HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 8:38 AM
The True Avatar

I should clarify. I think the first tower will be condos. The second, I think might end up as apartments. That is if either gets built.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 7:06 PM

I don't want it to get built in its current state.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 7:10 PM

I really want to see something this edgy come out of the Whole Foods location.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 7:48 PM
The True Avatar

That was the one I was thinking of to Seth. That is the style I hope they follow, or at least something similar.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2005, 4:24 PM

Crane parts are on site for Cobalt. Odd since there's barely much of a hole yet.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2005, 12:17 PM
The True Avatar

I went by Cobalt this morning and I was surprised to see how far they are. No crane yet but the site is moving along nicely. I did not see the crane parts, but it was dark out.
Skyscape has two cranes up. It looks as if the lower level is moving along nicely. It should be going above ground within a month.
The Carlyle is 8 stories tall now. Only 31 more to go.
Still nothing at the IVY. The old tower is illuminated. This was the first time I ever noticed that.
Still a nice hole in the ground for the Eclipse north tower. Hopefully they will be moving soon on this project too.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2005, 4:16 PM

Heres a construction pic of skyscape from oct 2nd, its much further along now:

Old Posted Oct 29, 2005, 9:54 PM
The True Avatar

I hope they put a webcam up at that location. It would be a great location from to which watch it rise.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2005, 9:29 PM

Work has started on the Washington Ave. Live/Work project...

Park Avenue Lofts East scheduled to start construction in December.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2005, 1:17 AM
The True Avatar

Good to hear on the Live/Work project and Park Ave East. Those will help even more with the density growing along the mill district.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2005, 8:33 PM

Six-story upscale condo project planned at Lagoon & Irving

By Anna Pratt
A developer has presented early plans for a six-story, 34-unit condo development at 1609-11 Lagoon Ave. and 2910 Irving Ave. S.

Hornig Companies presented the plan to the East Isles Residents Association (EIRA) on Oct. 18. The condos will replace two houses, a fourplex and a duplex that were all rental properties.

Still in early design phases, the building - with units priced $300,000-$500,000 - will hopefully draw neighborhood residents who're attracted to condo living, said developer John Hornig.

He said the buildings to be demolished are run-down: “We feel like we're removing some blighted properties from the neighborhood.”

He touted the higher unit count as compatible with “smart growth principles with density at a transit corridor. It's a great location to walk to the transit, grocery store and lakes.”

Aesthetically, the condos take cues from historic structures in the area for a more traditional look. The setback and roofline will also be on par with neighboring buildings, he said.

The developer would also remove a curb cut from Lagoon Avenue for access through the alley, increasing pedestrian safety since cars could not enter and exit there.

Hornig, a third-generation developer, owns and manages many Uptown properties and 1,000 units total in Minneapolis, including the development's next-door neighbor at 1619 Lagoon Ave. The company has been in the area for 50 years. That means “we care about Uptown,” he said.

Eventually, Hornig will probably need to acquire some conditional-use permits (CUP) including a CUP for an R6 development of five or more units and CUP for buildings over 35 feet tall in the Shoreland Overlay District.

At the EIRA meeting, there was a lot of discussion about what kind of shadow the six-story building would cast. Since Hornig's plans are still preliminary, they didn't have an answer for that but said they would research it further and share findings with the neighborhood.

The next step for Hornig will be to bring the project back to the neighborhood.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2005, 8:35 PM

This one actually kind of concerns me, I have not yet had to side with the NIMBYS, however, I wouldn't want to see many of those buildings in that area torn down. If that started to happen I would have to say it would actually begin to "affect the character of the neighborhood". If there is any, its in the apartment buildings and houses in that area. Anyone agree? I am all for empty lots and blighted properties being developed, I just wouldn't want to see perfectly good old structures being demolished (which a couple of these are)everywhere, this is the kind of thing I think the NIMBYs should worry about, not building heights on empty blocks.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2005, 8:36 PM
The True Avatar

6 STORIES???????
Not in that area!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2005, 9:08 PM

I am not talking about the height, where did you get that? I didn't even mention it! I am talking about the demolitions. I could care less about the height, its the demolition of apartment buildings in that area that concerns me! THere area some beautiful old buildings in that area that have a lot of character, one of the only parts of the city with old density.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2005, 11:32 PM
The True Avatar

I agree with you completely. That area has many very nice rental units in older buildings that have alot of style. Plus that area needs to keep as many rental units as it can. They might end up being saturated with condos too soon at this rate.
The 6 story comment, has to do with the possible height issue many of the NIMBY's there will have. I do not care about height as much as I do design. I am much more concerned about losing the older rental units (if they are the nicer units, which they probably are) and also the planned style.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2005, 11:38 PM

ah, sweet we are on the same page

Old Posted Nov 7, 2005, 12:32 AM

I had no idea so much was going on in Minne. I hope all of these projects get off the ground, the Nicolett especially. That design will fit in very nicely in Minneapolis' skyline. The Carlyle is nice, too. Love the art deco flair going on there

Old Posted Nov 7, 2005, 4:25 AM
. . . . . . .

STAR TRIBUNE

Editorial: Land swap might help new library

Pelli's beautiful building deserves a more aesthetic setting.

November 4, 2005

It's a bit like eating a celebrated chef's sumptuous dinner on a paper plate, or hearing a top composer's elegant new work played by a jug band. Minneapolis' stunning new central library is rising on a moonscape of parked cars, barren sidewalks and scrap-lumber fences. Cesar Pelli, the acclaimed architect, can't be happy about that, but that's Minneapolis. The city cares much about its buildings and little about their settings.

But context matters. It matters especially in a downtown that's banking on transit and pedestrian vitality to aid its revival. On Nicollet Mall's empty north end, revival won't happen until City Hall actively pursues ways to surround the new library with a greener, more inviting cityscape.

Efforts to develop the city-owned block just north of the library suffered another setback in September when no bidder emerged to place housing above the existing Metro Transit station, which was to have been moved underground. Instead, the Opus Group, owner of two other empty blocks next to the library, proposed a land swap. It would build the sought-after residential towers north of the library if the city would arrange for the bus station to be moved to the old Powers department store site, next to the Nicollet Mall light-rail stop. Opus would get air rights over the station for an office tower to be built when the market improves.

It's an intriguing idea with severe complications.

First, Metro Transit would have to agree to the new bus location. Second, two smaller parcels on the Powers block would have to be acquired for any new underground station to succeed. Third, bus traffic in and out of the station would have to comport to changes now being studied in bus and auto traffic movements downtown.

In addition, the city should require Opus to agree to certain things before any deal is struck, among them:

• To actually build the residential and office towers within a certain time frame, and to develop the block immediately east of the library. The company has been sitting on these properties for decades.

• To include in all of these projects a generous swath of public greening that would, in essence, extend Gateway Park from Washington Avenue, past the library, to the LRT station at 5th Street and Nicollet Mall. It's this linear park that would help give the library the green context it deserves, as well as provide an inviting pedestrian link from riverfront condos to the LRT station and downtown shopping.

If Minneapolis is to capitalize on its downtown housing boom it must greatly upgrade walkways and public spaces. The new library deserves a better setting than it's getting.

Last edited by Ecker; Nov 7, 2005 at 8:17 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2005, 4:47 AM

I was shocked when I first saw Minneapolis. Somehow, I assumed the place would be an urbanist's dream instead of the bombed-out landscape I saw. Don't ge me wrong. I think Minneapolis is great. Any city that still has department stores downtown, a condo boom, and some classic skyscrapers is clearly a winner. What isn't a winner, however, are the eyesore gaps where fine-grained development ought to be.

I also get that the climate means people will tend to drive a lot, particularly when it's very cold. Hence, the terrible parking garages and surface parking lots seemingly everywhere. Over time, I hope Minneapolis gets its city back from the cars. It won't be easy, and it won't be quick. Don't give up.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2005, 4:57 AM

"Minneapolis' stunning new central library"
hah! what a crock of steamy shit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations