HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 4:20 AM

PHILADELPHIA | The Arbour House @ 708 Sansom | 414 FT | 35 FLOORS

Title: The Arbour House @ 708 Sansom
Project: Luxury condominiums, retail
Architect: SLCE
Developer: Pearl Properties (nee Toll Bros)
District: Center City
Neighborhood: Washington Square West
Floors: 35
Height: 414 ft

A Revamped Design for Jeweler’s Row Tower at 7th & Sansom

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...at-7th-sansom/

Plan Philly article:
http://planphilly.com/articles/2017/...on-square-west

Philly.com article:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...ower-plan.html

Philadelphia Business Journal article:
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...enderings.html

Last edited by summersm343; Jan 25, 2024 at 2:43 AM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 5:31 AM

Height is nice and it's set back from the street with a somewhat appropriate podium. Facade looks like it will be cheap.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 7:06 AM

Toll can suck on a bag of rotten walnuts. This Dr. Jekyll/ Mr. Hyde Facade treatment looks ridiculous and cheap. They can't even preserve the facades and yet they replace them with that boring crap? If you can't preserve history, then you better propose something damn impressive to replace it. this project sucks.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Toll can suck on a bag of rotten walnuts. This Dr. Jekyll/ Mr. Hyde Facade treatment looks ridiculous and cheap. They can't even preserve the facades and yet they replace them with that boring crap? If you can't preserve history, then you better propose something damn impressive to replace it. this project sucks.
I think this is all a negotiating tactic. If you look at the podium, they are setting up things to be able to keep the facades. Keeping the facades will be the trade off to defeat all the other arbitrary NIMBY complaints.

If they ram this through as is, I see this as a serious mistake. For as much as you don’t necessarily need to kiss the City’s butt to be successful, it’s unwise to run roughshod over them and make them look inept in front of their constituencies.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I think this is all a negotiating tactic. If you look at the podium, they are setting up things to be able to keep the facades. Keeping the facades will be the trade off to defeat all the other arbitrary NIMBY complaints.

If they ram this through as is, I see this as a serious mistake. For as much as you don’t necessarily need to kiss the City’s butt to be successful, it’s unwise to run roughshod over them and make them look inept in front of their constituencies.
I don't know, Kenney seems to have given his blessing per his quote in the philly.com article:

Quote:
Mayor Kenney, who had earlier called on Toll Bros. to at least preserve the existing buildings’ facades as part of the development plan, said in an emailed statement that the proposal presented Tuesday was “respectful of the design elements present on the block frontage.”

“I do believe that Toll Bros. remains committed to maintaining Jewelers Row as a historical, cultural gem,” Kenney said.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Other then the ongoing lawsuit relating to the posting of this proposal, I thought this was a "by right" building, meaning Toll doesn't need to negotiate. They aren't asking the City for anything. Who knows, maybe they would like to go a few floors taller and they are trying to put themselves into a good trading position.

I just realized that on some of the drawings the east end is windowless brick and in other drawings the north window wall wraps partial around the corner on the east end. I really don't think much of this design but the blank end walls really blows.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 5:39 PM

It's some what of a conscience that the police raided V Jewelers on this block yesterday. They can't close some of these POS stores quick enough.

Just to float another opinion of mine: the blank brick wall sucks

Last edited by TempleGuy1000; Jan 25, 2017 at 5:54 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
It's someone what of a conscience that the police raided V Jewelers on this block yesterday. They can't close some of these POS stores quick enough.

Just to float another opinion of mine: the blank brick wall sucks
Wow hadn't heard of that. for anyone who's interested here's more info

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...burglary-ring/

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 12:17 PM

I think it's pretty cool, would like a unit on the glass side

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 12:57 PM

They're only replacing what, 3 of the building on Jewelers Row? Maybe I didn't keep up with the details, but I thought it was going to be much more extensive then that.

Seems like a big stink was raised for nothing IMO

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydont View Post
They're only replacing what, 3 of the building on Jewelers Row? Maybe I didn't keep up with the details, but I thought it was going to be much more extensive then that.

Seems like a big stink was raised for nothing IMO
They are nice buildings that are being torn down and the historical dimensions of a special street in the commercial history of the city (going way back before it was a jewelery district) is being substantially altered. This is not "much ado about nothing".

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
They are nice buildings that are being torn down and the historical dimensions of a special street in the commercial history of the city (going way back before it was a jewelery district) is being substantially altered. This is not "much ado about nothing".
Please elaborate.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
This is not "much ado about nothing".
No offense guys but this isn't some random block in Center City, it's Jewelers' Effin' Row. You don't tear shit like this down in my mind:

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 1:32 PM

At first I (like many others) was very bothered that they would be tearing down a portion of Jeweler's Row, it is absolutely a historic part of the city that makes Philly what it is. Then I learned that these properties were never added to the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places...and it kind of just made me sad. We lag behind other cities with protecting our historic properties, I can't even get too angry at Toll Brothers on this one. They saw an opportunity and and pursued it.

I don't want to see the properties go, but I think the city screwed up here and the developer can't entirely be blamed. As far as the building goes, it's a big 'meh' from me. The ground level looks more like a converted warehouse to me than anything else, not terrible but it doesn't necessarily integrate seamlessly into the neighborhood. If they agreed to leave the facades I would be behind this 100%.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 12:58 PM

I understand why the first three stories are made to look like the buildings they plan to tear down, but I don't understand why they didn't go with all glass on the Sansom side tower. Looks weirdly split in two, like a building version of a mullet - business in the front, party in the back.

Are there any appeals outstanding on the demolition permits? I thought they had arguments that they were illegally posted, that would allow for the historical nomination to proceed, but I haven't heard anything more about that.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 1:38 PM

Am I wrong to say that I like this proposal and design.

Best part - this is going to get built!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 1:42 PM

It sorta reminds me of the new Penn med building at 8 and walnut with the glass and brick mix. The units on the south side will be awesome, floor to ceiling windows, good sun, great views, I can't wait to see what price psf they try to hit.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 1:43 PM

Fine with the base. Fine with the height. The blank walls are insane. This would have killer views once it cleared the Curtis, but nope, let's throw up a shit-ton of fake brick and alucobond.

Obvious 30 second photoshop:

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 2:50 PM

Id rather preserve the buildings, but I honestly dont mind the street level frontage, its the rest of the building that sucks. It looks like they're trying to do some faux loft style design but stretched over 28 stories, which the people to the north get to look at, and then a "modern" glass wall for the people of the square to look at. Its boring and in 2017, kind of run of the mill. Could float in collowhill, not here

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 3:07 PM

Hard to separate feelings on this.

If this weren't on Jewelers Row, I think people would have a better opinion of this. I'd love the podium if it were on Callowhill street but here it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I think if they chose different finishes that were more "period correct" for the street level (like painted wood trim work etc.), it would look better but what the hail do I know.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals