HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 8:17 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Geography is a huge reason to why the rust belt should be limited to the Ohio river and Great lakes, inland industrial towns that were reliant on rail, barge, and lake shipping to get their products out to the rest of the country and world.

That is the reason Baltimore and NYC and Philly are not "rust belt" they may have had factories but a much longer and more important part of their economies and histories are shipping goods from the interior out to the world and importing goods from the world for the heartland to consume.

Importing and exporting is a large reason why the East coast was and is the primary financial hub. (same reason its primarily San Francisco in the west)

Chicago is a little more unique as it became an inland shipping center for the entire Midwest, both industrial and agricultural hence the commodities market.

So yes geography is absolutely inseparable from economics and culture and defining a term like the "rust belt"
First of all, do you know why this area is called the 'Rust Belt' to begin with? It isn't about who had manufacturing the longest or even the specific industry but areas who shared a common pattern of post war de-industrialization. It's only geographic in that heavy industry as well as the US population were heavily concentrated in the Midwest and Northeast. The South, Texas, and West were still largely underpopulated. And were not known for manufacturing but mostly agriculture. Texas was all about ranching and later oil.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't lend any more weight to this guy's idea of how to define the Rust Belt than I would to his idea of how to spell Cincinnati or Niagara. Why exactly are we assuming he's an authority on these things...?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 9:39 PM

For the record, under Obadno's definition of the Northeast, neither my New Hampshire lands nor Bernie Sanders' hometown since the '60s are "in the Northeast".

My two cents from having been to Springfield, Massachusetts various times during the early 2000s is that you can hardly get more Rust Belt than that.

I'm also noting that Obadno's more restrictive definition of Rust Belt would defeat the point: just call it "the Midwest", then. There's a reason both terms exist. Similarly, if "the Sun Belt" was defined as being Arizona only, then we'd simply call it Arizona.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 9:53 PM
Dryer lint inspector

This is probably a pretty accurate map of the Rust Belt...

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 10:24 PM

lol, is it really too much to ask for a Rust Belt map that can spell Cincinnati correctly?

Yours even managed to get both sides of the Ohio River wrong (i.e. spelling Covington wrong in addition to spelling Cincinnati wrong).

Maybe it's just me but it seems to me that if I'm going to make a map, I'm going to make sure I get the place names on it right. That's pretty basic stuff.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 10:29 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
"Automotive" should also encompass the rest of Southwestern Ontario and the GTA, there are car and car parts factories strung along the 401 corridor from Windsor to Oshawa, along the QEW and in the NorthWestern part of the GTA.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 10:32 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
lol, is it really too much to ask for a Rust Belt map that can spell Cincinnati correctly?

Yours even managed to get both sides of the Ohio River wrong (i.e. spelling Covington wrong in addition to spelling Cincinnati wrong).

Maybe it's just me but it seems to me that if I'm going to make a map, I'm going to make sure I get the place names on it right. That's pretty basic stuff.
That and..Eerie, Binghamton, Wikes-Barre... but they spelled Schenectady correctly..

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 10:33 PM
BANNED

Can we talk about what the East Coast is again?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post

How about Lake Eerie and Eerie, Pennsylvania?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
That and..Eerie, Binghamton, Wikes-Barre... but they spelled Schenectady correctly..
Beat me to it!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 10:36 PM

Cumberland, MD... Harrisburg, PA... Altoona, PA... York, PA... are major omissions on that map.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
not that wikipedia is the final arbiter of anything, but most people could probably stand to give this link a read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_Belt
rust

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
How about Lake Eerie and Eerie, Pennsylvania?
Yikes(-Barre)! Who let this guy make a map? Should hand over his mapmaking license.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions