HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 9:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
That’s too bad... such a missed opportunity for Nutrien to utilize it both as an educational/art area for tourists and field trips for kids while also allowing it to be useable for employees to go at lunch. One can only hope our next largest tower - (probably anchored by BHP or Federated Co-op) will eventually make Saskatoon a city with a tower that tourists can go to the top to view our city. With such massive public investment into river landing it’s actually a shame that the city didn’t make that a requirement.
I totally agree. I'd love a chance to check it out up there. It looks amazing! I love to eat, and it's hard not to imagine a great restaurant and bar up there. Lucky employees, I guess!

Such a fantastic development! Very beautiful.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 4:13 PM

Really??? That is very disappointing! I was really hoping for some kind of public access to the 'winter garden' atriums. I hope they may reconsider it if leasing of space/building is not what they hoped. May help bottom line to have some kind of attraction up there.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 6:59 PM

edited

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 6:01 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 5:40 PM

just bumpin the cam

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 6:47 PM
Peddling to progress

Lol I did just complete a move to BC for the weather but...

I don't think a winter walk is just for the hardcore. I walked all of last winter to work from Nutana to 4th Avenue. There were about 5 days that I bit the bullet and paid for a downtown surface lot. Many of my co-workers at our firm who were too junior for a parkade spot did the same.

The weather did not keep me or any of my co-workers from walking three or four blocks for lunch or coffee, so I don't think skywalks or tunnels are necessary. That being said a few well placed ones would get some use and not ruin the views.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 4:15 PM

Exactly my point though FarmerHaight - you own a vehicle for those cold days and managed to find a parking spot - expensive!. That’s $20,000+ for the cold days! It’s whacky when a few tunnels and skywalks could remove the need for this AND incentivize you to move closer to downtown.

I got rid of my second vehicle and walk to work, and then take cabs on the coldest of days. So expensive when I could just move to Calgary or Winnipeg’s downtown and buy a condo for the same price attached to their skywalks.

My old coworkers in winnipeg would also go for 5km walks down Winnipeg’s skywalks during their lunches in the winter/ or windy summer days. Skywalks are win for consumer cost savings, win for incentivizing people to live downtown, win for healthy lives in the winter.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 9:43 PM
danylo66

Quote:
Originally Posted by danylo66 View Post
The pace of construction seems to have really slowed down, at least the visible progress has appeared very slow after what was a fast spring/early summer. Does anyone know when the exterior work is expected to be completed so that the crane can come down? When is a topping off ceremony to take place?
To follow up on my earlier question, does anyone know when the crane will be coming down and when the topping off ceremony will take place?

Now would be time for the camera to move to the south side, although I realize that is not an option.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 4:05 AM

The crane will likely be down within 2 months. Due to Covid, there was not a public topping off ceremony like was held for the East Tower. There was an appreciation luncheon for the workers on site, but no formal ceremony with guests & press, etc.

Also, you’re correct with your assumption that the web cam won’t be moving to the south side.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 5:43 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Exactly my point though FarmerHaight - you own a vehicle for those cold days and managed to find a parking spot - expensive!. That’s $20,000+ for the cold days! It’s whacky when a few tunnels and skywalks could remove the need for this AND incentivize you to move closer to downtown.
I didn't only own a vehicle for the cold days though. If you live in Saskatoon you are almost guaranteed to venture out of the city to visit friends, go golfing or road trip to Rider games; all of these are completely unrelated to cold weather, so the more relevant cost is paying $20 to park for a day.

As far as exercise: if you live in a condo and work in an office building you are almost guaranteed to have a gym in one building or the other. If you live in the suburbs you can stop at a gym on the way to or from work. If you want a free place to walk you can join the retired folks at Market Mall. The parking is even free!

Saskatoon's downtown isn't dense enough to justify skywalks or tunnels, and the layout of most buildings isn't conducive to adding access anyways.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 5:55 PM
danylo66

Thank you Crisis!

Would you happen to know when they will be to the point that they will be able to fully reopen 19th Street? Or is that not going to happen until next summer?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 6:17 PM

I’ve gone down to 1 vehicle in my family and it easily works - I don’t even have any family in Saskatoon so lots of driving around SK still, leaving my partner vehicless. It’s definitely doable - but biggest detractor to it for both my partner and I though is the lack of ease in regards to walks to work, haircuts, to vote, etc. on those stormy days in the summer and Dec-April - so basically half the year I struggle and think about getting a second car again. Could be solved with skywalks. I’m only thinking of the 90% of people in the world that wouldn’t even consider moving here because they think Saskatoon is basically a desolate cold part of Russia. Our city’s a hard sell already - 500 other cities in the world have as beautiful summers as we do. We need to start some skywalks somewhere . River Landing would have been a perfect place to start interconnecting these towers with beautiful skywalks - something like what Tencent did with their tower in Shenzhen would have actually made this project an impressive tourist attraction.

I’m one of many people who could gladly go not spending a single day outside for an entire winter. I know I’m a far majority of people becayse that’s why Calgary and Vancouver grow so much faster than its cold prairie neighbors. The whole purpose of this project was to encourage more corporate employees to want to move from Calgary to Saskatoon - a first of its kind. It failed at that.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danylo66 View Post
Thank you Crisis!

Would you happen to know when they will be to the point that they will be able to fully reopen 19th Street? Or is that not going to happen until next summer?
Not sure about the status of 19th street. Although the exterior is mostly complete, there is still lots of work to take place inside and only so much access to the site. i wouldn't think they're in a big hurry to fully re-open 19th, but that's just my gut reaction.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 6:47 PM

edited

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 6:01 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 3:21 PM

Wow nice find that is one pile of aerials nice

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 2:21 PM

edited

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 6:02 PM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 3:49 PM

I don't often watch CTV local news, but they had a spectacular evening shot of River Landing from the East side of the river. I assume their "tower cam" is on the top of the Victoria Tower concrete building at the the top of the Traffic Bridge. It was really a great 'live shot' with lights on buildings and traffic crossing bridge. (about 6:10-pm)

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 2:37 PM

edited

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 6:02 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 8:21 PM

looks like the crane is being taken down.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 9:35 PM

Not sure why that makes me sad....

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 5:52 PM
danylo66

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Not sure why that makes me sad....
Yes, sad on the one hand but excited on the other to see the full development completed with the Nasser Garden open and hopefully new restaurants and retailers moved in.

My impatience also wants to see something major and impressive started very soon in parcel D. With developers moving ahead with great projects on Spadina and (hopefully) Broadway there should be interest in the Parcel D property.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan