HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 9:36 PM

Updated plans for 221 Stradbrook Apartments going before City Community Committee next week.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 9:39 PM

^ The parkade is ugly and surprisingly big for a supposed TOD, but at least the apartment building itself is bringing some density.

It looks kind of like Osborne Place's big brother.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 9:45 PM

I guess they tried to hide the parkade by putting different facade materials to break it up, along with some aluminum mesh and a coloured "art feature wall", which is noted in the planning report, but still...

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 9:51 PM

Horrible considering its a TOD, there should be three of those building on that site not a giant parkade.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 11:19 PM
BANNED

yeah, this is completely backwards...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 2:26 AM
BANNED

F*ckin gross.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 4:36 AM

The tower and CRU is good – parkade bad. Parkade should be integrated with a(nother) tower on top, like the one across the street at 240 Stradbrook, but still with that CRU.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 5:01 AM
Back from the dead

Not a fan of the colour scheme. Just looks so commie-blockie to me. I know, I know...not really a commie block. Just looks like a throwback to me.

As well, if that's their plan for use of the property then they either don't have the money to build a second or third tower or they just don't want to make as much money on it.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 5:12 AM

I'd seriously rather they just duplicate 240 Stradbrook as is (newer finishings) and put a CRU on either side of the lobby. Problem solved – building is already designed, with an integrated and hidden parkade.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 1:59 PM

Based on the lot plan, looks like about 50 - 55% of the site is the parkade.

Ground Floor

Third Floor

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 2:23 PM

That's ridiculous. Build it like the hated proposed parkade/office for Bannatyne, but taller and with CRU, lol. It should either be like this with the townhouses like originally, or you can't use half the land as a parkade – especially such a small one.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 8:11 PM

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ou...485695171.html

Quote:
Committee approves 18-storey Stradbrook Avenue apartment tower
June 12 City Centre community committee roundup
By: Staff
Posted: 06/15/2018 2:54 PM

A set of dilapidated tennis courts will make way for a 146-unit apartment tower on Stradbrook Avenue following a decision by City Centre community committee.

On June 12, councillors Cindy Gilroy (Daniel McIntyre) and John Orlikow (River Heights-Fort Garry) approved site plans for an 18-storey residential complex with a three and a half level parkade at 221 Stradbrook Ave., south of the Winnipeg Winter Club.

Coun. Jenny Gerbasi (Fort Rouge-East Fort Garry), who represents the neighbourhood, was excused from the meeting.

The tower will be built at the current site of four abandoned tennis courts, formerly owned by the Winnipeg Winter Club.

According to documents submitted to the City, the building’s Stradbrook facade include street-level uses that will be visible from outside (a common area, commercial space, and stairwells) running half the length of the building. Adjacent to the parkade, a dog run, accent lighting, landscaping and seating will help diminish the view of the 175-stall structure from the street.

The overall material used for the tower is a white and dark grey ribbed concrete intended to create visual interest when coupled with a vertical LED light bar.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Horrible considering its a TOD
The irony of approving a TRANSIT-oriented development that consists of this much private parking for cars is too much for me.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
The irony of approving a TRANSIT-oriented development that consists of this much private parking for cars is too much for me.
have there been any developments built or proposed for along the transitway that are actually transit-oriented in their design? the ones in fort rouge seem to have just as much parking as townhouse type developments anywhere else in the city.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 3:39 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
have there been any developments built or proposed for along the transitway that are actually transit-oriented in their design? the ones in fort rouge seem to have just as much parking as townhouse type developments anywhere else in the city.
The problem lies in the fact that the transitway is half-assed and in its current state could never spur the type of real TOD we see in other places.

Because we literally can't even build a whole line of half decent functional rapid transit, we end up with half baked excuses for TOD because we don't have the balls to take the necessary steps to provide real mass transit. The result is that people pretty much still need a car. As beggars we can't be choosers when it comes to this sort of development when we can't even provide the preconditions for good development to take place.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 4:56 PM

I thought the parkade was to be townhouse units like 300 Assiniboine. So that's terrible. And the transitway that's there now is the best Winnipeg will have for some time.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
That's true, we shouldn't even be calling these developments TOD. They are just developments. Both this one and the one in fort rough could have easily have taken place with no transit line at all as they are both good locations for the types of housing built/proposed there.

As it stands now, the rapid transit is really only good for U of M students so unless these developments are pushed as student housing (small and affordable) then chances are the people moving in will have a car and need parking.

I took the rapid transit line during my last year as a student at U of M and it was fantastic. Cut down on the transit time from like 45 min to 20-25 min during busy times. However once I graduated I had basically no reason to take the rapid line anymore and eventually just got a car.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
The problem lies in the fact that the transitway is half-assed and in its current state could never spur the type of real TOD we see in other places.

Because we literally can't even build a whole line of half decent functional rapid transit, we end up with half baked excuses for TOD because we don't have the balls to take the necessary steps to provide real mass transit. The result is that people pretty much still need a car. As beggars we can't be choosers when it comes to this sort of development when we can't even provide the preconditions for good development to take place.
I have to say quite a bit of the development in Fort Rouge is looking good. Fairly dense midrise buildings. Sure there's parking, but it is a residential neighbourhood. There's still lots of developable land to go, and quite a bit of it (along the transitway) is marked for high density. I think the high density will start to become more attractive to build as the area starts filling in, and the transitway is finished. Would be a great place for students to live – not expensive as downtown, but central and easily accessible to both unis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I thought the parkade was to be townhouse units like 300 Assiniboine. So that's terrible. And the transitway that's there now is the best Winnipeg will have for some time.
It was dropped after the first proposal and for some reason the city has allowed it to go forward without the townhouses. Inexcusable.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
That's true, we shouldn't even be calling these developments TOD. They are just developments. Both this one and the one in fort rough could have easily have taken place with no transit line at all as they are both good locations for the types of housing built/proposed there.

As it stands now, the rapid transit is really only good for U of M students so unless these developments are pushed as student housing (small and affordable) then chances are the people moving in will have a car and need parking.

I took the rapid transit line during my last year as a student at U of M and it was fantastic. Cut down on the transit time from like 45 min to 20-25 min during busy times. However once I graduated I had basically no reason to take the rapid line anymore and eventually just got a car.
I think the best TOD is the Parker Lands development. I thought that looked great.

I have a car but I love using the RT line whenever I go downtown. It's easy and quick to use. I went to Jazz fest this weekend and used it to get downtown. The bus was packed with people.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I have to say quite a bit of the development in Fort Rouge is looking good. Fairly dense midrise buildings. Sure there's parking, but it is a residential neighbourhood. There's still lots of developable land to go, and quite a bit of it (along the transitway) is marked for high density. I think the high density will start to become more attractive to build as the area starts filling in, and the transitway is finished. Would be a great place for students to live – not expensive as downtown, but central and easily accessible to both unis.

It was dropped after the first proposal and for some reason the city has allowed it to go forward without the townhouses. Inexcusable.
The city told them they needed more parking and instead of adding another level of parking they took out the town houses. it's too bad, I liked the townhouses.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan