HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 2:52 PM

Regina Civic Politics

Figure something like this could use a thread of its own.

Primary reason for me wanting to create this is the forthcoming civic election this fall that now looks like it'll actually be a contested one with the announcement that Jerry Flegel will be running as well.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 3:51 PM
arf

Nice. Thanks yveseluj.

I wish the media would stop portraying defunding the police as no dollars for police. The concept is in reducing spend on militarizing the police and moving spend to de-escalation training.

Nice to see an alternative to the incumbent in Regina's mayoral race. It seems like it has been many elections since it seems like there was more than one reasonable option.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 4:06 PM

Flegel is a special kind of corrupt. I don't like Fougere, but Flegel's pro development at all costs philosophy is terrible.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Flegel is a special kind of corrupt. I don't like Fougere, but Flegel's pro development at all costs philosophy is terrible.
His platform seems to be to want to develop the railyards and have something to show for it by next year.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Nice. Thanks yveseluj.

I wish the media would stop portraying defunding the police as no dollars for police. The concept is in reducing spend on militarizing the police and moving spend to de-escalation training.

Nice to see an alternative to the incumbent in Regina's mayoral race. It seems like it has been many elections since it seems like there was more than one reasonable option.
Perhaps the people that coined that phrase should have thought of thought first? Defunding means taking away money, no?

Anyway, I don't wanna sidetrack this thread. It's nice to see that the 25% of eleigible voters who actually vote have another candidate besides that crazy guy who lives off the grid somewhere in the city.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 6:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
Figure something like this could use a thread of its own.

Primary reason for me wanting to create this is the forthcoming civic election this fall that now looks like it'll actually be a contested one with the announcement that Jerry Flegel will be running as well.
Flegel is clearly out of touch with reality if he thinks 40 new police officers will solve anything.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 6:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Perhaps the people that coined that phrase should have thought of thought first? Defunding means taking away money, no?

Anyway, I don't wanna sidetrack this thread. It's nice to see that the 25% of eleigible voters who actually vote have another candidate besides that crazy guy who lives off the grid somewhere in the city.
I think we need to teach people to be smarter than judging something by its title only. Whether it’s Black Lives Matters, defunding the police or “make America great again”. Focusing on just the title itself instead of learning the context and intention behind it proves people don’t actually care to understand what these things mean and would rather have an emotional, knee-jerk reaction. Everything nowadays has to be marketed so perfectly and it’s making us dumber and more susceptible to snake oil salesmen who only say the right things because of it.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
I think we need to teach people to be smarter than judging something by its title only. Whether it’s Black Lives Matters, defunding the police or “make America great again”. Focusing on just the title itself instead of learning the context and intention behind it proves people don’t actually care to understand what these things mean and would rather have an emotional, knee-jerk reaction. Everything nowadays has to be marketed so perfectly and it’s making us dumber and more susceptible to snake oil salesmen who only say the right things because of it.
I agree people should do more than just read the headlines but "defund the police" is on the surface a pretty specific term that really means only one thing as it reads so I don't fault people who don't understand the actual things people are asking for. I was really just replying to the poster who said it was the media's fault when it wasn't actually the media who coined the term.

Now back to the election...

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 8:32 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
I agree people should do more than just read the headlines but "defund the police" is on the surface a pretty specific term that really means only one thing as it reads so I don't fault people who don't understand the actual things people are asking for. I was really just replying to the poster who said it was the media's fault when it wasn't actually the media who coined the term.

Now back to the election...
To clarify, it is the article posted.

"To address concerns around public safety, the councillor said he would bolster the police budget in the city, claiming that the Regina Police Service (RPS) is currently short approximately 40 officers. At the same time, Flegel said addressing the concerns of the Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement would also be a part of his public safety platform. That’s despite the fact that defunding the police is a key demand of many BLM activists."

Which is poorly written or shows the author knows little about what they are writing about.

Okay, enough derailing the thread, but the article really irritated me.

I'm thinking this years' school board elections might be a little more interesting than usual.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 8:33 PM

https://globalnews.ca/news/7288448/r...ral-candidate/

Quote:
Flegel also responded to recent allegations leveled on the Victims Voices Regina Instagram page.

The anonymous post describes an incident involving Flegel and a woman at a charity event in 2015.

“I’m quite comfortable in my past,” Flegel said “My answer to that as well is that I’ve got a plan for the future and if you want to look at my past — you have a window in a car and a rear-view mirror. I’d rather look at the big window.”
What a terrible god damn answer.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 10:20 PM

Looks lie it'll be virtual acclamation yet again.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 2:33 AM

Fougere is a god-awful mayor, but Flegel is probably the worst option on council right now and I hate a lot of them!

I'd vote for Mancinelli as mayor. He doesn't seem to enjoy being a councillor and that might be a good thing!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 3:20 AM

Flegel wanted baseball stadium on the railyards and to develop Taylor Field into a parking lot. I don't know if he's much of an alternative to Fougere.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 4:29 PM

Hey, a non-white male running for mayor!

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/former-rea...race-1.5107245

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 4:38 PM

Hopefully we get some actual policy promises instead of just a tax freeze and a baseball stadium.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 4:39 PM

Excellent. Sounds like a strong candidate. The summary CBC posted this week of the six mayoral candidates was not encouraging. Fougere needs real competition. More on her policies in this article.

https://www.620ckrm.com/2020/09/16/s...mayoral-race/?

Last I looked, it appeared that Bresciani, Findura and Hawkins are the only councilors who are not facing opposition in the election. Mancinelli could have a tough time as I think he has a strong competitor against him.

Definitely encouraging to see some different faces and some interest in running for council.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 1:07 AM

On a related note, I expect Jane Ekong (Public School Trustee, div 1) won't win if she seeks re-election. She's been in for 2 terms. I think Ted Jaleta can beat her.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 1:14 AM

I'm pretty much sold on Masters.

I don't even care if she's perfect. She's just an alternative to that conniving ass, Fougere.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
I'm pretty much sold on Masters.

I don't even care if she's perfect. She's just an alternative to that conniving ass, Fougere.
Do you think she has a chance? I am 100% on board with voting against pretty much everyone involved in Regina politics on the small chance that the replacement (whoever) would be better.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Do you think she has a chance? I am 100% on board with voting against pretty much everyone involved in Regina politics on the small chance that the replacement (whoever) would be better.
I'm hearing rumors that the business community is starting to gear up in support of her. Obviously to some that would be worrying, but at this point I think change is good.

I think she has a good chance if she spends the money to get name recognition. Nobody really loves Fougere at all so she basically just needs to become a name and she has a real chance, I think.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan