HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
It's not an urban setting because the city has chosen to treat the 7's as expressways, even though they run through the heart of central city neighborhoods. That's a choice that can and should be questioned, but instead we keep digging ourselves deeper into a hole.

Chicago's survival of the wound inflicted by the McDonald's you've described there isn't justification for similar injury in Phoenix.
The 7s have been expressways longer than you or I have been alive, I'd think. I'm mid 50s and recall you're around the same, so we've had plenty of time to observe what is and accept it.

Nobody notices the mcdonald's on clark, that's really my point in bringing it up. A whole city grew up around it. Nobody gives a rat's back end about that mcdonald's and it'll be the same story with the chicken filet in phoenix.

You are making an absolute mt. everest out of a mole hill. This is a gigantic city, there's plenty of room for urban development downtown while simultaneously building more commuter, car friendly development on the main thoroughfares surrounding downtown. That's what exists in all the other major cities.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 9:00 PM

Quote:
It's not an urban setting because the city has chosen to treat the 7's as expressways, even though they run through the heart of central city neighborhoods. That's a choice that can and should be questioned, but instead we keep digging ourselves deeper into a hole.

Chicago's survival of the wound inflicted by the McDonald's you've described there isn't justification for similar injury in Phoenix.
Itll be fine, its hardly the biggest problem we have with downtown.

Heres some examples

NYC

Vancouver BC

San Francisco

Also this BP gas station and Drive through Portillos in downtown chicago
https://goo.gl/maps/gAv2iWoQjcVcHS787

Im not trying to be a total dick but It'll be Fine bro.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 9:02 PM

I forgot portillo's had the drive through. I hated that spot. If you want a good hot dog (and a show) go to wiener circle after 10pm up in lincoln park.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 9:09 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

Im not trying to be a total dick but It'll be Fine bro.
You said "dick" right after talking about a hot dog restaurant. My inner 10-year-old is giggling even as I disagree with you about all these urban errors in other cities somehow excusing new ones in Phoenix.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 12:57 AM
Skyriser

This isn't the first example of suburban gentrification in an "urban" environment in Phoenix, and won't be the last. There are countless instances where somebody tore down an old small-scale commercial site, eg, a building built up to the street and limited parking for a drive through. As long as you have cheap land, old buildings, and generic zoning codes that's going to be the norm, although I was almost certain Urban Form banned this sort of crap.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 8:48 PM
self-important urbanista

I walked by the old Downtown Deli location on Central today and noticed the old signs are gone and there a pending liquor license application. The name of the new place appears to be "Liars Club." Anyone know more?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 9:28 PM

Keep in mind that 130 is also the street number for Valley Bar (it's in the basement of that same building) and Valley Bar is owned by Charlie Levy who is pretty big in performance venues.

Liar's Club (I understand the name is possibly a coincidence) is a pretty legendary Chicago bar/venue.

I'm placing a bet that Charlie Levy is opening a second venue that's connected with Valley Bar and it'll be a spinoff of Chicago's Liar's Club. Lots of Illinois businesses come here.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I walked by the old Downtown Deli location on Central today and noticed the old signs are gone and there a pending liquor license application. The name of the new place appears to be "Liars Club." Anyone know more?
Nope, When the original Deli closed it was always supposed to be replaced by a new concept. Years later nothing. But somebody on here months back had mentioned something was going to go in there.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 10:51 PM

Quote:
It's not question of what I or anyone else want to look at. It's a question of all the deleterious impacts on the urban landscape and public health that accrue when vehicles are idling in driveways that interrupt sidewalks and bike lanes and more asphalt is poured in place of buildings and more productive land uses. People who don't share these values have hundreds of square miles of suburbia available to them. It's not as if drive-thrus will ever be banned citywide.

The "7th Avenue is a highway" excuse is just more of the same vicious cycle status quo-ism that prevails among defenders of these drive-thrus. We don't require pedestrian-friendly design, so the environment becomes even more like a highway, further justifying additional development that is hostile towards pedestrians. The cycle never ends, and I'm proud if I come across as "emotional" in opposition to it.

Finally, I'll add that no one is going to come Downtown to eat at a fast food restaurant that has locations throughout the metro area. People who don't already live or work downtown are drawn to visit for events and experiences not replicated everywhere else. Making Downtown just another patch of suburbia with a few high-rises isn't a viable strategy to increase the area's appeal.

Quote:
exit2lef
self-important urbanista
Checks out.

I appreciate your self deprecating self awareness, but considering that lot is surrounded by drive-thru businesses, I doubt the time to draw the line is now if land development is being sought. That day may come once that area becomes more population dense with fewer vehicles. That location is one where the goal is to get in and out quickly. It's not a location where anyone will want to linger.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 10:53 PM

Quote:
I also noticed this when walking by last week. From what I recall, the name of some law firm was tied to the application. It struck me because that's a cheeky way to call the business Liar's Club. I'll have to stop by again to refresh my memory with more specific information.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 2:35 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Keep in mind that 130 is also the street number for Valley Bar (it's in the basement of that same building) and Valley Bar is owned by Charlie Levy who is pretty big in performance venues.

Liar's Club (I understand the name is possibly a coincidence) is a pretty legendary Chicago bar/venue.

I'm placing a bet that Charlie Levy is opening a second venue that's connected with Valley Bar and it'll be a spinoff of Chicago's Liar's Club. Lots of Illinois businesses come here.
Your comment reminds me that back when the Deli Tavern was operating, it acted as the kitchen for Valley Bar. I believe the spaces are connected via an elevator or dumbwaiter. With Deli Tavern closed, Valley Bar's food menu has been coming from Cocina 10 at the Crescent Ballroom. With this new application for a liquor license, I think your theory may well be right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Peace View Post
Checks out.

I appreciate your self deprecating self awareness, but considering that lot is surrounded by drive-thru businesses, I doubt the time to draw the line is now if land development is being sought. That day may come once that area becomes more population dense with fewer vehicles. That location is one where the goal is to get in and out quickly. It's not a location where anyone will want to linger.
The "self-important urbanista" tag came from City-Data Forum. About 15 years ago, someone I enjoy debating there said that supporters of light rail were "self-important urbanistas." I believe in making insults into badges of honor and liked the sound of it, so I'm still using it a decade-and-a-half later. I'm glad it is useful to you as we continue to agree to disagree over this land use.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 9:00 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Apparently there's a big enough demand for multiple locations.
Yeah, they put one of the damn things inside of Chase Field.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 9:08 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
I was talking about accommodating different price points and types of food. The only thing I've criticized is drive-thru lanes and then only in the context of an urban setting.
I get a kick out of listening to people whining about gas prices and then seeing people lined up 10 deep running their engines at Starbucks drive thrus.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 4:19 PM

Bliss ReBAR's Co-Owner Plans a New Restaurant, Coffee Shop, and Bar in Melrose

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...wners-13676527

Quote:
It may sound like a cliché, but it's true, endings often lead to new beginnings. Mark Howard co-owned Bliss ReBAR, a staple in downtown Phoenix known for its brunches, cocktails, and welcoming space often frequented by members of the LGBTQ community. The bar and restaurant closed at the end of May. Howard, along with his co-owners, didn't want to close Bliss ReBAR, which had been open for more than a decade.

"We tried for a good six months, up until April 2022, to try to get a long-term lease agreement with the landlord," he says. "We didn't hear anything for several months and so we had to make a business decision because we couldn't keep going with no communication."

The goal is to make it a community gathering spot that won't be like a strip mall, but something more integrated, Howard says. It will be located on Glenrosa Avenue, in a former auto body shop.
"We wanted tenants that were more symbiotic and synergistic with each other and allowed for a variety of activities to take place," Howard says.

Their hope is to open phase one of the development in late 2022, with Window Coffee Bar, Stem Swag, and Rocco Designs. The other tenants, specifically restaurants and the bar, will open in February 2023.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 7:31 PM
self-important urbanista

Breakfast Bitch is Moving

I was passing by the former Golden Margarita space on Roosevelt today and noticed a pending liquor license sign. The fine print listed "Breakfast Bitch" as the applicant, go I guess that means the bitch is moving one block from the Cambria Hotel to the ground floor space in the Broadstone Roosevelt apartments. The move makes sense because Breakfast Bitch never seemed a good fit as a hotel restaurant.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 8:40 PM

Quote:
I was passing by the former Golden Margarita space on Roosevelt today and noticed a pending liquor license sign. The fine print listed "Breakfast Bitch" as the applicant, go I guess that means the bitch is moving one block from the Cambria Hotel to the ground floor space in the Broadstone Roosevelt apartments. The move makes sense because Breakfast Bitch never seemed a good fit as a hotel restaurant.
Are they taking the ENTIRE space? Or just the "restaurant" portion? I feel like the space is too big for one retailer and should be broken up into 2 separate components. The restaurant space and then the sports bar portion.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Are they taking the ENTIRE space? Or just the "restaurant" portion? I feel like the space is too big for one retailer and should be broken up into 2 separate components. The restaurant space and then the sports bar portion.
I hope not, would prefer at least the rounded section of the corner to be some kind of a bar that is open in the Evenings.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 9:13 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
The sign was on the eastern portion, the one that served as the restaurant and not the event space with the giant screen. I agree that it should be seen as two separate places.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 3:25 PM
Modulator

Quote:
I wonder how this is going to go down since the owner of Breakfast Bitch recently plead guilty to wire fraud?

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...f-1dbd730e9c56

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I wonder how this is going to go down since the owner of Breakfast Bitch recently plead guilty to wire fraud?

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...f-1dbd730e9c56
I would be surprised to see Double-B survive in any form.

Anyone here wanna take over a doomed franchise with a colorful history?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest