closed DiNardos crab house. I just hope it's not a DiNardis reboot.

Also, there is a plan to put up a hotel/condo further up 2nd Street right across from the bridge building, though in fairness, there seems to be big questions whether this will actually happen. For one, they will need a variance and further, I feel like this particular expansion cycle might be a bit long in the tooth for this to get off the ground before economics make them hit the pause button.

At any rate, I think just a couple of months ago, I was bitching about how this stretch of old city had so far to go still. It seems like it's all changing overnight.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I have been told that Comcast is constructing some sort of arena for the Philadelphia Fusion that will break ground in Jan/Feb. Anyone else heard about this?
No. How big would it be, and where the hell would they put it? Actually, better question. How much would they spend on that? I, for one, am not a fan of esports in any sense of the word, but it doesn't strike me as something you need a venue for. Hell, the PA Convention Center would probably do. But maybe you would know more than I on that matter.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
No. How big would it be, and where the hell would they put it? Actually, better question. How much would they spend on that? I, for one, am not a fan of esports in any sense of the word, but it doesn't strike me as something you need a venue for. Hell, the PA Convention Center would probably do. But maybe you would know more than I on that matter.
I don't lmao, I'm asking for my girlfriend. People on the team have apparently said as much, and she's really excited.
I for one, wholeheartedly agree that it would be a waste of money.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 1:55 AM

Not really a lowrise construction, but a new elevated trail loop is completed near the Water Works

Last edited by Yurkek; Nov 5, 2018 at 2:08 AM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 2:08 AM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Thanks for the update. It was only this summer that construction was in progress. Will have to pay a visit over there soon.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
This stretch has been stubbornly resistant to progress in terms of vacant storefront. We're finally seeing a huge shift though as most of the restaurant suppliers are closing shop, giving way to a broader, more diverse set of businesses. On just my block, there is a cool new florist in, a very cool new old-school barber shop under construction and, in the old Economy Restaurant supply shop (which takes up the corner and more) they are putting in a boutique hotel with a bar/restaurant on the ground floor. This is significant as it is the first liquor license allowed between market and race in old city in decades. I'm really psyched about it. This alone will change the vibe in this area. I think the owners are the recently closed DiNardos crab house. I just hope it's not a DiNardis reboot.
Do they not serve alcohol at Tuna Bar? Place looked pretty cool.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 6:15 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Ha. They sure do. And, the cocktails are yummy too. It's a very good sushi place, but the price is high. I guess it is not about quantity here but quality.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Confirmed. They do. Tuna Bar, Paddy's and Race Street Cafe are the only three establishments north of Market in Old City that have liquor licenses. It was my understanding that anywhere between Market and Race has been blocked because of the now defunct OCCA. With that organization gone, it would seem that north Old City is open for business with regard to liquored establishments. Now, I'm not saying that I want it to become the Old City of yore (lounge fights spilling out into the streets at 2 AM on a Wednesday), but some nice establishments that attract cool people and nice secondary businesses would be great.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 7:07 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

More coming soons:

4 stories, 6 units at 19 South 44th

30 units, unknown height at 525 N 41st

76 units, unknown height at 1150 N American

6 stories, 5 units at corner of Elbow Lane and Bank St in Old City

4-story office building with a nightclub on the top floor slated for big property on the corner of H & Westmoreland near K & A

5 stories, 24 units at Ridge & Parker in Roxborough

2 4 story bldgs, 20 units and 24 units, coming to corner of Ridge Ave and Wallace St

6 4 story bldgs totaling 116 units at Gaul and Tioga

9 duplexes at 958 Cinnaminson in Roxborough

6 stories, 43 units at the Galdo family parcel just below Front & Girard

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
More coming soons:

6 stories, 43 units at the Galdo family parcel just below Front & Girard
the city finally win that court case?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:25 PM

This was in the Spring:
http://www2.philly.com/philly/news/a...-20180423.html

So they ruled that the City COULD be subject to adverse possession but nothing had been decided.

I suppose it's possible they let him keep the small area he improved but I guess as soon as we see the plans they submitted, we'll know.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:36 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ok-ez View Post
the city finally win that court case?
Galdo won in Commonwealth Court last spring and I haven't heard of a City appeal to the PA Supreme Court, so maybe Galdo decided to cash in, his altruistic portrayal in the media accounts notwithstanding.

EDIT: The PA Supreme Court, just last month, granted the City's "petition for allowance of appeal from the order of the Commonwealth Court." But certainly that appeal hasn't been heard or decided yet.

https://law.justia.com/cases/pennsyl...-eal-2018.html

And the Commonwealth Court decision and dissent:

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/pa-commo...t/1892722.html

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
6 stories, 5 units at corner of Elbow Lane and Bank St in Old City
I had wondered what had become of that project. I hope they've altered the look since, what's rendered there will stick out like a sore thumb in the middle of that block - at least from where I sit during the day.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 4:21 PM

Just went by the big development at around 59th and Market and wow does it change the area! It’s freaking huge!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
At least the National doesn't follow that script that so many buildings follow - boring and safe architecture, red brick, and meant to blend in and not be seen. For example, that new development at 4th and Race or that PMC building on Arch Street. Neither are offensive but could they be any more boring of a design? I know I shit on red brick all the time but it's almost always incorporated into super bland/conservative designs. That since-redesigned low rise proposed for 9th and Washington was red brick but it was done in an interesting way.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Just went by the big development at around 59th and Market and wow does it change the area! It’s freaking huge!
Which development is that?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydont View Post
Which development is that?
http://www.phillytrib.com/news/m-com...19857dc69.html

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 8:37 PM

This is their the CDR for 5901 Market

https://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/p...20sign-ins.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development