HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 3:49 AM
cities|transit|croissants

You certainly got around! I haven't even been to Wharf Phase 2 yet. Great set!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2022, 12:32 AM

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Ohioguy is on a role, KC, Columbus, DC..what next..
Haha, nothing for several weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
The contemporary development in this thread is super neat. I like almost all of it.
Something like this for instance is really nice.

It certainly doesn't have to be tall to look cool. When design and materials are ok, it's just alright anyway.
They do good things indeed.
This is a massive improvement over what used to be there when I first moved to DC (2011). It was an old grocery store with a parking lot. Much better now!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2022, 2:21 PM
Red October standing by

amazing. thanks for posting. i need to get back there, seven years has been too long

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 10:01 PM

What a great photo set -- you've captured the essence of residential life in DC spectacularly.

DC does seem to fly a bit under the radar amongst its pier cities yet is no less urbane, and is arguably the cream of the crop in terms of pedestrian-level interaction in small to mid-rise development. The height limit really has played a major role in carving out its unique identity amongst American cities.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 5:38 AM

This is my favorite photo thread in quite a while, thank you for all those waterfront area pics!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 9:36 PM

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
This is my favorite photo thread in quite a while, thank you for all those waterfront area pics!
Wow, that's nice of you to say. I appreciate it! I really enjoyed my time out & about.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 8:11 PM

That is some quality midrise architecture! Very attractive streetscapes as well. I'm impressed.

Anybody know if these neighbouhoods are all exclusively high end or would some areas be considered more working class?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 9:53 PM

^^ Basically the L'Enfant part of the city, which is the core and neighboring residential areas where I mostly focused for this photo thread, are too pricey to buy a single family home like a row house. And you'd likely need to be at least middle income, but better to be upper middle income, if you'd like to buy a modern condo that isn't a studio (though there are some units in various areas that are reserved for lower incomes, as well as various programs such as down payment assistance to help). However, for the areas in this photo thread there are some older buildings from the 60s & 70s in the SW Waterfront area (adjacent to The Wharf), as well as some similar aged buildings in Foggy Bottom, that are a little more affordable. They tend to not have in unit laundry which for me is a deal breaker, but those buildings do offer somewhat affordable options, at least for singles or couples looking to buy... it's still probably a challenge for a family.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 9:56 PM

I'm amazed! We usually have a limited view of Washington, the monuments, the government buildings, but it's a great city with plenty of urban life, combined with quaint and still urban neighbourhoods. I usually think of only Georgetown, but huge swaths of the city has this quality.

Thank you for sharing, Ohio! Another thread with superb pics.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 11:05 PM

Sections of Shaw, Capitol Hill, and NOMA still have levels of affordability because they aren’t completely gentrified but that won’t last too much longer. I’d estimate that within a decade there won’t be anywhere that could be considered affordable.
No. Virginia and Maryland (heading to Baltimore) is considerably more middle working class.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos